Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Any chance we might see this in ePub format?
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
Any chance we might see this in ePub format?
There is an ePub of just The Thirty-Nine Steps that was recently posted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ... actually that was what caused me to go looking for more of the series. Found the Omnibus had been done in LRF format, but since I have a PRS-600 I am trying to stay with ePub as much as possible.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
I'm not sure if this is a typo, but in location 1472 it says, "I rubbed my eyes and asked myself if I was not the most immortal fool on earth..."

Is that right, "immortal fool?" Should it be "immoral fool?" He's questioning his judgment, not his divinity, I think. Or am I just out of touch with a cliche?

Ok, now I'm questioning my judgment. Because now I think the author could mean something like "I'll forever be a fool if I do this." Maybe something like the term "eternal optimist."
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What I do in this cases is search for the surrounding text in Google Books, and look at some old scans or modern editions of reputable publishers (otherwise, you'll find modern editions that are a direct printing of Project Gutenberg text, and those will have exactly the same typos).

In this case, I find scans from 1915, 1919, 1958, 1965... all of them have "immortal", so it was either the author's intent or a very early printer's error.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am currently thoroughly proofing my "Richard Hannay Omnibus" against the Penguin edition. When complete, I'll post in all the usual formats.

"Immortal" is the text in the Penguin edition; as suggested, I think he means that he is, and always will be, a fool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
I finished it today. So different from the Alfred Hitchcock movie, I didn't realize I'd seen the film version of this until I wikipedia'd it.

Just wanted to say thank you for putting this together. I enjoyed it, and I probably would never have read it if you hadn't posted it here. I really appreciate it!
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are any of the other stories in the omnibus any better then Thirty-Nine Steps? I found that one to be rather dull overall and a bit silly in spots too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are any of the other stories in the omnibus any better then Thirty-Nine Steps? I found that one to be rather dull overall and a bit silly in spots too.
Try the second, _Greenmantle_. Richard Hannay is recruited by the chap from Intelligence in _The 39 Steps_ for a secret mission on the Turkish front in the middle east, where something is happening among the Muslims.

If you found _The 39 Steps_ "dull", you may not like it, as _The 39 Steps_ moves along at a rather breakneck pace once you get into it, and the "silliness" is mostly a matter of unlikely occurrences and being set in a time with values and standards rather unlike our own.

If _Greenmantle_ doesn't do it for you, drop John Buchan from your reading list, as you just won't get what he does.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #25
frquixote
Addict

Harry,

Looking forward to the Omnibus in ePub!

Last edited by frquixote; 08-01-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
HithNibth
Connoisseur
HithNibth has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung NC10 and Palm TX
Thanks Harry. You've done a lot of work on this project. You must love words and books as much as I do.

Bri
HithNibth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I had no idea Mr. Hannay had featured as a main character in more than one story myself. Robert Donat did a good job in the movie version I think. Of course the viewer is left wondering why the police couldn't catch him in one scene (he had a breathing problem and couldn't really run). He was supposed to play the title role in Captain Blood as well but due to how physical the role was (sword fights etc) he had to turn it down. So Errol Flynn got his big break.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thoroughly proofed all the books in the omnibus against printed editions. Most were in a reasonable state, but "The Courts of the Morning" required extensive work to correct it. I'd now regard this as pretty much a finished product - if you find any remaining errors, please let me know. Uploaded v5.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote