Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Spiddlydot
Spiddlydot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Creating New Documents & Font Size

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I own an Imac, and have just purchased a Sony PRS-505.

I want to create a document I have, and want to format it as neatly as possible. I have read that I need to create a page size of 3.47 inches x 4.54 inches, however, what font size do I use?
I will (I guess) create it in PDF format.
(I have not received my Reader yet, so want to spend some time formatting my document in readiness for its arrival - it is my Grandfathers Diary of the 1st World War).
(I do not want to simply convert the document as I want to take special care of the formatting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Spiddlydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another option would be to format it as HTML with CSS and use html2lrrf to convert it to LRF. But PDF would work fine as long as the page size it set correctly. If you did the html2lrf route, you can experiment with different font sizes easily as html2rlf has an option to specify what font size you want as your base font size. If you were to go PDF, just make a test page with different font sizes till you find the size you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Sony Reader will accept RTF and Doc files. (Actually, it automatically converts doc to rtf).
So you could just load your document straight n and see how it looks.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Although a page presentation format, Adobe's PDF may be a viable option for you. RTF, DOC, and even Sony's own LRF formats all reflow text thus changing what is on each page. Also with RTF and DOC there is no ability to force a page break (such as the start of a new day.) Also there is no ability in RTF and DOC to create a Table of Contents.

You said, "I want to take special care of the formatting." I feel that the only way you can achieve your goal is through a PDF.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But if you create the LRF for small, then it'll be paginated as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
Spiddlydot
Spiddlydot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the tips.
Because the diary has lots of breaks, I want to try and keep entries to their own page, so that's why I assume PDF will be the best option, but to achieve this, I need to know what font size will be optimum, as 3.47 inches by 4.54 inches seems so small, and even a 9pt font size seems to take up a lot of room.
By the way, these are great forums, thanks for all your support.

Chris
Spiddlydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
jamh
jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony 505
I'm not sure if you've seen this. I found it very useful:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/174796/Cre...DFsReaderGuide
jamh is offline   Reply With Quote