Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
Angry Indesign 8.0.1 Update (Do not translate carriage return to nbsp in EPUB export) WHY??

I know half of you will start flaming for using Indesign for setting up the foundation of an ePub so if that is you please exit this thread, for the others....
What could possibly be the reason for removing this? How is one suppose to acheive a blank space between paragraphs now? Go in to the html and manually add one in at every single spot where you would like a black space between paragraphs or headings? What a pain. CS5 was like that, then they allowed the carriage returns to add the nbsp in CS6 and now they take it away. What a pain in the neck.
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You are supposed to add spacing between paragraphs the same way as in any modern word processor. The paragraph has an identification and that identification is where you define fonts, spacing between paragraphs, font size, margin and many other things. Upon translation these items will be placed in a CSS to control the ePub replication of this paragraph. Adding a space line between paragraphs went out with the typewriter.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
At first I though you meant line breaks, but then, if I read that correctly (blank spaces between paragraphs), you want an empty paragraph with just a space (" "). Ok... I guess you're one of those people that press Enter when you want to add a bit of space between paragraphs. That's just wrong. Instead of empty paragraphs, you should style the next paragraph with that extra bit of spacing.

On a side note, I think Sigil also gets rid of those automatically. It's just bad typography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Adding a space line between paragraphs went out with the typewriter.
+1

Last edited by DSpider; 12-15-2012 at 06:58 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Or maybe they want to make a scene break which is sometimes done via extra space.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Or maybe they want to make a scene break which is sometimes done via extra space.
This can also be done using styles for a scene break paragraph.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
I use a blank paragraph for scene breaks because when I use margin-top, mobi7 doesn't honor it when I convert it via kindlegen (the new mobi seems fine). The blank paragraph with a non-breaking space is honored on every reading device I've looked at. I know it's bad code, but fortunately, nobody is looking at my code.

That said, why not add the non-breaking space in InDesign? It's on the Type menu under Insert White Space (or memorize the keyboard command).
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Kindlegen honors (or more accurately, interprets) margin-top correctly for mobi7, so far as I know. It always did so in the past, anyway. Last I heard, it was InDesign that was leaving the margin-top property out of its paragraph styles starting with CS6. Big uproar, that. I think I heard rumors that it was "fixed" in a later version?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
Pat yourself on the back for the spacing between paragraphs went out with the typerwriter comment....cheers. I am not writing a novel here. I need spaces between sections of information, for example I have hundreds of points of contact that need to be in a handbook and instead of having all that contact information run together it looks much better when there is a blank space between each contact. If you set the space after attribute to the paragraph style it adds spaces between each line of text when I copy and paste the info from the original document. I see why people suggest staying away from Indesign as a foundation for ePub creation but when its all you have thats what I have to work with. Some of you make it sound like no one in their right mind would ever use ENTER to add spaces in any type of document. If that is the case then why would Adobe even bother to remove that feature from Indesign seeings that no one does that. Oh well, I guess I will be uninstalling Indesign and reinstalling without the latest update. Thanks for your input.
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub indesign html nbsp