Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Excessive Battery Use?

I charged up my new Touch to 100% this afternoon, after reading for 2 hours it was at 95% then in standby for 2 1/2 hours now it's at 92%. WiFi is off and has the new 1.1 firmware was installed earlier in the day. This seems like it's using a lot of power.

I've only had it for two days, should I bring it back?

Thanks
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
My first one lost 1 percent per hour while it was sleeping and I did exchange it.
I was down in the 70s in less than 24 hours.

My replacement is at 72 percent after 2 weeks. Much more in line with what I expected.

I'd take it in to a B&N if your trend continues and you lose more battery overnight.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Batteries may need a few cycles before they are calibrated; 2 days is not enough. I would say give it some more time, at least 2 cycles.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have had this problem with 2 Touches in a row. I reported my original problem here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138992

As you can see towards the end of that thread, I returned the first one that was having problems and was lucky when B&N sent me a new one in return (not refurbished), which they didn't have to do.

Well, as I recently mentioned in another thread, this 2nd Touch is doing exactly the same thing, and exactly what you report. The thread mentioned above tells about my attempts to get around the problem, which basically boiled down to:

1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) charge it again up to 100% with the charger ("top it off")

This usually fixed the drain problem.

With the replacement Nook, I have refined this technique to a similar idea, but using the computer instead:

1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) connect it to your computer via USB cable and let it charge again up to 100% (i.e. "top it off")

This has ALWAYS fixed the drain problem for me. After doing this, it only loses about 2 or 3% per day (sleeping or using, no WiFi).

If I were you, I'd first use it normally and recharge it at least several times, as others have suggested, and hope that it starts behaving normally without bothering with what I am doing. If it continues to drain quickly, then I think I would return it and hope that the replacement works well right away.

The problem comes in the case I had with the first Touch - it works OK at first and you use it for say a month and THEN it starts draining the battery quickly. In such a case, it is too old to get a replacement, and you are stuck either getting a refurb or trying techniques like I suggest above.

In my case, I decided to stick with the 2nd Touch, even though it has this problem, because I can get around the problem (as I've described), and I want to USE the damn thing instead of shipping them back and forth to B&N over and over.

I continue to hope that my 2nd Touch will eventually stop acting this way and drain normally without this "topping it off" technique.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RAH; 12-18-2011 at 07:37 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I have had this problem with 2 Touches in a row. I reported my original problem here:

1) charging it to 100%
3) charge it again up to 100% with the charger ("top it off")

This usually fixed the drain problem.

With the replacement Nook, I have refined this technique to a similar idea, but using the computer instead:

1) charging it to 100%
3) connect it to your computer via USB cable and let it charge again up to 100% (i.e. "top it off")

This has ALWAYS fixed the drain problem for me. After doing this, it only loses about 2 or 3% per day (sleeping or using, no WiFi).
Thanks for the detailed reply RAH,
1) after charging to 100% can you use it to read? Also is it ok to read on it while it charges, in the manual it says that it is alright,but just wondering your experience with it.

or just 2) Let it sleep?

Is the AC charge OK to use?

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
My first one lost 1 percent per hour while it was sleeping and I did exchange it.

My replacement is at 72 percent after 2 weeks. Much more in line with what I expected.

I'd take it in to a B&N if your trend continues and you lose more battery overnight.
It lost another 9% in sleep overnight. It lost around 30% in 12 hours with 4 hours reading time. I'm going to return it this morning and try to follow RAH's suggestions. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post

Thanks I'm going to return it and hope the new works better.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Batteries may need a few cycles before they are calibrated; 2 days is not enough. I would say give it some more time, at least 2 cycles.
I'd wait but it's a gift and with Christmas less then a week away, I don't want to wait until Christmas eve to return it if it needs to be returned. If I return it this morning I'll have a week after Christmas to bring back if needed.

I wouldn't have bought it this close to Christmas but they sent me a coupon for $20 off that expires before Christmas, so it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn57 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply RAH,
1) after charging to 100% can you use it to read? Also is it ok to read on it while it charges, in the manual it says that it is alright,but just wondering your experience with it.

or just 2) Let it sleep?

Is the AC charge OK to use?

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.
I see from your later posts that you are going to be exchanging it, hoping to get a good one. I agree, as I mentioned in my post. But to answer your questions:

It is OK to read it while it charges. I have done it plenty of times and it is fine.

As far as whether to "top it off" with the charger or connected to the computer (to try to get it to behave), it seemed to me, after many months of playing with this problem, that connecting it to the computer was more reliable. Sometimes, even after topping it off with the charger, it would drain again quickly. However, I have never had it continue to drain quickly after topping it off with the computer connection. But this could be because I mainly started trying this technique with the 2nd Touch, and it may behave differently than the 1st, where I was always using the charger to top it off.

Anyway, maybe you'll be lucky and get a good one on your exchange. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
from http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...sy/m-p/1193352

08-26-2011 09:50 AM
For those of you having battery issues...Try charging your Nook in sleep mode (for 3-4 hours). After charging, completely shut down the nook, then power it back up. This is the only thing that's worked for me. I initially returned my first Ne2 because the battery died after 2-3 days (even sitting idle). BN replaced it and on the initial charge of the replacement I got well over 4 weeks of use out of one charge. However, when I recharged it for the first time, I barely got 4 days out of it. Through trial and error I discovered if I powered the unit down after charging I could maintain a significantly extended battery life. A tech friend of mine thinks it's a software issue. If that's the case a software update would be nice. Best of luck to those of you having battery issues. I feel your pain.
I did pick up another Touch and followed RAH's instructions, after it was charged to 100% a little less then 3 hours, I upgraded the firmware and topped it back to 100%, and switched it off then back on again as per the Official comment thread above.

The battery isn't much better

1 1/2 hours reading 99%
2 1/2 hours sleep 97%
2 1/2 hours reading 95%

I'll be interested to see how much I lose as it sleeps tonight. But now I'm just going to follow afv011 advice to go through a few cycles to see if it improves all the while following RAH's formula for charging, along with turning the unit off after it is fully charged to 100%

One last question, when should I recharge again does 70 % sound reasonable or should I let it go down further to 50-60%?

If that doesn't fix it I'll have to decide after Christmas if I should keep the Touch or maybe get a refund and try a Sony or Kobo reader. I hope it works because I really love this Touch except for the battery.

Thanks again for help.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The drop during reading time looks fine to me, but the 2% drop in sleep is excessive, shouldn't have shown any drop in 2 hours of sleep, if WiFi is off. There is no hard and fast rule to calibrate the battery, i would say use it normally and recharge as you see fit, while monitoring the charge over a few days. For reference, I read 1.5 to 2 hours daily and i get 4 weeks on a charge. WIFI is always off on mine though, and never turn the device off.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
RAH
Guru

Quote:
But now I'm just going to follow afv011 advice to go through a few cycles to see if it improves all the while following RAH's formula for charging, along with turning the unit off after it is fully charged to 100%
When your Touch is brand new, as yours is, I think you should follow afv011's advice and go thru a few cycles without using my top-it-off idea. You need to let it settle down some and see if it will work OK.

So just charge it to 100% and let it drain however it will. When it reaches say 30%, charge it again to 100% and let it drain. Do that a few times. Hopefully you won't have to resort to using my idea. In other words, don't assume it's going to be bad.

(The problem with this idea is that new Touches often work fine on their very first charge. Both of mine did not exhibit the rapid drain problem till I recharged them. I think I know why. When you first get it home from the store, the very first thing they have you do is to charge it. What this really amounts to is "topping it off" because they usually have about 75 or 80% charge when you first get it. So when you do that initial chargeing, you are really using my top-it-off scheme, which makes even a Nook with the drain problem function OK. Then, a month later, after it has reached 30% and you recharge it, only then do you find out you have a bad one. I don't know of any way around this.)

If it is bad after going thru several of these cycles - i.e. it drains like 10% over night - then you have a decision to make - use my scheme and continue to use it - it works! - or return it and get yet another, or get some other brand.

I like the Touch well enough that I am willing to put up with this small problem, because I have a work-around that seems very reliable.

Quote:
One last question, when should I recharge again does 70 % sound reasonable or should I let it go down further to 50-60%?
I think most people don't recharge till they get below about 30%. One of the reasons to get a Touch is because of the long battery life. If you charge it at 70% over and over, you aren't taking advantage of that feature!

One other thing - the battery charge indicator seems pretty inaccurate. For example, when I do my top-off operation back to 100%, sometimes it will then stay at 100% for 3 or 4 days (while in use and sleeping over night)! Then it will start dropping slowly, down a few percent per day. So, part of the problem is the charge indicator, I think. But you are at its mercy - when you get low enough, it will start to complain and you'll have to recharge it, even if you really have a lot of charge left. So you have to play these games with it. Kind of odd.

Last edited by RAH; 12-19-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
When your Touch is brand new, as yours is, I think you should follow afv011's advice and go thru a few cycles without using my top-it-off idea. You need to let it settle down some and see if it will work OK.

So just charge it to 100% and let it drain however it will. When it reaches say 30%, charge it again to 100% and let it drain. Do that a few times. Hopefully you won't have to resort to using my idea. In other words, don't assume it's going to be bad.
Thanks a lot for the great advice, the new one did settle down, it's been on for 25 hours and I read on it for 9 1/4 hours and it's at 90%. I'd be very happy if battery use stays at that level, keeping my "Fingers Crossed"

The reason I bought the touch over a tablet was the supposed long battery life and I just kind of freaked when the 1st one went down 30% in one day. Before I bought the nook I used to read mainly on my pc or laptop or if I wanted to go portable I'd read epubs on my Nintendo DS. The DS only got about 10 hours max battery time so I wanted more time like an e-ink device. I didn't want to go with a Kindle because I didn't like having to go through Amazon for everything and B&N sent me $20 off coupon for the NST, I just couldn't pass it up.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
RAH
Guru

Glad I could help. Sounds like you have a "good" one, so hopefully it will stay well-behaved.

When you have a "bad" one, you'll know it after using it awhile. On the one I have, when I recharge it from say less than 30% up to 100%, overnight it always drops from that 100% to about 88%. If I leave it alone at that point, it will continue to lose charge at about 25-30% each day, till it gets down to about 25% in 3 days, at which point I have to recharge it. It always does this if I just leave it alone. Very frustrating! The very minor extra step of topping it off with the computer after that first overnight drop to about 88% stops the drain in its tracks and it behaves normally from then on. Weird or what?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Glad I could help. Sounds like you have a "good" one, so hopefully it will stay well-behaved.

When you have a "bad" one, you'll know it after using it awhile. On the one I have, when I recharge it from say less than 30% up to 100%, overnight it always drops from that 100% to about 88%. If I leave it alone at that point, it will continue to lose charge at about 25-30% each day, till it gets down to about 25% in 3 days, at which point I have to recharge it. It always does this if I just leave it alone. Very frustrating! The very minor extra step of topping it off with the computer after that first overnight drop to about 88% stops the drain in its tracks and it behaves normally from then on. Weird or what?

Have you ever tried this that I found on the B&N comment thread

Quote:
Try charging your Nook in sleep mode (for 3-4 hours). After charging, completely shut down the nook, then power it back up. This is the only thing that's worked for me.
It might be worth trying that the next few times that you need to recharge, it's simple to do and only takes a minute or two to power up again.