Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #61
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
A warning on what? How not to do things? Many many many people around here are able to buy used products without a problem.

The owner isn't needed to deregister it. That is the long and the short of it. The same exact process is used to deregister the device, whether done by the former owner or by the new owner.

Part of the reason why people are taking umbrage with you is due to your attitude on the matter. You seem overly angry over something that shouldn't be a big deal. A few people tried assuming it was a misunderstanding, or miscommunication, to give you the benefit of the doubt. Now, you're unleashing more vitriol towards those same people. You claim that we don't know "about people", but the same could be said for you. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

As far as the comment about you being a non-english native, that is probably due to your writing style. You have a fair amount of typos, randomly capitalized words, and misspelled words. If you were English second language, that would further help the argument that this all started with a misunderstanding. Also, while your profile does state that you're currently in West Virginia, that does not mean you were born or raised there. My soon to be father-in-law lives here in the US, but was not born or raised here. That's one of the lovely things about our nation, you don't have to be born here to be an American.
Born here! Computers not my thing nor typing nor spelling! So IG the spelling dont get me the typing does!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #62
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Posts that are riddled with errors and exclamation points are difficult to read, and promote miscommunication. I think if a poster takes some time to make sure a post is clearly/legibly written, they are more likely to receive clear and reasonable responses.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #63
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Born here! Computers not my thing nor typing nor spelling! So IG the spelling dont get me the typing does!
I try to avoid making a fuss over things like spelling and grammar. It's not everyone's strength, particularly if the writer doesn't hang around computers as much as some of us do. (For example, I have much more trouble with written communications than typed communications because writing is awkward when your used to typing and I suppose the opposite is true too.) People's country of origin and socioeconomic class tends to make a difference too, and I don't want to be put off by a person just because they were raised in a different part of the world or within a different cultural context.

Yet I do believe that the tone of the message does make a difference. If I look at some of my posts here, I'm proud of them. In other cases, I look at them and wonder what I was thinking. Oddly enough, my assessment of the quality of the message usually corresponds to how well they are received via follow up comments or karma. Yeap, I take those things seriously because I want to be a better writer. That's particularly true when I'm trying to make a point. (I'll never be a novelist, but I love a good debate!)

So please do be careful what you say, especially on public forums because they are public. Not only will the way you say something reflect upon your reputation, but it will determine the type of response that you receive. If you can't say something clearly, perhaps it is best left until you are in a better state of mind. Going back to your "buy new, not used" message, maybe you should have waited for things to cool off in your mind for a week or two. Maybe then you would have been able to phrase things in a way that people would better appreciate.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Posts that are riddled with errors and exclamation points are difficult to read, and promote miscommunication. I think if a poster takes some time to make sure a post is clearly/legibly written, they are more likely to receive clear and reasonable responses.
One thing I have learn is that this is very true here.

I'm dyslexic which basically means I sometimes see words\letters differently or out of sequence or I may tell my brain to type one thing and it types another. This is not good specially with punctuation. I suck at spelling but I have a good check as your type checker that helps make my gibberish legible. I also type words as they sound not how they are spelled. It can get really bad if I'm stressed, excited or just having one of those days where I feel like my brain has taken a vacation.

I have been called out many times on my grammar here. Some people are nice to PM me and then some think they are the grammar police. I try to take it all in stride and learn from it.

My point is even with this disability I try to read and reread my posts to fix typos, grammatical errors and even the tone of my writing. It's something I have learned in the many years I have been communicating on line.

If you just take the time to go over your post and write it like you would talk to someone it will be easier to get the correct tone down and not cause misunderstandings.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One thing I have learn is that this is very true here.

I'm dyslexic which basically means I sometimes see words\letters differently or out of sequence or I may tell my brain to type one thing and it types another. This is not good specially with punctuation. I suck at spelling but I have a good check as your type checker that helps make my gibberish legible. I also type words as they sound not how they are spelled. It can get really bad if I'm stressed, excited or just having one of those days where I feel like my brain has taken a vacation.
I have been told that green text sometimes helps those with dyslexia be able to read without much difficulty. Give it a try. It might work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have been told that green text sometimes helps those with dyslexia be able to read without much difficulty. Give it a try. It might work.
I've heard about green, blue or grey background or tint colors helping but never changing the text color.

What works for me is grey or certain types of blue background with black text. This is why I love eInk. I read almost normal and comprehend at the same time. I struggle more with real books due to background variations. I can't read from textbooks much at all without struggling because of the blinding white backgrounds.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #67
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I would have posted this different IF I was looking for advice! But I wrote it as a Warning to others thinking about Buy Used eReaders! TRUST to me is 75% of a sale I thought I could Trust the person I got it from. After 3 weeks of trying to get thru to SONY Well there goes that Trust! Internet friends fron another forum got me the direction to the Hard Rest But I still couldnt do it & of course we didnt know what I was doing wrong since We were not inperson! UGH SOOO after 3 weeks of a Brick I felt a warning was wise for others! Reader works BUT IF the seller Refuses to remove their information from their account & You Cant do a Hard rest then your screwed!
3 weeks 6 CALLS to Sony 10 emails to the person I purchsed it from! 3 internet friends Trying to help! I just didnt Want Anyone else being taken advatage of!!! THEN the PTB on here Moved my post! And Now you folks seem to think Tearing my typing Spellind Whatever apart.... IF as I said READ the beginning You should have Seen this was Move Thus Changing the Warning into a Decussion! So Have Fun Cause I guessing you have nothing better to do!
BTW I Dont want to lean Typing & Spelling here IF I want ed that I go back to School .... O That wont work cause Rehab says since it wont get me a job thye wont teack me typing with my 1 good hand! So I still 1 finger peck....

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-05-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #68
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My oldest step daughter suffers from Irlens Syndrome. It is like dyslexia, in a way. However depending on the person, the recommended paper colour will be different. Sarah had pink tinted glasses and a green paper requirement.

As she got older as an adult this issue became less for her and she can read a normal book, albeit slowly without those tinted glasses.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would have posted this different IF I was looking for advice! But I wrote it as a Warning to others thinking about Buy Used eReaders! TRUST to me is 75% of a sale I thought I could Trust the person I got it from. After 3 weeks of trying to get thru to SONY Well there goes that Trust! Internet friends fron another forum got me the direction to the Hard Rest But I still couldnt do it & of course we didnt know what I was doing wrong since We were not inperson! UGH SOOO after 3 weeks of a Brick I felt a warning was wise for others! Reader works BUT IF the seller Refuses to remove their information from their account & You Cant do a Hard rest then your screwed!
3 weeks 6 CALLS to Sony 10 emails to the person I purchsed it from! 3 internet friends Trying to help! I just didnt Want Anyone else being taken advatage of!!! THEN the PTB on here Moved my post! And Now you folks seem to think Tearing my typing Spellind Whatever apart.... IF as I said READ the beginning You should have Seen this was Move Thus Changing the Warning into a Decussion! So Have Fun Cause I guessing you have nothing better to do!
BTW I Dont want to lean Typing & Spelling here IF I want ed that I go back to School .... O That wont work cause Rehab says since it wont get me a job thye wont teack me typing with my 1 good hand! So I still 1 finger peck....
Again, I think the largest part is attitude, or at least perceived attitude. I can understand being frustrated. If you're not familiar with how to reset, not aware it is an option, or it is difficult due to some limitation, that can definitely be cause for frustration. I have damage to my right arm, and for a year I had no feeling or use of my arm from below the elbow. It seems that often reset operations are designed to be two handed, so it isn't accidentally done. Yeah, when your right hand is totally dead at your side, that isn't happening. Still, when prompted with a situation like that, where you didn't know how to reset at first, and then had an issue physically doing it, that's where groups like this come in. Any (legal) questions or discussion related to ebooks or ebook readers are allowed and welcomed here.

In regards to the moving the post, well, the flea market section is strictly for posting things to sell, or buying things. The mods will move things if it is off topic. When things get disorganized in a forum, things can go to hell in a hurry.

As far as the spelling and typo issue, we (the MobileRead users) are not asking you to be perfect. We will try to be patient to better understand what you mean to get across. For the most part you write perfectly legible English, it just has a few quirks to it. If there is a time where there is a misunderstanding, please also show patience with us. We aren't wanting to fight, and it is in everyone's best interest to that all parties are able to understand what each of them are trying to get across.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #70
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If you don't want to go through the hassle of doing a factory reset, that's fine. Most of us understand that some people don't know about factory resets, and some devices have a factory reset process that is frustrating to the most technically literate and patient among us.

The thing is, your original post would have been better received if it read: "I just bought a used Sony T1 and the seller won't remove it from her account. What can I do?" (Posting it to the Sony subforum would help too!) Even your original complaint may have been more justifiable if you specified the brand and model of ereader.

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension, nor with "geeks" not understanding people. Most of us can read perfectly well and understand people perfectly well. It's just that the content and tone of the message often determines the response to the message.
This. I was going to post earlier about how to fix the problem but the tone of the OP was a little off putting.

I am happy for her that she got it fixed though. I love my ereaders and gadgets and it's upsetting when things go wrong.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #71
POPEYEPOP
POPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watchPOPEYEPOP is clearly one to watch

Device: kindle keyboard
Question popeyepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
Good Job Spindle Girl.

I still think 99% of the time buying used is o.k. I have bought 2 used Kindles from e-bay and de-registering them is a slice of pie. One had been done already, the other I did from the unit, AND was able to keep the books the previous owner had purchased. Suppose I should mention, I bought a K4 & received a K3-keyboard instead ...but I was more than happy about that... It's become my #1 e-reader.

So sorry this happened to you, dear Katie. I'd say next time, perhaps buy thru e-bay where at least you have some sort of back-up if anything goes wrong. Buyer protection & all that. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the flea market on MR...
Hi,This derigistering and registering has got me worried,I just bought a s/h, K-Keyboard from ebay and the seller left 267 titles on the device.
i checked cost of the first 20 and it came to 95 quid,so what do I do ? leave of putting it in my name till I have read all the titles that interest me or take a chance that I may lose the lot.I have an amazon uk account.cheers
POPEYEPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPEYEPOP View Post
Hi,This derigistering and registering has got me worried,I just bought a s/h, K-Keyboard from ebay and the seller left 267 titles on the device.
i checked cost of the first 20 and it came to 95 quid,so what do I do ? leave of putting it in my name till I have read all the titles that interest me or take a chance that I may lose the lot.I have an amazon uk account.cheers
The seller was breaking copyright law by leaving the titles on the device (and you are breaking copyright law by reading them). You should do a factory reset of the Kindle and delete them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #73
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I'd always thought de-registering & re-registering the device cleared the previously purchased books, but it doesn't seem so.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #74
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The seller was breaking copyright law by leaving the titles on the device (and you are breaking copyright law by reading them). You should do a factory reset of the Kindle and delete them.
Well, that would depend on where he/she is and the laws of that country, and the status of the individual works stored on the device.

Since he/she doesn't have a country listed, you're a bit out of bounds playing 'Internet Lawyer', Harry.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #75
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
I'd always thought de-registering & re-registering the device cleared the previously purchased books, but it doesn't seem so.
Restoring to factory defaults will remove all content, but de-registering does not.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote