Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
lol
lol began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX Global
Kindle DX Global battery replacement

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle DX Global, but I've learned that the batteries are not customer replaceable.

To my knowledge, all batteries have a shelf life, and eventually the battery for the Kindle DX Global will need to be replaced. I called Amazon customer service to see how one would go about doing that (I live in Canada). The front line agent kept trying to tell me the battery would be replaced free of charge during the warranty period. I asked him what he would tell a customer who was calling in to have the battery replaced after the warranty period expires. I was told a transfer to the warranty team would be in order (?). I asked to be transferred, and lo and behold, was told that Amazon does not replace the Kindle DX battery. I was told that Amazon would sell me a refurbished kindle DX for $259 for a battery problem after the warranty expires (!!).

I'm not so sure I want to go ahead with my purchase now, and it's a bit disappointing after all the good things I've read about the Kindle DX (no memory card slot not withstanding).

I have come a across a few websites that show you how to access the Kindle DX battery, and it seems that it is possible to replace it, albeit not without risking damage to the Kindle.

My questions to the good folk of this forum are these:

Does anyone have an idea how long the battery life (not holding a charge, but until it dies for good) of the Kindle DX battery is? [Amazon doesn't.] Am I worrying for nothing?

Has anyone had problems with their Kindle DX battery and if so was it resolved?

Has anyone tried replacing their battery and if so was is successful? Where did you get the replacement battery and what kind was it?

I came across a website that said the battery for the Kindle DX is the same as the battery for the Kindle 2; it just has a different part number. I did find a company (called UltraSonic) on Amazon.com that sells replacement batteries for the Kindle 2, and I'm waiting to hear back whether they sell batteries for the Kindle DX. Anyone here know of a vendor that would ship a Kindle DX Global replacement battery to Canada?
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I have the memory of someone saying that Amazon would replace the battery for $59 or so (way too expensive).
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
CrunchGear did a tear down of Kindle 2 which is probably similar to the DX and says the battery looks like it's pretty easy to replace yourself if the time comes.

Quote:
Most interestingly the battery is actually easy to find and attack, given enough patience. Because this is basically a press-fit case, you need to use annoying iPod opening tools which will definitely void your warranty. However, it does mean you could potentially bybass Amazon’s $60 battery replacement fee if you were so inclined.
The $109 2 year extended warranty (available in the U.S. only) includes battery replacement.

Quote:
One time claim for battery malfunction during second year of coverage
I'd probably go for the self-install.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You might try here........they sell kindle parts, as well as the k2 battery.

Not sure about shipping, you'd need to contact them.

I am shocked that amazon expects to sell you another reader if/when this battery dies instead of replacing the battery for you. Unacceptable.

http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...1d97e3987ed9c0
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I have the memory of someone saying that Amazon would replace the battery for $59 or so (way too expensive).
Yeah, me too. I actually quoted this to the warranty agent, and he asked me where I heard this (I think it was on this forum). Perhaps I should have pressed him or spoken to a supervisor, but this agent seemed assured that Amazon does not replace the battery. If I was a customer calling in for an actual replacement, I would have been told, sorry no, but we'll sell you a refurbished Kindle for $259.
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

I am shocked that amazon expects to sell you another reader if/when this battery dies instead of replacing the battery for you. Unacceptable.
I'm shocked, too. Has anyone else contacted Amazon and asked them about replacing the battery? I'd be interested to hear what they told you.

Thanks for the link, DesertGrandma
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've sent the following email to Amazon CS......we'll see what they say. I wonder, if this is indeed true, if people realize this. I know I would never buy such a device.

Hello.

Once the warranty period expires, what is the battery replacement policy for the Kindle DX?

I know that with the K2, there is a $59 charge to replace the battery.

Thank you...........
Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
lol

OK, I'm not sure if I rang a false alarm here, and I apologize if I did. I also sent an e-mail to Kindle support not long ago and I've just received this reply:

"The Kindle battery is covered under the initial one-year warranty, as well as the extended warranty offered on Amazon.com. Once you're outside the one- or two-year warranty period, you can get the battery replaced for $59 (plus $10 shipping and handling)."

I explained that I live in Canada (re: shipping, etc.) and asked for an explanation as to how I would initiate this request, so I'm going to write back for clarification. I'm also going to mention the fact that I was told a refurbished unit was the only option for a dead battery after the warranty period. I'm still a bit shocked that the information I received from Amazon is so conflicting.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's your proof from the Amazon forums (for Kindle 2, I don't know why it would be different for the DX).

Quote:
Posted on Feb 26, 2009 4:20 PM PST
Amazon Kindle Customer Service says:
Good Evening. This is the Official Amazon.com Customer Service post for 2/26/2009:

Kindle 2 Battery
We learned from the first generation Kindle that changing the battery was rarely needed, so Kindle 2's battery is not user replaceable. The battery is covered under the initial one year warranty as well as the extended warranty offered on Amazon.com. Once outside the one or two year warranty period you can get it replaced for a $59 fee (plus $8 shipping & handling). If you encounter any kind of power or charging issues during the life of your Kindle 2, you can contact Kindle Support for assistance.
Also the support page for the battery states:

Quote:
CTIA 1725 Battery Safety Statements

The rechargeable battery in your Kindle should be replaced only by an Amazon authorized service provider. To prevent damage to your Kindle or injury to yourself or others:
Edit: I see you found your information while I was typing.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

They are referring to "the kindle battery"

Did you specify the Kindle DX?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
lol

OK, I'm not sure if I rang a false alarm here, and I apologize if I did. I also sent an e-mail to Kindle support not long ago and I've just received this reply:

"The Kindle battery is covered under the initial one-year warranty, as well as the extended warranty offered on Amazon.com. Once you're outside the one- or two-year warranty period, you can get the battery replaced for $59 (plus $10 shipping and handling)."

I explained that I live in Canada (re: shipping, etc.) and asked for an explanation as to how I would initiate this request, so I'm going to write back for clarification. I'm also going to mention the fact that I was told a refurbished unit was the only option for a dead battery after the warranty period expires. I'm still a bit shocked that the information I received from Amazon is so contradictory.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

reply from the kindle CS........very quickly, too!

Hello,

Thanks for writing to Amazon.com.

The replacement policy for Kindle DX battery is same as Kindle 2 in the amount of $59.00 to replace the battery.

If you have any power or charging problems during the life of your Kindle, you can contact Kindle Support for assistance.

Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. You can reach us by phone directly and toll free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option in the right-hand column of our Kindle Support pages at:

http://www.amazon.com
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
reply from the kindle CS........very quickly, too!

Hello,

Thanks for writing to Amazon.com.

The replacement policy for Kindle DX battery is same as Kindle 2 in the amount of $59.00 to replace the battery.

If you have any power or charging problems during the life of your Kindle, you can contact Kindle Support for assistance.

Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. You can reach us by phone directly and toll free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option in the right-hand column of our Kindle Support pages at:

http://www.amazon.com
Ok, great. Thanks for posting this reply from Amazon. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes that Amazon wouldn't replace a battery out of warranty. What a weird experience I had with Amazon today. I'm used to them being really on the ball.

Thanks again for everybody's input.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
OK, I'm not sure if I rang a false alarm here, and I apologize if I did.
By reporting what you first hand were told, you alerted us to a possible huge problem.

I had a hard time believing it myself, which is why i emailed them directly.

Now we know (hopefully this info is correct) so no harm done.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Sometimes the phone CS people are not as knowledgeable as the email CS people. I'm not sure that calling always gets you someone who knows about the Kindle. Email will get to the right people even if they have to pass around your email internally.