Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #31
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Thing that bugs me about these samples (beyond that they seem to be "Romance" novels) is that they don't appear with a "sample" band on the nook. It is quite apparent they are samples when logging in to the website.

However, I've been pleased to see there are often books in which I am interested for $5 or less, so often buy them when I see them available. Then these samples show up in the "recent" list as if they are something I purchased but didn't remember.

Ticks me off. I guess I'll just stop buying anything until it stops, since I have hundreds of sideloaded books awaiting my attention. Plus, I have found some of the same purchased titles at other sources I can sideload, anyway.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-21-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: there's always something I didn't express clearly
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I have to say I'm also super annoyed by these samples. For the longest time I didn't turn on wifi on my Nook Touch. I kept checking my online account to see if anything appeared and wifi has been of a lot over the last few months on my Nook 1 and Nook Color.

Last week I checked my online account, nothing there, then I turned on the wifi on my Touch. All of a sudden the sample books end up on both my Touch and my online account.

So...I guess the morale of this story is that I can never turn my wifi on again (on the Touch). *sigh* I always side load my books anyway so that won't be a problem...but I shouldn't be forced to side load all of my purchased books.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #33
Mycopsycho
Mycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch Reader
I only recently noticed all the sample books on my Nook STR and initially couldn't figure out how they all got there since I hadn't ordered them. Reading this thread has helped me to better understand B&N's "push" policy. I have been considering getting a Nook Color but this would be enough to sway me to spend some more cash and get a real tablet and forget B&N.
Mycopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Yeah, I left my Nook 2 on yesterday in the hopes that I'd get the latest firmware, since there's no "update now" button that I can find.

I didn't...but I got yet MORE sample books.

It's not like they take up much space on the device, and B&N could have them auto delete if you put your own stuff on, but they need to be in some other section. I don't even mind if they're preloaded on, and some are viewable from the main page...I just don't want them mixed in with MY books...I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be annoyed with this, and it doesn't seem like it's asking much that they just be separated out a bit if they're going to do it.

EDIT: To their credit, they did at least give me a Star Trek book this time that I might actually want to read at some point (but not right now) after my first purchase was of "Indistinguishable from Magic", so that's sort of cool (versus the romance books I got before :lol:

Last edited by Wolf3; 09-21-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #35
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf3 View Post
Yeah, I left my Nook 2 on yesterday in the hopes that I'd get the latest firmware, since there's no "update now" button that I can find.
Off-topic, but you can force an update by downloading the image (ZIP) file from B&N's website and side-loading to your device. You can get it here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks! I've got it bookmarked and may just give up and do that. The Kindle seemed to be really bad about actually updating too (and also didn't have an "update now" button).
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #37
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
I actually noticed my first "free samples" yesterday on my iPad. I generally don't visit the home page on my nook st until I need to switch books.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if they took into consideration my buying and reading habits before sending me a sample; but to send a romance novel to someone who has exclusively purchased fantasy & historical fiction titles doesn't seem to make sense.
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Sending me a free book once in awhile would be cool, samples are just an annoyance. I have my wireless turned off they can't send me anything
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #39
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I would love to get samples from Amazon. Their recommendations are on point.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
Wolf3
Connoisseur

I have to say Amazon's recommendations are terrible for me. Netflix (errr....Qwikster?) is the only company that's ever actually done recommendations for me that are more right than wrong.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #41
Becky Morgan
Becky Morgan began at the beginning.

My Nook downloaded huge samples the first day and ate 12% of our monthly bandwidth within less than 24 hours, so the wi-fi got locked off and will stay that way unless I take it to McDonald's. B&N assumes unlimited fast cable broadband and the Nook won't really work with satellite (and won't use the 3G if it finds the wi-fi.) I got the updates at a hitel on vacation so the screen wouldn't do that slow sickly wobble from page to page--better, but still slow -- and it downloaded some more blood and gore samples and I don't know what else. Forgot to shut off the wi-fi and it ate another huge chunk of bandwidth by the time I caught it a few hours later. Cutting off its wi-fi would take changing the passcode for everything else, which is a lot of work for something that shouldn't be happening.
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #42
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
My Nook downloaded huge samples the first day and ate 12% of our monthly bandwidth within less than 24 hours, so the wi-fi got locked off and will stay that way unless I take it to McDonald's. B&N assumes unlimited fast cable broadband and the Nook won't really work with satellite (and won't use the 3G if it finds the wi-fi.) I got the updates at a hitel on vacation so the screen wouldn't do that slow sickly wobble from page to page--better, but still slow -- and it downloaded some more blood and gore samples and I don't know what else. Forgot to shut off the wi-fi and it ate another huge chunk of bandwidth by the time I caught it a few hours later. Cutting off its wi-fi would take changing the passcode for everything else, which is a lot of work for something that shouldn't be happening.
I keep my wifi off all the time (except for once the other day...when it then downloaded the samples). Technically you never need to turn on the wifi unless you don't have a computer. You can side load all books--even those you buy from B&N, and you can even side load the software updates.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" if you root the device?
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #44
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I had to turn on the wifi for a NC I was setting up for my sister today. It started loading the samples and I quickly shut it down.

On mine, I just make sure it's set to a webpage other than B&N when I turn on the wifi and it doesn't load the samples.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #45
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" if you root the device?
Probably not. The samples are added to your BN account, not your device directly, so the device you're using is irrelevant. When it syncs your device with the BN mothership, it downloads the samples in your account. This is true whether you're using a nook device or just the nook app on another platform.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote