Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #91
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy folks,

This is admirable work. I'm also tracking the commits in your GitHub project. However, please be aware that poking around with this functionality could break or change in a future upgrade of the Kobo Touch firmware.

This feature has been explicitly hidden from the default user interface so there will be no guarantees of backward compatibility for those of you that enable it with this plugin... although we'll try our best.
Hi

I'm aware that there is no guarantee that the features will work with a newer firmware version. There is already a firmware version check in the plugin. In case of a newer fw version the plugin gets disabled automatically.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #92
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy folks,

This is admirable work. I'm also tracking the commits in your GitHub project. However, please be aware that poking around with this functionality could break or change in a future upgrade of the Kobo Touch firmware.

This feature has been explicitly hidden from the default user interface so there will be no guarantees of backward compatibility for those of you that enable it with this plugin... although we'll try our best.
Well, hopefully it will be made official in a future firmware update so everyone can use it, not only the "brave".

Hard to manage hundreds of books without shelves...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #93
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Hi Mr. T, I just tried the shelves and I truly hope this will be implemented without showing books from the shop in the list of books to add to the shelve!!!
This makes creating new shelves really unattractive, as it takes so much more time to zap through the library and add books to the shelve!! It takes time enough to find the books I want to add, now having to sort out the books I have from the ones you fill in to add sth. to the shelve creates more confusion than convenience! There better could be a special shelve that let's me specifically add interesting books from the shop to a kind of watchlist, so I can go in there to pick a new book from my own selection, but to sort my library should be a seperate task!
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #94
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus9999 View Post
What do you mean by settings? If you mean the Tweaks entry than this is possible. I'll never use the tweaks dialog. I'll adjust all settings in the koboplugins.ini. I'll check if I can reproduce the error.

I'll add a version number to the next releases.
I see the same behaviour: if I try to access the tweaks dialogue, the KT freezes and restarts upon any touch. However, if I avoid the dialogue, everything I care about seems to work.

Love the bookshelves!

Thanks.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #95
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I see the same behaviour: if I try to access the tweaks dialogue, the KT freezes and restarts upon any touch. However, if I avoid the dialogue, everything I care about seems to work.

Love the bookshelves!

Thanks.
That was what I meant and what made me wonder. At least now I know I'm not too stupid to handle a plugin (and can avoid "Tweaks" until this gets resolved).

Love the bookshelves, too. And of course, thanks.
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #96
Jaden
Evangelist

I've encountered several other problems.

1. When following a hyperlink in a book, the software "back" button in the menu doesn't work anymore. I've tried several ebooks to make sure it was not the book itself.

2. When deleting a book (that has been added to a shelf) the Kobo doesn't open any menu or book anymore. When pressing home, the Kobo restarts.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #97
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
What do you mean by settings? If you mean the Tweaks entry than this is possible. I'll never use the tweaks dialog. I'll adjust all settings in the koboplugins.ini. I'll check if I can reproduce the error.

I'll add a version number to the next releases.

Yes, it was the tweaks dialog as others have now reported.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #98
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Hi

I'm aware that there is no guarantee that the features will work with a newer firmware version. There is already a firmware version check in the plugin. In case of a newer fw version the plugin gets disabled automatically.
As George mentioned it's great to see people dabbling with the code.
To clarify, the issue is, or rather will be, with data model (backwards compatibility). There is no guarantee that the final released version will save/interact with the model the same way the unreleased version does today.

If I may, I would suggest a note or something somewhere that clarifies to the user that there is a small chance that the tweak(s) might interfere with future upgrades, etc.

Last edited by MDK; 02-01-2012 at 07:23 PM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #99
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hi,

I'll give a try because I'm very interested in shelves (and I'll risk to future incompatibilities, without collections KT is only a toy reader, not useful for real use, for me at least).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #100
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
If I may, I would suggest a note or something somewhere that clarifies to the user that there is a small chance that the tweak(s) might interfere with future upgrades, etc.
I've added a warning to the latest download post.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #101
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
Hi Mr. T, I just tried the shelves and I truly hope this will be implemented without showing books from the shop in the list of books to add to the shelve!!!
This makes creating new shelves really unattractive, as it takes so much more time to zap through the library and add books to the shelve!! It takes time enough to find the books I want to add, now having to sort out the books I have from the ones you fill in to add sth. to the shelve creates more confusion than convenience! There better could be a special shelve that let's me specifically add interesting books from the shop to a kind of watchlist, so I can go in there to pick a new book from my own selection, but to sort my library should be a seperate task!
I tried the plugin too and quickly played with shelves. Apart from what you mention it was also immediately obvious that as of now only Kobo ePubs can be added to shelves after I created a shelf and added a dozen books to it only to find 4 sticking to it. I do not think the feature is worth so much if it does not allow to handle sideloaded books (and that may be one good reason why it is still hidden).

I also noticed that the shelf options would only show in the Library menu after entering it from Home. Going back to the Library after manipulating through the shelf code, the options would be gone until going back home and starting over again.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #102
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
I tried the plugin too and quickly played with shelves. Apart from what you mention it was also immediately obvious that as of now only Kobo ePubs can be added to shelves after I created a shelf and added a dozen books to it only to find 4 sticking to it. I do not think the feature is worth so much if it does not allow to handle sideloaded books (and that may be one good reason why it is still hidden).
That's odd - I've only added sideloaded ePub (newsfeeds) to the shelves and they stick.

Someone else mentioned he can't add PDFs. Have you tried that?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #103
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I put 3 epubs I made with dotEPUB (Chrome Extension) from Webpages and added them to a shelve "Websave"; so far they are still in there

What I find a little confusing is differentiating "Toggle WiFi" and "WiFi On/Off" now, the first refers to toggling the Airplane mode, the label (for shortness) was my suggestion. What it does is inhibit the Kobo to use Wifi automatically, though it asks if I want to establish a connection when trying to open the browser or alike. Airplanemode is a great mode for me as is for many reasons, since the Kobo only will use WiFi when I specifically ask for it, but let's me use it by confirmation and stays in AP-mode anyway.

WiFi On/Off on the other hand let's me control the connection directly, whether I am in AP-mode or not, ist does just what it says: starts WiFi or stops it no matter what mode I am in. Since there is no use for manually switching on WiFi if I don't want to sync or use the browser, and I get WiFi by starting sync or browser anyway, this switch really only makes sense in a setting, where WiFi-Timeout is not used and I want to stop the connection manually.

This could be optimized by maybe only showing the option to stop Wifi manually if it is running, and show nothing if it is not. Better yet this could be done by tapping the WiFi-symbol in the top statusbar when active, keeping it out of the menu completely.

If that^ cannot be done and both entries have to stay in the menu, we should think of new labels to clearify the difference.

Maybe "Inhibit WiFi" for Airplane-Mode and "WiFi on/off" for the manual WiFi-switch...

In my usage scenario I will probably leave the timeout active and have only Airplane-mode in the menu, keeping AP-mode active all the time to go online only when needed. To be able to tap the topbar WiFi-Icon to cut connection at any time to my liking would be a nice extra...

Last edited by voom; 02-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #104
Zoxc
Zoxc began at the beginning.

Have anyone investigated the possibility of adding readers for custom formats using the plugin interface?

It would also be nice if the people playing with the code could join #kobodev on freenode.
Zoxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #105
Akto
Akto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo touch
Congratulation for working on such a project !

Is there any chance that you will add an option to hide the page numbering at the bottom of the screen ? This is very annoying while reading pdf documentation, the last lines being hidden.
Akto is offline   Reply With Quote