Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Reading the same book on two Kindles

So, Mrs L and I both decided we wanted to read The Girl Who Played with Fire. We both have Kindles, but mine is registered to my US account, and hers to her UK account. So it looked like we would have to buy two copies of the same book.

At first, I though I would de-register my Kindle from my US account, and register it to her UK account. That way, we could easily (and legally) share the book. But I decided not to do that, mainly because I generally buy books that are available in the US. Her Kindle has wireless access (mine doesn't), and she prefers to use wireless to buy books, so didn't want to register hers to the US.

In the end, I adopted the obvious solution (well, it's obvious to me). But I wonder what other folk would do in that situation?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The obvious solution to me would have been to download to "Kindle for PC" on one device, remove the DRM, then upload the resulting DRM-free file to the other Kindle. Legally dubious, but (for me at least) ethically fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
pretty much what he said, send it to your computer and then load it on whatever Kindle is not connected to the account that bought it. and I have a really hard time feeling legally dubious about this
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I would have just swapped Kindles except I'm not sure hubby would want to read with my pink cover
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I would have just swapped Kindles except I'm not sure hubby would want to read with my pink cover
they wanted to read the same book simultaneously. pink or not. as I understand it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
they wanted to read the same book simultaneously. pink or not. as I understand it
Yes you're right, I missed the part that said both.

I can't see an obvious and legal way of reading the exact same copy of a book then at the same time unless one reads it on a Kindle app (Kindle for PC or iPhone etc) and the other reads on a Kindle. Unless you used the text to speech function so you could listen to it together!

I'm intrigued to know now how it was done.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you going to leave us in suspense, Mike, or tell us what you actually did do?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you going to leave us in suspense, Mike, or tell us what you actually did do?
Well, first let me tell you what I didn't do.

Rightly or wrongly, I still feel a bit doubtful about removing DRM. Actually, that's not quite true. I don't have any pangs of conscience about the process of DRM removal - but only if the book was entirely for my own use.

But I'm not completely sure about removing it in order to make copies for other people to read. Maybe the fact that the other person happens to be married to me would make a difference, but I'm not sure. What if my sister-in-law also asked for a copy? Would it still be ethical? Where do you draw the line?

Swapping Kindles. Yes, this is a better idea. The trouble is that I'm a much slower reader than my wife. Plus, she likes to read two or three books at the same time, whereas I can only handle one at a time.

If we swapped Kindles, I'd have to hang onto hers for a couple of weeks or more, during which time she'd be wanting to read several of her own books. We don't have the same taste in books (Stieg Larsson's works being an exception), and she's unlikely to find anything on my device that she likes.

The solution we adopted is one that will doubtless be met with abhorrence by all right-thinking members of MobileRead. Nevertheless ...

We bought the paperback version.

Before you rush to condemn me, let me point to the economics:

Kindle version of The Girl Who Played with Fire on Amazon.com: $7.99 (say, £5.50).

Kindle version on Amazon UK: £2.68

Total cost of ebook: £8.18

Cost of paperback (Amazon UK with free delivery): £3.85

To me, that's a compelling argument.

Mind you, I haven't actually started reading the book yet. Maybe after a few pages I'll be longing for the convenience of the electronic version. We'll see.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Radical solution!

To answer your question about ethics, personally I would only ever remove DRM to transfer a book between readers that I owned myself. If I had a wife, I'd probably consider that a close enough relationship. Sister-in-law? No, I wouldn't do that.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

We bought the paperback version.
I did not see that coming. I was sure you purchased another Kindle copy.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru

No I didn't see that coming either - never even considered that shocking option! But yes I can see why you did it though.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard

Yes, I agree it's radical ... shocking, even. In the watches of the night, I've had moments of doubt. But I'm determined to see it through ...

Sorry, getting a bit carried away here. Seriously, though, I'll give it a try and let you all know how it goes.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would have registered one of the Kindles to the others account and shared the book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would have registered one of the Kindles to the others account and shared the book.
Normally, that might be a good solution, but I explained why I didn't want to do that in my opening post.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Normally, that might be a good solution, but I explained why I didn't want to do that in my opening post.
I saw your explination, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't chose to sideload a book. I would love to have someone who has a UK account avaialable. Your household strikes me as the ideal Kindle household. You have legitimate access to both the UK and US stores. So you have the wider selection in the US and the lower prices, from what I have read, in the UK.

As I understand it, since you are married you both should have legal access to the other account and it should be fine to register and de-register Kindles on both accounts. You should be able to sideload a book or two pretty quickly and legally. When you are done, she re-registers her Kindle to the UK account and is fine using wireless.

Then again I am biased. I have tried reading paperback and hard cover books since I got my K1 and have not made it past the first chapter in any of the books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote