Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I read fiction while listening to music. I find it very easy to do and not distracting in the least.
I think our brains are wired different. I can't do it. Music is such a part of me I must listen to every note, every lyric and every instrument. I can't do that and read but I wish I could.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think our brains are wired different. I can't do it. Music is such a part of me I must listen to every note, every lyric and every instrument. I can't do that and read but I wish I could.
I mostly listen to classical music while reading. Sometimes, I'll listen to nature sounds.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I mostly listen to classical music while reading. Sometimes, I'll listen to nature sounds.
I like Calm Radio have you tried it? The Native American channel is my favorite! I get it through Tune In on my Roku.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-24-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I have always read books with music playing in the background. When I use the PW 2013, my Grace Internet radio streams out soft music for me in monotone. When I use the HDX 2013, the HDX streams out the music in stereo.

Soft music sets the mood for me to immerse in reading my eBooks. I find Japanese love ballads sung by women in soft tones the best. Here are some examples:

Sakamoto Maaya - Gravity
Sakamoto Maaya - Yubiwa
Utada Hikaru - Deep River
Utada Hikaru - Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro
Utada Hikaru - First Love
Nakashima Mika - Find The Way
Crystal Kay - A Song For You
Yellow Generation - Kimi ga Itakara ~Eternal Way~
Yae - Blasa

I also like songs playing about Heaven and the Way. Some samples of these are: "I Can't Wait", "Three Wooden Crosses," and "Rock of Ages."

Some great songs from WW Ii are: "White Cliffs of Dover" sung by Vera Lynn and "Lilli Marlene" sung by a variety of singers from German to English to Irish.

I believe the HDX 2013 is a must if one likes music. It is the best music player I know about. Plus, its reading fonts in dim light at sunset cannot be beat.

On the other hand the PW 2013 is at its best in bright light conditions. The only Active Content I like for the PW is this Weather Active Content:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuWeather/dp...dle+Paperwhite

In dim light conditions the PW 2013 is really not appropriate and the HDX 2013 shines much better LITERALLY.

The must have app for the Kindle Fire HDX is the GSam Battery Monitor available here:

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Battery-M...indle+Fire+HDX

It gives one detailed information on battery usage.

For those with more guts than me there is an Active Content app for the PW 2013 to show numerical battery strength available here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=8

Its not available at the Amazon store so I won't use it. However, for you folks, who use Calibre a lot, it may well be appropriate. There is a risk that new firmware upgrades could cause that active content not to work or to work incorrectly.

The HDX 2013 allows for text to speech on ALL eBooks with either a male or female voice and in a variety of languages. One could listen to an eBook playing while eating a meal or doing other activities. The only defect in it is there is no sleep timer available for it that I know about. Thus, it cannot be used when going to sleep. It is available in the font menu.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
In dim light conditions the PW 2013 is really not appropriate and the HDX 2013 shines much better LITERALLY.
I completely disagree; the PW is excellent in poor light or darkness. The HDX probably does have a brighter light, but I don't want to read with a glaring light shining in my eyes. You don't need a bright light if you're in a poorly lit or dark room - just something to comfortably illuminate the screen.

The only reasons tablets need a very bright backlight is so that the screen can be seen in brightly-lit surroundings.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use white on black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I completely disagree; the PW is excellent in poor light or darkness. The HDX probably does have a brighter light, but I don't want to read with a glaring light shining in my eyes. You don't need a bright light if you're in a poorly lit or dark room - just something to comfortably illuminate the screen.

The only reasons tablets need a very bright backlight is so that the screen can be seen in brightly-lit surroundings.
Use the HDX 2013 with white on black text at 50% brightness. Then compare it to the PW 2013 at zero or low screen light. There is no comparison. Try it yourself. The HDX 2013 is the best way to read that way in low ambient light conditions.

I challenge anyone in this forum who own both units to try that test and then post back here their opinion. If someone, who owns both units and is a good photographer, they could take pictures of both with a magnifying lens to point out the details of the font borders.

HDX fonts are shaped better for low light than PW fonts if one uses white on black formats. They are really quite different. One can see the differences for the same named fonts if one uses a magnifying glass to enhance the minute designs. The HDX font designs are smoother with greater contrast. The PW 2013 designs have rougher edges and are less clear in low ambient light conditions.

The fault may be the design of eInk membranes versus LCD pixels. That is why TV's do NOT use eInk but rather use LCD pixels. On the other hand, eInk is closest to paper which is better read in bright light.

Since I own and use BOTH units, I can judge the results. Those, who only own one of those two units, are NOT qualified to make that test.

On the other hand, the HD 2012 does NOT use the same font projection techniques as the HDX 2013. If one compares the PW 2013 to the HD 2012, then the PW 2013 would be better in low light conditions. I also own a HD 2012. However, the HDX 2013 beats both hands down in low ambient light.

In high ambient light conditions, the PW 2013 beats all models since the HDX 2013 does have slight glare and the HD 2012 has lots of glare.

For those, who read mostly in darkened rooms and only own a PW 2013, I invite you to order an HDX 2013 without a cover and run the test I outlined above. Amazon will accept it back within 30 days of purchase at no purchase cost to you. If you confirm my test results, then keep the unit and order a cover. If not, return it. You have nothing to lose but the one way shipping cost. If you decide to keep it, you will also get all the other benefits outlined in this forum.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote