Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you getting a Kindle Fire HDX?
Yes, I've already got mine! 10 18.87%
Yes, I've already ordered one! 4 7.55%
Yes, I am planning on buying one. 5 9.43%
No, I am not interested in the Kindle Fire HDX at all. 28 52.83%
I'm undecided at the moment. 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #46
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon loyalty is WIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
They apparently decided that they're going to try and out-Apple Apple and out-Samsung Samsung. Bad move IMO. This yearly introduction of new devices with new features (exclusive to the new device) are not going to generate customer loyalty.
Amazon customer loyalty is based on THOUSANDS of new products every month - not just eReaders. One can even search for a product never before produced at the Amazon site, and have a high probability of coming up with some great items. I do that all the time and buy new products I never knew even existed. Plus, for 80% of my purchases I receive delivery in 24 hours and can always return items I do not like for any reason within 30 days.

I had been using an old Grundig radio to receive foreign radio broadcasts. I searched by "foreign radio broadcasts" and came up with the Grace Mondo Internet radios and now receive broadcasts from all over the planet in any language I want CRYSTAL CLEAR. The shortwave used to be filled with static. I purchased six of those new radios.

Thus, the Kindle eReaders merely supplement their huge product line. They are a very small proportion of their total sales.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-26-2013 at 10:52 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
This may sound crazy but I prefer Kindle for iOs than Kindle for Android. I think that the iOs version is more elegant and smooth. More refined. I wish Amazon could make something like Nook for Android; that version is nice.
Me too! The iOS app is more advanced than the other apps, even better than the Fire's Kindle app IMO. The Android app is pathetic. It is just bare bones and way behind the apps for other OSes.
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon customer loyalty is based on THOUSANDS of new products every month - not just eReaders. One can even search for a product never before produced at the Amazon site, and have a high probability of coming up with some great items. I do that all the time and buy new products I never knew even existed. Plus, for 80% of my purchases I receive delivery in 24 hours and can always return items I do not like for any reason within 30 days.

I had been using an old Grundig radio to receive foreign radio broadcasts. I searched by "foreign radio broadcasts" and came up with the Grace Mondo Internet radios and now receive broadcasts from all over the planet in any language I want CRYSTAL CLEAR. The shortwave used to be filled with static. I purchased six of those new radios.

Thus, the Kindle eReaders merely supplement their huge product line. They are a very small proportion of their total sales.
You do realize that Amazon has very few products of their own. The kindles and Fires are pretty much it. Amazon is a retailer, like Walmart, Target, etc. They mostly sell other merchandise made by other companies. Amazon has a loyal following more because of good service, fast and reliable shipping, and great customer service.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #49
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Many if not most of the third party products are purchased by Amazon from the manufacturers and stocked in their own warehouses. That is how they can make 24 hour delivery.

Other products are shipped by the third party producers but even they have fast deliveries and Amazon will help to get them to take back unwanted products.

Warehouse shipments come with free delivery with Prime membership. 3rd party shippers may charge for deliveries.

The key advantage on all their products is that you do not have to share your credit card number with anyone but Amazon. Plus, none can reach you direct other than by going through Amazon email. Credit card security and being kept off email marketing lists is a great advantage.

Direct 3rd party shippers are all rated by the customers and one gets to select which ones to use.

The big advantage is the ability to search and buy at just one location thousands of products most of which have never been seen by the customers before buying.

Many folks go to the big box stores, look for items they like and then buy them from Amazon anyway. Amazon even supplies a smart phone app to scan products in brick and mortar stores and then compare to Amazon prices right at the spot. Those stores are being driven under by that practice and most refuse to match Amazon prices.

One feature I like with the HD 2012 and HDX 2013 is the ability to listen to songs on the radio and then instantly access the Amazon store via those devices, enter the pass code and buy the song right there if I like it. That beats marking down the name and artist and then shopping in Sam Goody's as I used to do 20 years ago while most of the songs were never even carried by Sam Goody. I do find that some very new songs are not in the Amazon catalog when I try it and that is where they can improve a bit.

When I hear about good books on TV or on the internet, I can immediately go to Amazon and get their price and number of pages. Then I enter all that into an excel spreadsheet and sort by pages / dollar. I always buy the most pages for the buck.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #50
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
I bought a HDX.. awesome screen and speed.. but very prioritized. I liked the feel, size and touch of the HDX...however I have the Nexus 7.2 as well with the exact screen resolution and ALMOST the same speed as the HDX (very, very slight, actually unnoticable speed difference) .. but with the Nexus 7.2 > I can do more without side loading etc.. that is a big pain in the neck.. The Nexus 7.2 is much more versatile without the restrictions of the Kindle/Amazon format/operating system.. so I returned the HDX..The HDX is a beautiful machine though, size and shape beat the Nexus 7.2.. no complaints other than the restrictions of the operating system..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #51
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me too! The iOS app is more advanced than the other apps, even better than the Fire's Kindle app IMO. The Android app is pathetic. It is just bare bones and way behind the apps for other OSes.
Reading kindle books on my phone has always been somewhat unpleasant. I thought it was just because it was a phone, but then I tried reading a kindle book on a nook hd+ and it was equally unpleasant no matter how I adjusted the font size or line spacing. For some reasoni just find the font for the android app to be ugly.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
This yearly introduction of new devices with new features (exclusive to the new device) are not going to generate customer loyalty.
Yep; where's Fire OS for HD owners?
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Reading kindle books on my phone has always been somewhat unpleasant. I thought it was just because it was a phone, but then I tried reading a kindle book on a nook hd+ and it was equally unpleasant no matter how I adjusted the font size or line spacing. For some reasoni just find the font for the android app to be ugly.
The Kindle android app is much to be desire. The Kindle Fire has more font choices but they took out the one I used on the Original Kindle Fire and replaced it with a bunch of serif fonts.

The Original Kindle Fire app is awesome! The HDX one not so much. I can embed fonts so that fixes one problem but no TOC on Mobi books which makes personal documents even more usesless on the HDX, No TOC, No Cover. I have a feeling Amazon is trying to businessify the Documents tab. The documents have icons for covers.

I guess the rumor about the HDX coming with a full office suite was not true.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-27-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep; where's Fire OS for HD owners?
You don't want it. Trust me on this!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #55
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Kindle android app is much to be desire. The Kindle Fire has more font choices but they took out the one I used on the Original Kindle Fire and replaced it with a bunch of serif fonts.

The Original Kindle Fire app is awesome! The HDX one not so much. I can embed fonts so that fixes one problem but no TOC on Mobi books which makes personal documents even more usesless on the HDX, No TOC, No Cover. I have a feeling Amazon is trying to businessify the Documents tab. The documents have icons for covers.

Hey Blossom, I've checked one of my Mobi books on my HDX and it displays the table of contents that is in the book. My kindle fire hd dosen't show the cover for personal document either, that was only in the original fire.

Also, I only place files with .docs or .pdfs in the documents folder all .mobi, .prc, or azw3 etc go in the books folder and the covers and TOC's show.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Rf
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Hey Blossom, I've checked one of my Mobi books on my HDX and it displays the table of contents that is in the book. My kindle fire hd dosen't show the cover for personal document either, that was only in the original fire.

Also, I only place files with .docs or .pdfs in the documents folder all .mobi, .prc, or azw3 etc go in the books folder and the covers and TOC's show.
Okay you must tell me how you make your books. None of mine show a TOC. What settings do you use in Calibre?

I put them in books too but mobi books for me do not show a TOC at all. Only AZW3 does.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-27-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #57
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=Blossom;2667475]Okay you must tell me how you make your books. None of mine show a TOC. What settings do you use in Calibre?[/QUOTE

The mobi books that come with a table of contents I don't have to do anything with. But mobi's that don't I generally convert to epub create a table of contents then convert back to mobi. But now I just convert to azw3 and use the TOC editor in Calibre that allows you to edit the TOC in azw3 and epub formats.

Also, in case you didn't know the three lines in the upper left corner will display a TOC that is just in the metadata. I notice that even though some books don't have a TOC page they have the TOC in the metadata, those can be seen from there.

Last edited by beckywc; 10-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Yea that area in metadata is blank on mobi books. Can you give me a title to look at? Maybe I can buy it and dissect it to figure out what is wrong.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #59
beckywc
Addict

Quote:
Yea that area in metadata is blank on mobi books. Can you give me a title to look at? Maybe I can buy it and dissect it to figure out what is wrong.
Noah (5th Street Series) by Elizabeth Reyes is mobi format and has a TOC.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #60
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:

The more you post the more it seems you regret buying the hdx. Does it have helvetica? That is the only font that matters to me.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote