Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
To buy pBook, to buy eBook, or not to buy...

That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler for the pocketbook to borrow a paperbook from the library or to brave the slings and arrows of penury to support favorite authors. Aye, that is the rub. Also, I could be bounded by eBooks and count myself queen of infinite space.

I would like to complete my Ursula K. LeGuin Earthsea collection. I have the first 3 books in dead tree book and actually replaced the falling-apart old paperbacks with better copies. While my mother read me those when I was a kid and I adore them (I have read them several times on my own), I never sought out the three sequels.

I feel like I need to do so but here is the thing. I can:

1) Get them from my well-appointed public library, which has them in pBook.
Pros - I can then share them with Mom without getting a lecture about overspending. Free!

Cons - I'm OCD a little and feel like, if I have some of a series, I need to have it all. In the same format. Ms. LeGuin doesn't get paid.

2) Buy them in pBook.
Pros - Can share with more people. And cheap. I can get used copies for 4-5 bucks (including shipping) from Amazon. OCD assuaged.

Cons - Possible overspending lecture, lack of physical space. I might have to get rid of a couple of other books pBooks. Ms. LeGuin doesn't get paid.

3) Buy them in eBook.
Pros - I love reading on my Kobo, which I find easier to handle than a pBook. No spending lecture. $ goes to Ms. LeGuin. Saves space.

Cons - More expensive than the used pBooks (6-8 bucks each). Can't share. Doesn't assuage the OCD because it is in a different format.

These aren't the only ones I'm have that issue with. I want to read Jasper Fforde's latest Thursday Next book and I have the previous ones of those in pBook so do I complete, do the library thing, or buy in eBook? Also, Lev Grossman's sequel to The Magicians is coming out this summer and I have that in pBook, so same deal. What would you guys do? I know I should probably get over the OCD and just get them from the library. But, but, my collection!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
As you've got the first three I'd be inclined to buy the pbooks to both complete the collection and to have them in the same format.

If you've only got one book in the series I'd be more inclined to borrow a pbook then decide based on that.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Perhaps it matters whether or not you plan to ever read them again. My dilemma is that there are so many books out there to be read that I don't return to previous books unless for reasons of reference. And to that end, many reference books are dated.

With eBooks, you can return to them if you need to. I think it depends on how strongly you feel you need to help support the author(s).
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
1) Get them from my well-appointed public library, which has them in pBook.
Pros - I can then share them with Mom without getting a lecture about overspending. Free!
Cons - I'm OCD a little and feel like, if I have some of a series, I need to have it all. In the same format. Ms. LeGuin doesn't get paid.
Can't help with the collection issue. However, it's worth keeping in mind that borrowing from the library isn't quite as not-paying as buying a used copy. Libraries keep track of what's borrowed, and what's borrowed often, and use that to decide what to buy next. And other libraries may be using the same data.

It's not the same as a sale, but it's a form of use that does, eventually & indirectly, benefit the author. Buying a copy used doesn't do that; the seller isn't tracking which books sold fastest with intent to buy more of them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Can't help with the collection issue. However, it's worth keeping in mind that borrowing from the library isn't quite as not-paying as buying a used copy. Libraries keep track of what's borrowed, and what's borrowed often, and use that to decide what to buy next. And other libraries may be using the same data.

It's not the same as a sale, but it's a form of use that does, eventually & indirectly, benefit the author. Buying a copy used doesn't do that; the seller isn't tracking which books sold fastest with intent to buy more of them.
That is a good point. Also, I guess my tax dollars probably helped to buy the books.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I face the same dilemma as I move from books to ebooks. However, I am learning to let go of having to have a book in the same format (was collecting hard cover versions of my favorites.)

For new books and authors, I use the library (physical books) and free ebooks from places like Smashwords, Baen, and Amazon to discover them. If I like them, I purchase more books in ebook format which supports the authors.

The problem is if I have a physical series like the Night Side and Web Mage series. If a new book comes out, do I buy another paperback so it fits the series, or just not worry about it and get the next one as an ebook. If I focus on all ebooks, do I eventually replace my favorites with ebook versions?

Interesting times we live in.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
You said you'd replaced some of these books already with better copies; that indicates to me that you care about these books in physical form. So I vote for paper.

Probably I would try to buy nice used copies AND the corresponding e-books, and have the best of both worlds.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I'd probably get them from the library to read them now, and (unless I decided I didn't like them) get whatever version later. Would buying used copies at a rate of one every couple of months possibly avoid the "overspending" lecture, or mean there'd be several rather than one?
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Depends on the ebook price. A good price get the ebook. High price buy used.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
borrow the next 3 from the library. I loved the original trilogy. Got them in hardcover. But I've read the next 2 and never liked them.

If you DO like the books enough to read them again, by them in ebook. If you like them enough to read once every 5-10 years, buy them in dtb form. That is my criteria for books now
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote