Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
wchris
Book lover
wchris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
The series of books starting with "44 Scotland Street" is the best of all - Bertie is one of the true heroes of modern literature. "Corduroy Mansions" is still available on the Telegraph if you can be bothered to download all 100 chapters individually.
wchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
jcbeam
jcbeam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ladies Dective Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I discovered the series before it *was* a series (i.e. just after the first book was published). I really like Mma Ramotse and her gentle approach to her career as a private investigator.

McCall Smith's books show Botswana in a very positive regard, and Mma Ramotse always reflects on her love for her country.

All-in-all, this is a delightful series that I heartily recommend. Now I just need to find out how to get to view the mini-series. I'm hoping PBS (or my local PBS station) will pick it up.
As an aside, if any intereset, this is now an HBO series (based on the first book) starring R&B songwriter, poet, singer Jill Scott. First episode was last Sunday.
jcbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
TV Series

The tv series just started airing in the US on HBO. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it.

If it does well I would assume one of the more mainstream cable stations will pick it up?

Its actually a nice change of pace from the ususal tv series that HBO shows.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote