Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
gbuergisser
gbuergisser began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Overlayed text

I'm currently reading Stephen King's 'Needful Things' in german. I encountered a passage with "overlayed text", I don't know how to explain - please see the attached picture.
The same passage in Adobe Digital Editions displays OK.

Is this a known bug? Are there any workarounds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20111121_001.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	622.1 KB
ID:	79209  
gbuergisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
spacebrew
Enthusiast
spacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud ofspacebrew has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-350, Droid X2
Did you try flipping forward and backward a few times? It looks like artifacts from a previous page that didn't get refreshed out. Another thing you can try - open the epub file with an archive manager like 7zip and search for a text phrase very near that block, then have a look and see what it looks like in the source file.
spacebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
In addition to spacebrew's suggestions, you might also try changing the font size. I vaguely remember having a similar problem with a book, and it seemed like changing the font size helped. Can't remember if the problem still existed when I went back to the font size that exhibited the overwriting or not, but I'm pretty sure it didn't exist at other sizes.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
gbuergisser
gbuergisser began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
It is not a refresh problem. Flipping forward and backward doesn't help. But changing the font size does!

Since it's a DRM'ed epub file I can't open it and search for text phrases (except you can tell me how to do it - I opened it in an archive manager; it contains a lot of encrypted html files). And since the problem does not appear on the desktop using Adobe Digital Editions, I suspect it is a firmware bug.
gbuergisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I can't offer much help, but I am fairly confident it is not a 'known bug'. I have been following SONY readers for quite a while, and used four of them so far (two 900s, one 350 and one 950) and never encountered anything quite like it.

However, poor formatting of epubs - and you see A LOT OF IT - can create all sorts of weird problems. Unfortunately, editors keep treating us like second-class customers.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with vxf--almost certainly a formatting problem with the ePub. As I posted earlier, I vaguely remember this happening with a book I was reading. Pretty sure it was only with one font size. That was several books ago. Haven't had it happen since, and I read a lot on reader!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote