Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
biff
biff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Pw2 Nexus 2 2013
Best Tablet for reading. Nexus 7 not cutting it.

I have a Kindle PW2 which I like a lot. It's great for novels and news. It's not so great for technical pdf's. I had bought some ebooks from O'Reilly which I have't read yet. I had planned to read them on my Nexus 7 2013 model which I bought specifically for reading these pdf's.

Previously I purchased an asus transformer infinity which was much larger but had a lcd screen that was easy on the eyes. Purchased the Nexus 7 because I thought it may have a similar screen. It doesn't and the screen on the Nexus 7 while clear, crisp and vibrant is very hard on my eyes.

I'd like to sell the nexus 7 and move on to something else. Something a bit more favorable to reading. It needs to be light and have a nice easy on the eyes screen or atleast as easy as possible for an lcd.

any ideas?
biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

If you find the Nexus 7 hard on your eyes then I don't think it will be any different with other tablets since all of them use LCD screens and the culprit I'm pretty sure is the LCD screen. The Nexus 7 is a really good tablet for PDFs among other things. The iPad mini is another great tablet.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
If you had said that the problem was the screen proportions then I would have suggested that you get an iPad mini. But if the problem is the LCD then what you need is an e-reader, not a tablet.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Take a look at Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2" Here's a review from MobileTechReview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ROA9Svrkw
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
If you find the Nexus 7 hard on your eyes then I don't think it will be any different with other tablets since all of them use LCD screens and the culprit I'm pretty sure is the LCD screen. The Nexus 7 is a really good tablet for PDFs among other things. The iPad mini is another great tablet.
Well the thing is when I had the Asus transformer infinity tablet it was actually really easy on the eyes. I had no problem reading on it but it was just so big and pretty heavy. So I got rid of it. I thought the nexus 7 being also built by asus would have a similar but smaller screen. Unfortunately it doesn't and it's very hard on my eyes.
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
If you had said that the problem was the screen proportions then I would have suggested that you get an iPad mini. But if the problem is the LCD then what you need is an e-reader, not a tablet.
Well I have found certain lcd screens to not cause issues. It's not a purely lcd problem, some lcd screens are better than others.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

Then it's impossible for us to know which tablet would be easy on your eyes. The best thing you could do is to go to a store and check the tablets. If you have the iPad mini in mind, go to your local Apple store and check it out, access Safari and read a couple of articles and such.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I like my iPad mini retina. When reading books, I dull the background a bit so it isn't so bright. I have no trouble then. Hope I'm understanding your problem.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Well I have found certain lcd screens to not cause issues. It's not a purely lcd problem, some lcd screens are better than others.
And the Nexus 7 (2013) has one of the best LCD screens currently. Perhaps the problem is that the dpi is too high and crisp for you? I haven't heard of that problem before, but the display of the N7 having much higher dpi than most tablets, that would be one of the differences.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have Nexus 7, Kindle HDX, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, and Kindle Keyboard. I have to say the Nexus is my least favorite to read on. Partly that the landscape aspect ratio is so bad due to the soft buttons taking up the bottom rows of the screen and partly because the very nice screen resolution makes all text very small and sharp. I have bad eyesight, and I can't get it adjusted to be a size/contrast/sharpness/font combination that works for me.
I don't have that same problem on the old KK, and very rarely on the Kindle HDX (only if I read for a whole evening). I don't read on the Samsung much, though I play games on it constantly, so I can't compare that.
I think this is a situation where everyone's mileage may vary, due to differences in vision and preference. Also for tablets the reader app will make a difference. The few times I read on the Samsung for an hour or so and it didn't bother me, I was using a different reader than I use on the Nexus... so.. who knows. Not very informative I'm afraid, too many variables.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The Asus Transformer Infinity seems to've had a very nice display:

10.1" WUXGA Full HD (1920 × 1200) LED Backlit screen with 10-finger multi-touch,
Super IPS+ display with 600 nits brightness

(from http://eee.asus.com//en/transformer-...specification/ )

It looks like the same or similar panel is used in:

- Asus VivoTab RT
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime

And ``Samsung has its own flavor of IPS in the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which is it calls Super PLS (Plane-Line Switching).'' (from http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ts-ips-display )
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote