Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
kindleer
kindleer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How do I get these kindle books free ?

I've been trying to get free books on kindle since yesterday and I still don't understand how. I downloaded some free books but when I try to download these they turn from free to paid.

http://www.amazon.com/Catching-Secon...s_154606011_11

http://www.amazon.com/The-Farmers-Al...s_158127011_10

http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Jackie-Can...ywords=canning

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
kindleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleer View Post
I've been trying to get free books on kindle since yesterday and I still don't understand how. I downloaded some free books but when I try to download these they turn from free to paid.

http://www.amazon.com/Catching-Secon...s_154606011_11

http://www.amazon.com/The-Farmers-Al...s_158127011_10

http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Jackie-Can...ywords=canning

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Why do think they are supposed to be free?
Did you get some kind of offer or gift card?

Are you possibly talking about the offer for Prime members?

If so, you need to read what it says on the screen:

Quote:
Prime Members: $0.00 (borrow for free from your Kindle) Prime Eligible
Includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

For Kindle Device Owners

Amazon Prime members with a Kindle device now enjoy free access to this book. Join Prime to borrow this book at no cost.

With Prime, Kindle owners can choose from over 145,000 titles to borrow for free – including all seven Harry Potter books and more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers – as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates. Learn more about Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
kindleer

I do have a Amazon Prime membership. The first time i used it, it worked. Now i can't get free books anymore.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can only borrow one book a month. Has it been a month since your last loan?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
kindleer

Ah, I see. I thought you could get as many as you wanted. I used it yesterday so I guess I'll have to wait. Thank you guys for the help.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe it works on calendar months, so you should be able to get another one on 1st Jan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

What everyone else said plus you have to return any borrowed book before you can borrow another one. So even though you will be eligible to borrow another book on January 1st you cannot do so until you return the one you currently have.

Hint: Since you can only borrow one book per calendar month, be sure it is worth borrowing. View the sample first. I made the mistake of borrowing a couple of books in the past few months that were gawd awful. Now I check them out via the sample before borrowing to hopefully weed out any stinkers.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Of course, there are other places you can get free books, but mostly you will have to download them to your computer first then load them via the USB cable.
Generally they will be public domain (so out of copyright) books which have been digitised by volunteers. You can look here on this forum, and at Gutenberg or Manybooks, for starters. You need mobi or azw format, and you can just copy them to your kindle which should show as a drive on your computer.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Of course, there are other places you can get free books, but mostly you will have to download them to your computer first then load them via the USB cable.
Generally they will be public domain (so out of copyright) books which have been digitised by volunteers. You can look here on this forum, and at Gutenberg or Manybooks, for starters. You need mobi or azw format, and you can just copy them to your kindle which should show as a drive on your computer.
And after DLing them to your PC/Mac you can also use the Send to Kindle app/feature to upload them to the Cloud.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
And after DLing them to your PC/Mac you can also use the Send to Kindle app/feature to upload them to the Cloud.
Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of that one. I don't know how computer savvy the OP is, but that would be another way, or they could email them to their send to kindle email addy. But not everyone wants to bother with anything outside Amazon, of course.
My husband just says "get me this, please" and it appears like magic on his home page.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I half expected this thread to be in reference to some pirating site. Ha.

You can also find free books on amazon by doing a blank query in the Kindle store and sorting by price low to high. The quality can suck, though, so be warned.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
I half expected this thread to be in reference to some pirating site. Ha.

You can also find free books on amazon by doing a blank query in the Kindle store and sorting by price low to high. The quality can suck, though, so be warned.
I tend to get about 90% of my books from Amazon for free. I read through the EReaderIQ free books list every day to find random books that look interesting, then do a price sort on certain genres to see what new freebies are available. As long as I'm patient, I can also usually grab a few books off my wishlist for free throughout the year. For the others, I wait for gift cards (on Amazon) or discount codes (on other sites) to get them cheaper than full price.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote