Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
wonghyf
wonghyf began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516
Possibility of re-flashing stock firmware for Hanvon N516

Is there anyway to re-flashing the stock firmware for Hanvon N516?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Well, it should be possible. Given that you've got a full backup of the stock firmware.
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
wonghyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Well, it should be possible. Given that you've got a full backup of the stock firmware.
Actually my friend has another Hanvon N516, which still have the stock firmware. I can get his Hanvon to do a stock firmware backup if that's necessary. So is there any documentation on this forum about how to backup and restore firmware. thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Cool! That usbboot tool can dump flash memory, afaik.
There is no documentation, nobody has tried this before. You could join our #openinkpot irc channel and we will try to guide you.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
wonghyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Cool! That usbboot tool can dump flash memory, afaik.
There is no documentation, nobody has tried this before. You could join our #openinkpot irc channel and we will try to guide you.
thanks.
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
mmq
mmq began at the beginning.

Hey, sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, but did anybody ever have any luck with this? I want to try OpenInkpot on my N516 but I'd also like to be able to go back, just in case.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Not yet, as far as I know.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Question But how? :-)

Hi, I've just acquired a 516, and I'm also interested in backing up the original firmware.

I downloaded OpenInkpot 0.2 (oi-hanvon-n516-install-0.2-flashimage.zip), and read the instructions for USBboot.

I'm getting the impression I need to find a different version of USBboot . There is a command called "nreadnand" which will dump the contents of flash... as a hexdump to the screen. Unlike the "nprog" command, it doesn't look like it will accept a filename.

Any suggestions welcome. Here's a transcript which should hopefully show what I'm talking about -

Code:
 Welcome!
 USB Boot Host Software!
 USB Boot Software current version: 1.3
 Handling user command.
 USBBoot :> help

Command support in current version:
 help          print this help;
 boot          boot device and make it in stage2;
 list          show current device number can connect;
 fconfig       set USB Boot config file;
 nquery        query NAND flash info;
 nread         read NAND flash data with checking bad block and ECC;
 nreadraw      read NAND flash data without checking bad block and ECC;
 nreadoob      read NAND flash oob without checking bad block and ECC;
 nerase        erase NAND flash;
 nprog         program NAND flash with data and ECC;
 nmark         mark a bad block in NAND flash;
 go            execute program in SDRAM;
 version       show current USB Boot software version;
 exit          quit from telnet session;
 readnand      read data from nand flash and store to SDRAM;
 load          load file data to SDRAM;
 USBBoot :> version

USB Boot Software current version: 1.3

USBBoot :> list

Device number can connect :1

USBBoot :> boot 0

Booting No.0 device......UnBooted.....Boot success!
 Initing No.0 device......Init Configration success!

USBBoot :> fconfig USBboot.cfg 0

Configing No.0 device....
 Init Configration success!

USBBoot :> nquery 0 0

Querying No.0 device No.0 flash......
 Nand flash Vendor ID :0xdc
 Nand flash Chip ID   :0xad
 Operation status: Success!
 USBBoot :> nread

Usage: nread (1) (2) (3) (4)
 1:start page number
 2:length in byte
 3:device index number
 4:flash index number
 USBBoot :> nread 0 16 0 0

Reading from No.0 device No.0 flash....
 0x00000000 :ff ff ff ff 01 b0 08 3c 64 03 08 35 00 10 09 3c
 Operation end position : 1
 USBBoot :> readnand

Usage:
 readnand (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
 1:start SDRAM address
 2:start page number
 3:page length
 4:device index number
 5:flash index number
 USBBoot :>
Old 12-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/N5...iginalFirmware
Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I tried the "new azbooka usbboot" (version 1.4b), but that didn't have such a command either. So I hacked up a driver and a parser for the USBboot hex dumps. (Scripting languages rock). I intend to document the process on the OpenInkpot wiki.

It took upwards of 2 hours to dump the root filesystem, but it will be worth it for my peace of mind. I don't want to install a slightly different version of the vendor firmware, and then find that it breaks because they changed the hardware or something.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wow. FW dumper is really useful tool. Please-please!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Thanks! I tried the "new azbooka usbboot" (version 1.4b), but that didn't have such a command either. So I hacked up a driver and a parser for the USBboot hex dumps. (Scripting languages rock). I intend to document the process on the OpenInkpot wiki.

It took upwards of 2 hours to dump the root filesystem, but it will be worth it for my peace of mind. I don't want to install a slightly different version of the vendor firmware, and then find that it breaks because they changed the hardware or something.
Cool
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
sourcejedi
Groupie

Unfortunately I can't give you a tested how-to. I extracted plausible uImage and rootfs binaries (including interleaved OOB data), but flashing them caused my device to stop booting. Interestingly the rootfs on my device seemed to start at page 8512 (not 6144 as suggested by the OI wiki).

Then I tried the firmware upgrade from rapidshare, following the instructions on the wiki. Same result - I think the LED turns on when booted, but the screen remains blank.

I was able to flash OI 0.2, so fortunately I can still use my device :-). (I did have to fiddle a little; see my post on the -user mailing list).

If you're still interested in my scripts, just let me know where I should send them.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
xev7
xev7 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon 516
using german 2.7.2.0 as suggested it works

first i installed this German firmware (set it for English)...which is very good...in fact i prefer it to oi...then i flashed oi...damn near bricked my n516...or thought i did...went back to this without a problem...then flashed oi again....made it work this time, played with for a bit... then when back to 2.7.2.0 ...no problem at all...

you are now safe to flash between the firmwares...well at least 2.7.2.0

Last edited by xev7; 01-04-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #15
sourcejedi
Groupie

Ok, I tried the German one, that didn't work for me either :-).