Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
bobzed57
bobzed57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Books not appearing on Kobo

I have a Kobo reader that I'm managing using Calbre, and some books don't seem to be synching to the kobo's library.

I click on a book and send it to the main memory of the Kobo. Calibre identifies the job, processes it and a tick appears in the library saying it's on the Kobo. I can also see the book in the windows explorer window, so I'm confident the file is on the device. I then eject the device and disconnect it from the computer and it processes new content, but the book doesn't appear in the Kobo's library.

I've managed to get 81 books on the Kobo and delete the preloaded ones using Calibre, but I don't understand why these few others don't appear. I have also tried transferring the books to the SD card without success.

I'm using Win 7, Calibre 0.7.20 and the Kobo's software revision is 1884.

Cheers
bobzed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I assume kobo is set to show added books. The very problem could
be on the book side. If they are named with extra characters, if meta
data are in the same manner...
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Are they perhaps PDF format? Then they show up under documents instead of books.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzed57 View Post
I have a Kobo reader that I'm managing using Calbre, and some books don't seem to be synching to the kobo's library.
Have you tried, first, actually using the Kobo software? And proceeding from there? It might help identify the issues. I've had no issues syncing with the desktop, Adobe ADE and Blackberry app. I have used Calibre to manage my library but not actually manage the Kobo. Plus, ALL my Kobo books are ePub, either DRM or not.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Yes, I have suddenly starting having this issue too. I used to put epubs from Instapaper.com onto my Kobo with Calibre all the time, no problems. But the last two times I have tried I get the same problems as the original poster.

Calibre says it is on the Kobo, but the Kobo does not list it.
I have checked the filesystem on the Kobo, and the folder for the epub is there with the epub within it.

What broke?

Firmware 1.4, Calibre 0.7.20.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
Yes, I have suddenly starting having this issue too. I used to put epubs from Instapaper.com onto my Kobo with Calibre all the time, no problems. But the last two times I have tried I get the same problems as the original poster.

Calibre says it is on the Kobo, but the Kobo does not list it.
I have checked the filesystem on the Kobo, and the folder for the epub is there with the epub within it.

What broke?

Firmware 1.4, Calibre 0.7.20.
Hi

I assume that you have set the kobo to show all the books (or My Books) not just the I'm Reading" list.

If not, press the Home button. Then press menu and navigate to Books.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

I assume that you have set the kobo to show all the books (or My Books) not just the I'm Reading" list.

If not, press the Home button. Then press menu and navigate to Books.

Tim
Yes, I have also tried searching through the full list of books. In the past an Instapaper epub could be found there under 'I'. Not now!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
rjcroy
Bibliophile

I just tried loading the same file with Calibre 0.7.4 and it appears on the Kobo, no problem. So it looks like this is a regression bug with Calibre 0.7.20.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
bobzed57
bobzed57 began at the beginning.

All good now. It seems I had some conversion and metadata errors. A bit of tidying up and everything was good. Now to read them all
bobzed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzed57 View Post

I click on a book and send it to the main memory of the Kobo. Calibre identifies the job, processes it and a tick appears in the library saying it's on the Kobo. I can also see the book in the windows explorer window, so I'm confident the file is on the device. I then eject the device and disconnect it from the computer and it processes new content, but the book doesn't appear in the Kobo's library.

I've managed to get 81 books on the Kobo and delete the preloaded ones using Calibre, but I don't understand why these few others don't appear. I have also tried transferring the books to the SD card without success.

I'm using Win 7, Calibre 0.7.20 and the Kobo's software revision is 1884.

Cheers
Hi

I had forgotten that I have seen similar behavior in the past. I had a file that was on the kobo but for one reason or another was not processed by the kobo.

Calibre does not do much when it places an epub on the kobo. It simply copies the file there and updates the metadata.calibre file. The kobo sees the file after disconnecting and processes the content and places information about it in the sqlite database.

I would check the date of the file on the device and the time that you have set on the kobo (I am really not sure how the kobo finds new content). I believe I got the file to process by updating the access time on the file with the touch command in Linux but I forget exactly what I did.

Tim
Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
I just tried loading the same file with Calibre 0.7.4 and it appears on the Kobo, no problem. So it looks like this is a regression bug with Calibre 0.7.20.
Strange. Calibre essentially just copies the file to the kobo. If it is in the database on the kobo it should be visible on the device. Can you sent a copy of the epub to my username at gmail.com?

Tim
Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
rhannie8
rhannie8 began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Did we figure out a solution? I've been trying to get my automatically downloaded news on my Kobo, and it shows up on my computer...but when I eject and unplug, I don't see them anywhere. Help?!
rhannie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Hi

How are you downloading the epubs from instapaper? Are you using the news download in Calibre? I can't get it to download anything from InstaPaper so I cannot test it in that manner.

Also, can you check whether copying the file manually to the kobo works?

I can send Instapaper epub (including the one you sent me) to the kobo without any issue. However, if two files with the same name (two InstaPaper files from the same day I see some issues).

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhannie8 View Post
Did we figure out a solution? I've been trying to get my automatically downloaded news on my Kobo, and it shows up on my computer...but when I eject and unplug, I don't see them anywhere. Help?!
It will download to the Calibre Library. Did you send the book to the device?

Tim
Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
rjcroy
Bibliophile

I am thinking that the problem might have been to do with Daylight Savings time changes, and the firmware update I did a couple of months ago. When I checked the time on the Kobo yesterday I noticed it was wrong and also set to GMT. I think this must happened during the firmware upgrade to 1.4.

I am NZ, and we very recently began +1hr daylight savings. My theory is that I loaded an instapaper epub that had a file stamp later than the current time on the Kobo.

I have reset the clock on the Kobo now, +12H, with daylight savings feature enabled. Kobo runs Linux, and I know Linux handles timezones and daylight savings well, so that should be sorted.

I will upgrade my Calibre back up to the current version, and try my luck again.

N.B. I am downloading the epubs from the Instapaper site with the browser which passes them to Calibre.