Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
guineapiguser
guineapiguser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Sony PRS-505
Found Perfect and Cheap USB to Power Charger/Adapter solution for Kindle

Hey fellow Kindle users,

While in my local Staples, pilfering the clearance bin, I found an interesting cell phone /wire connector set which had an adapter cable that looked like it might just fit in my Kindle. After buying it for a rip-off price of 50 cents, it turned out to be a perfect fit, and it doubled as a USB -> mini-usb connector too.

Basically it is an: USB -> miniUSB + power adapter that fits into Kindle power adapter slot.

The reason why USB -> power adapter is better then charging from USB -> mini-USB is that you don't have to goto USB Drive Mode (which prevents you from reading), when connecting with mini-USB connector alone.

This means YOU CAN KEEP READING while charging your Kindle next to your laptop via USB port!

As a bonus, it seems this wire is both plentiful and cheap on eBay (or if you're too lazy you can find it in most office-supply/ electronics stores)

This is the specific product I bought for 50 cents (if you want to scrounge around your local Staples clearance bins)
http://store.palm.com/sm-belkin-usb-...i-2165159.html

But you can buy them on ebay if you search specifically for:

"palm zire usb cable". Tons to be had for $4-5 Dollars shipped. Make sure you get the Zire 72 or Tungsten type and not the wrong type of Palm cable.

Note: Though I already scored the belkin version of this cable, I managed to find on ebay a better retractable version for $4.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=014

(Note: still waiting for this one to arrive, but it should fit, and I will update thread if it doesn't fit)

With a retractable version, that means I can charge my Kindle anywhere I want, bring a spare charge cable in my pocket to plug into USB, and transfer stuff onto Kindle if necessary

Last edited by guineapiguser; 01-15-2008 at 06:48 PM.
guineapiguser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Thanks for the tip, I bought an el cheapo off ebay and it works great. I love being able to charge my kindle from my PC using the power port.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Is this right one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiguser View Post
Make sure you get the Zire 72 or Tungsten type and not the wrong type of Palm cable.

Note: Though I already scored the belkin version of this cable, I managed to find on ebay a better retractable version for $4.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=014
This link is unvalid. I think Palm Zire 72 or tungsten is right one, but I just want to check. Since I live outside of US, the shipping fee is great(almost over $30 -_- gaash) But I really like to read while charging I know charging time is not so long, but I'd prefer my bag lighter when I travel.

So, this one : http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Charger-Sync...3A1%7C294%3A50 : is right too? :-)

I'm pretty sure it is USB Charger Sync Cable for Palm Zire 31 72 Tungsten E so It will work out. But I need to confirm it before I buy it (Plus shipping, it cost almost $35 for me. Arrrrgh! But If I order this until tomorrow morning, cost will be less- I'll ask cheap shipping. )

:-)
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanasea View Post
But I really like to read while charging I know charging time is not so long, but I'd prefer my bag lighter when I travel.
Is there something wrong with the charger that comes in the Kindle box?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I think he wants to charge thru the computer instead of plugging it into a wall......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
hanasea
Enthusiast

:-)

Quote:
No
I just live outside of US, far far away from decent 110v, and I need a 220v converter for wall charger.
Also I have a lab top and USB charging looks like more simple solution for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think he wants to charge thru the computer instead of plugging it into a wall......
Yup! You are right
I saw your alot of helpful post out there. I love you guys >_<

P.S. I just want to tell you I'm a girl. ('-' )v

Last edited by hanasea; 01-26-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Telling people my gender..?lol
Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Our error. We apologize. Won't happen again.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No
I just live outside of US, far far away from decent 110v, and I need a 220v converter for wall charger.
The kindle charger says on it 100-240v.

Quote:
Also I have a lab top and USB charging looks like more simple solution for me.
Just keep in mind the Kindle doesn't charge through the USB port. This has been discussed before.

Quote:
Yup! You are right
I saw your alot of helpful post out there. I love you guys >_<
Doh... sorry about that. If this charger will allow you to use it for multiple devices I get it.

Quote:
I knew that. Or I think I did based on your Avatar.

BOb
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
hanasea
Enthusiast

Post Yes, yes, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Our error. We apologize. Won't happen again.
Thank you, Grandma
I read a lot of posting out there, and I saw your name *a lot*
I feel like I have one more Grandma, and It feels good :-D

Quote:
The kindle charger says on it 100-240v.

Just keep in mind the Kindle doesn't charge through the USB port. This has been discussed before.

Doh... sorry about that. If this charger will allow you to use it for multiple devices I get it.

I knew that. Or I think I did based on your Avatar.
Yes, Kindle support 220v, but my wall slot form is different with this. Well, I don't need a converter but I need a thing that we call "Pig-nose" .. I don't know what you guys call this. Something that you bring when you travel outside of US =) to use US's chargers. Hehe

Oops. I thought the Kindle could charge through the USB port. I should find this thread I'll dive into search's sea again. As I told you, I read every Amazon Kindle Discussion Forum thread and found a thread about charging-USB-soloution. May I understood wrong ? :-)
(I think your first insight is right )

And your Avatar telling me, You're a nice penguin gentlman =D

Thanks, BOb!
(And I'm just wondering, Your name is BOb, and not Bob, right? =)
Is there any meaning for middle big "O" ? =D)

Have a nice day!

Last edited by hanasea; 01-26-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, BOb!
Glad to help.

Quote:
(And I'm just wondering, Your name is BOb, and not Bob, right? =)
Is there any meaning for middle big "O" ? =D)
My name is "Bob" my forum signature is "BOb". Came about from doing it accidentally so many times (been online for a long time) due to not getting off the SHIFT key fast enough.

BOb
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Yes, Kindle support 220v, but my wall slot form is different with this. Well, I don't need a converter but I need a thing that we call "Pig-nose" .. I don't know what you guys call this. Something that you bring when you travel outside of US =) to use US's chargers. Hehe
We call it an adapter (travel adapter, plug adapter)

Quote:
Oops. I thought the Kindle could charge through the USB port. I should find this thread I'll dive into search's sea again. As I told you, I read every Amazon Kindle Discussion Forum thread and found a thread about charging-USB-soloution. May I understood wrong ? :-)
With the Palm Zire cable you connect one end to the USB port on your computer and the other end into the charging jack on the Kindle, not the USB port. It works perfectly.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
sorahl
sorahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
was that the right item? I'm gonna pick one up if it is.

Cheers,

john
sorahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think this is the right one but if someone can confirm it, I would feel better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Sync-Charge-...3A1%7C294%3A50

I like the idea of charging from the computer and being able to read at the same time.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
That would probably work. What I use is: http://www.eforcity.com/usb-data-cha...mtungdat1.html
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the link. I like eforcity and will go with that one.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote