Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Questions About the HDX Accessibilty Features

I currently have a 8.9" HD - which I use primarily for reading & watching movies. I run very few apps currently - the fonts/toolbars, etc on most apps are just too tiny for my old tired eyes - and there is no way on the HD to magnify them (that I know of) - so I find myself using a magnifying glass to read the labels on ES File Explorer - which I use a lot.

So I have pre-ordered the HDX 8.9" - and have some questions for those now using the 7" HDX - about the Accessibility Features. All information will be greatly appreciated.

1. How much reduction is there in screen glare in the HDX? Can you watch movies without having to continually re-adjust the tablet to avoid room light reflections?

2. Does the Screen Magnifier work with all apps? If you triple tap to read the labels on a task bar, are the buttons operable while magnified? In other words, is Screen Magnifier just for reading, or can you tap the control buttons and run the app while in Magnified mode?

3. Ditto for increasing font sizes -- is this only for the installed Kindle apps, or can you increase font sizes in installed apps from non-Amazon sources?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone willing to test the Accessibility features.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The HDX has a HUGE increase in Accessibility features. It even has a special User Guide which comes with the unit just on that subject. To get there one goes to Settings \ Accessibility.

Here are some of the features:

1. Screen reader - provides spoken feedback when you touch items on the screen.
2. Explore by touch - describes the item under your finger and provides additional navigational features.
3. Screen magnifier - provides gestures to magnify the screen.
4. Use large font sizes - for EVERYTHING on the Kindle (I use that one).
5. Closed Captioning - for videos
6. Convert stereo to mono
7. Accessibility User's Guide
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks sirmaru.

When using Screen Magnifier - is the screen still responsive to touch? Can you keep in on while using apps or navigating around the different menus? And does it work with non-Amazon apps?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Never tried most of those features

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Thanks sirmaru.

When using Screen Magnifier - is the screen still responsive to touch? Can you keep in on while using apps or navigating around the different menus? And does it work with non-Amazon apps?
I only have the Large Fonts enabled for all Kindle Menus - not apps or eBooks. I had tried one of those other features, Screen Reader, but got lost with it and had to do a reset by holding the on / off button for 60 seconds.

You will have to try and learn all those other features, yourself. It could take some time and may have a steep learning curve.

They also have a feature which enables braille users to run the HDX. Naturally, I have not tried that either.

The HDX 2013 has a Mayday feature where you tap Help / Connect. A 1.5" square window opens with a live Tech Support person on the other end within 10 seconds. He could guide you into all the features and can even draw lines on your unit and control it altogether if required.

I recommend you use Mayday to learn all the Accessibility features.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks sirmaru.

I could never get it work but I did try it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Hmmm ... doesn't sound promising ... I guess I'll just have to wait until mine arrives and learn to speak 'Mayday' ...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hmmm ... doesn't sound promising ... I guess I'll just have to wait until mine arrives and learn to speak 'Mayday' ...
If you figure it out let me know! Right now I am playing the replacement game.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote