Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Sighted at Sam's

I stopped in the local Sam's Club today on my way home to pickup some beef for dinner this week. And on my way to the back of the store, were the butcher area is I had to pass through "Electronic Heaven". Much to my surprise I saw a Sony Reader (PRS 505) there. I stopped and asked the "associate" what it was, he didn't have a clue.

In any event there it was at $279. What makes this all the more remarkable is that here in NW Arkansas there is not another store with one on display. My question has to be is this a sign of better distribution. Or is Sony dumping the Reader?
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hopefully it's a measure of its growing popularity.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
And also a sign of Sam's buyers feeling that with a lower price than Border's they may be able to move the 505 fairly fast.

If Sony were abandoning the Reader, the price would be much lower and the price drop would be everywhere, just to blow out the remaining units.

Of course, it could be an indication that there is a new model in the pipeline, but with no other corroborating evidence I wouldn't bet on it.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy-Dawg View Post
My question has to be is this a sign of better distribution. Or is Sony dumping the Reader?
I had to laugh! Why is that we Sony Reader owners are such pessimists? Every time there's a hint that something is happening we fear that the sky is falling. I really think it's just a sign of better distribution. I hope so, anyway.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I had to laugh! Why is that we Sony Reader owners are such pessimists? Every time there's a hint that something is happening we fear that the sky is falling. I really think it's just a sign of better distribution. I hope so, anyway.
Could it be - "Past experience with Sony?"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah, anytime that you buy a new gadget that is pretty much the only model of its type that works with a single source, there's that risk. There's the emotional / irrational fear (?) that you won't be able to replace a device that you've become used to (or really liked using).

On the upside, the Sony reader gets a lot of things right (the ability to use non-DRM content, SD cards, etc.). So I'm hoping that it is able to compete well against the Kindle while still making a profit.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I would add that Sony produced an upgraded model of the Reader last fall while continuing to support the previous model, upgraded their site software, released an upgrade of the firmware, is planning to soon release another upgrade with better PDF support, has either promised or at least strongly suggested future support for Adobe DE, has partnered with Borders who now also show and sell the Reader in their stores, has consistently increased the number of titles that they sell by about 10% per month for at least the past six months, and has lowered the prices of those titles to more or less match Amazon. I really don't see anything there that would hint at a company who is about to dump us in the gutter. At least I hope not.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Could it be - "Past experience with Sony?"
It certainly is in my case.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I really don't see anything there that would hint at a company who is about to dump us in the gutter. At least I hope not.
That's what us Clie owners said, right up until the end. Plenty of new models produced and rumors of new ones to come...then bye-bye.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
As a former clie owner I agree 100%, but I stopped with the n760c.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which is one reason that I have yet to shop at the Sony (or Amazon or any other DRM-laden) ebook store. I have no desire to end up with a library of files that can only be read on a device that has no possible replacement.

(Cheers for Baen's zero-DRM store.)

Even if Sony stops making the book readers, my DRM-less library will still be useful. I'll just have to convert stuff over to the format used by whatever reader I settle on next.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote