Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Jonathan Franzen

I've just spent an hour of my Swedish morning watching a German produced documentary (biography) about Jonathan Franzen while simultaneously enjoying some breakfast cereals.

There was some German narrator, but that could easily be replaced by an English speaker. Franzen, his entourage, friends, family etc all spoke English. Hence it would be no problem broadcasting this in the English speaking world. And this is where my curiosity comes in. Would a program like this be broadcast in your country? Let's face it, it's not like it will take viewers away from Modern Family or Breaking Bad, but is a program about literature and an author something that would be watched where you live?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, shows like that do get broadcast in Australia. We have two channels that are government owned and part of their mandate is to show documentaries. One of them will broadcast non-English shows with subtitles. Plus, the pay TV service has some channels that it would be a good fit for. And I've definitely watched documentaries like this with an English voice over, but the credits make it obvious it was made in another language.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not certain if you wanted to talk about Jonathan Franzen, the subject, or shows about literature (the question in your post). Assuming the latter.

On the ABC here in Australia there is a regular show now called The Book Club (previously called "First Tuseday Book Club). Related to that is a series of special episodes called "Jennifer Byrne Presents", interviews with authors (etc.). It's a late timeslot (10pm), so I guess it's not hugely popular, but it's now in its seventh season so it must be doing okay.

So, in Australia, the answer to your question is a pretty definite yes. (I am very pleased to report. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My primary interest was the availability of TV shows related to literature and authors. Seems there is enough of an interest in Australia, including importing foreign language shows and adapt them to local needs. Interesting.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
The Book Club and Jennifer Byrne presents are available online for streaming but I'm not sure weather they would be accessible from an overseas IP

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday/jbp/
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesda...t.htm?tab=2013
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely yes in the UK. We get lots of documentaries on TV.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
My primary interest was the availability of TV shows related to literature and authors. Seems there is enough of an interest in Australia, including importing foreign language shows and adapt them to local needs. Interesting.
Nothing to do with literature ... but everything to do with the variety of documentaries and ordinary tv shows that we get from Scandinavia and everywhere else in the world for that matter (our SBS Channels) ...

Last night I saw the final episode of the Danish thriller The Killing .... oh my, I'm going to re-watch it via SBS on Demand because I just can't believe the ending.

Oh my, Sarah, I'm still in shock, lol

Whilst I've seen each of the 3 tv series I haven't read David Hewson's book devised from series 1.

(By the way, when a show is imported from O/S we hear it in the original language and read the English sub titles)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Så din dansk blir bare bedre og bedre?
Chew on that for a while my dear Lynx-lynx
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Så din dansk blir bare bedre og bedre?
Chew on that for a while my dear Lynx-lynx
Lol

det skulle vara ett mirakel! Men jag försöker!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Excellent Swedish, kudos!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
...is a program about literature and an author something that would be watched where you live?
Pretty much all cable and sat-casting systems in the US carry the C-SPAN channels as a public service:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-SPAN

C-SPAN2 has long carried a series called BOOKTV that takes over the channel on weekends (15 years and counting):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_TV

Here's their schedule for this upcoming weekend. It is typical of their fare:
http://www.booktv.org/schedule.aspx

Canada has a subscription channel call Book Television that devotes some of its time to books and some to book-inspired shows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BookTelevision

With 500+ channels available on most systems there was no reason not to carve up a corner for litfic and other book genres.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Excellent Swedish, kudos!
What can i say ..... Kudos to Google translate

But hey, I can often distinguish between Danish and Swedish and Norwegian now - so that's encouraging!

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-26-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Pretty much all cable and sat-casting systems in the US carry the C-SPAN channels as a public service:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-SPAN

C-SPAN2 has long carried a series called BOOKTV that takes over the channel on weekends (15 years and counting):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_TV

Here's their schedule for this upcoming weekend. It is typical of their fare:
http://www.booktv.org/schedule.aspx

Canada has a subscription channel call Book Television that devotes some of its time to books and some to book-inspired shows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BookTelevision

With 500+ channels available on most systems there was no reason not to carve up a corner for litfic and other book genres.

Hah, I see. I was always under the impression that C-SPAN was broadcasting from Congress, perhaps State Houses locally. Didn't know they were into literature. Would they broadcast something foreign produced, not counting BBC?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
BOOKTV is on during the weekends when Congress isn't usually in session.

The Public TV channel PBS and its local affiliates run documentaries all the time like Bill Moyers' Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Hah, I see. I was always under the impression that C-SPAN was broadcasting from Congress, perhaps State Houses locally. Didn't know they were into literature. Would they broadcast something foreign produced, not counting BBC?
I doubt they have the budget for that kind of stuff.
They *are* a non-profit.
As the schedule shows, they do mostly author sit-down chats. Very cozy stuff.
For documentaries, the place to go was the Documentary Channel which... well, they're trying to be more "hip" to attract younger viewers. They still do documentaries, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documen...el_(TV_channel)

The best place for that kind of material isn't a channel, though.
Netflix has a ton of them on demand.
Hulu and Amazon, a bit less.

For those willing to pay per view, itunes, XBOX video, Vudu, CinemaNow, etc all carry documentaries.
Much like e-books, if you know it exists, you can probably get it one way or another.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote