Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
KazariK
KazariK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Ebooks for the 505

Good Day all

Well I have been trying to do some research on the 505. Airmiles in Canada (not sure about US) is now offering the 505 as one of the reward items (Very excited about that!)..

Anyways, here is the situation. I have a large number of Ebooks that I have gotten in the past, and would love to re-read them on the 505, BUT from what I understand, the 505 doesnt support the LIT file.

I believe I saw a LIT converting program out there that will change it into PDF. My question is that correct, and how well do they turn out?

Does the 505 support LIT files?

Thanks every one!

Kaz
KazariK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to the forum. No the Sonys don't support the LIT format. There is a conversion program (ConvertLit - check out WIKI for it) that will convert DRM free LIT files.

There is another conversion program (Calibre) that, I think, they're working on a LIT conversion but I'm not sure.

Personally I've stayed away from LIT ebooks mainly because it is so hard to get the SW to work on my PC.

Good luck.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazariK View Post
Good Day all

Well I have been trying to do some research on the 505. Airmiles in Canada (not sure about US) is now offering the 505 as one of the reward items (Very excited about that!)..

Anyways, here is the situation. I have a large number of Ebooks that I have gotten in the past, and would love to re-read them on the 505, BUT from what I understand, the 505 doesnt support the LIT file.

I believe I saw a LIT converting program out there that will change it into PDF. My question is that correct, and how well do they turn out?

Does the 505 support LIT files?

Thanks every one!

Kaz

The 505 does not support Lit files. You can take your non-DRM'd Lit's (see ConvertLit if they're DRM'd, very easy to use) and run them through Calibre which will convert them to LRF's which is Sony's format or convert them to ePub which the 505 also supports.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Good afternoon, Kaz, and welcome to MobileRead.

You'll get good advice here, lots of friendly knowledgeable people around.

Tell us what you like to read, where you are from,

and be sure and join in on our "What Device do you Own" poll.....choose as many as you have.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37730
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
There is another conversion program (Calibre) that, I think, they're working on a LIT conversion but I'm not sure.
You still need ConvertLIT to remove DRM, but calibre's extraction (to HTML) capability is much better than ConvertLIT's at this point. And you'd need calibre or some other conversion tool anyway to convert the HTML to something readable on the Reader.

But the good news is that calibre does do all that, and makes it easy .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
KazariK
KazariK began at the beginning.

Hey all!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sooo happy to be here!

My wife and I have wanted a Ebook reader for the LONGEST time, but the price just hasnt made it a possibility. In the past we would just get the LIT books, downloaded Microsoft Reader and read them on the computer or laptop.

But as I mentioned before, Airmiles.ca now offers the Sony PRS-505. I would really like to get one for my wife and then in time another for myself.
I believe we have over 100 books, maybe more. I have TONS of PDF files so not worried about those.

As for what type of stuff do I read? Well due to work and school I do a lot of my student manuals and other books that I use for further research. I also have a large collection of sci-fi fantasy books and some other fantasy books.

I will certainly look into that program you all mentioned.
If you there will be no issue with converting the LIT books to something useable by the 505 then I will get one for sure!!

I wish it had the whole WIFI thing along with a few other features but hey, a 505 for free?! GOT to like that!

Kaz
KazariK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
How long does conversion take? It may just be easier to re-download those .lit books in the proper format
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
How long does conversion take? It may just be easier to re-download those .lit books in the proper format
Very quickly.

1. [Only if DRM' LIT] ConvertLitGUI: "downconvert."
2. Calibre: add file, convert, send to device* [or use #3 to load to Reader].
3. [if you didn't send to device using Calibre*] Sony eBook Library: Add File.

*Sony's eBook Library pre-paginates, while Calibre doesn't.

P.S. Calibre documentation says .lit is their favored format for converting to .lrf. So you'll get good conversions.

Also, Calibre is great for altering metadata, and wonderful for free newspapers and magazines in various languages.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote