Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Took me a while to get into Goodreads, but I use it almost exclusively now. I use it mostly to record the books I've read and my ratings. Don't do many review. I suck at reviews

I am a member of the MR group, but I just don't seem to spend much time there. Guess I should have a look around again.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I lose track of many books that might have caught my attention for a brief, shiny moment. The Goodreads app makes it simple for me to pop titles into a "might want to check this out someday" shelf when browsing newsfeeds and "what are you reading now?" threads. It keeps the slush-pile so I don't have to. My "reviews" are probably not very useful to anyone else, but GoodReads will also tweet my reviews/ratings/quotes/status updates to my 3 Twitter followers automatically--thus saving me the effort of having to do so manually. It mostly works to amuse me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I don't know if there's any one thing all users are "supposed" to do on Goodreads or use it for.

I use it to:

1) Catalog my extensive collection. It got to the point that I couldn't remember always what I did or didn't have, especially for old, OP series. Helpful for insurance purposes too.
2) Rate & review books I've read.
3) Interact with like minded readers in several groups
4) Try to get some free giveaways. Gotten a few, but so many people want them, I wouldn't count on it.
5) Keep track of my want list and current reading.
6) I even became a Goodreads librarian, mostly to help correct listings of items from my collection (missing covers, mostly)

Individual mileage may vary.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
You should join the MR group over there, so you can hang out with asses you already know and love.

And I just clicked on your Goodreads profile link and thought, "Wait, that looks familiar..." Ha! Had no idea that was you! 'Tis a small world sometimes.

Yep, 'tis me. Unlike here, at a public forum, at GR I have "some" control about the info others can see, so I feel more comfortable being 'real' and not using an avatar and pseudonym...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I am a member of the MR group, but I just don't seem to spend much time there. Guess I should have a look around again.
No activity there since Mar 2012.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh, that's when I drove them all off!

Last edited by kennyc; 07-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's when I drove them all off!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW as someone said, there are a number or 'ways' of using goodreads. I mostly participate in the Science, Science Fiction, and Short Stories discussion groups. I've listed some books and ratings etc, but nothing like all I've read. I use it mostly to get recommendations, reviews and discussion on short story and science topics.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Is there a way to use Calibre to build your list at Goodreads?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I just use it to read posts in various groups. I'll never list or rate any of the books I've read.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I use it mostly to record the books I've read and my ratings. Don't do many review. I suck at reviews
LOL! Same here. I like reading people's reviews but I myself never post any. I use Goodreads to rate the books I've read and to add books that I want to read. I look at the recommendations, follow my favorite authors, I like looking through the Listopia section, stuff like that
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is there a way to use Calibre to build your list at Goodreads?
I believe the Goodreads Sync plugin will sync FROM calibre TO goodreads. I think you have to do it in batches of 50 or less so as not to overwhelm something at GR and get the plugin banned.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Forgot to mention that other than a few all-time favorites, I strictly use Goodreads in a "from henceforth" manner. No interest in trying to get all my read-in-the-past stuff in there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No activity there since Mar 2012.
What? Um, no, not even close. There must be an old MR group on there.

Our group at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/42178 is small but alive and kicking. Sometimes kicking hard, depending on my mood.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #30
kennyc

That's not the REAL MR group.

Sheesh! That's some fake johnny come lately challenge group. ppppptttt!

See, told ya I ran 'em off.