Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Because Apple and Samsung both skimp on the specs and features of their media players, I'm ready to move on. As soon as Google doubles the storage of their Nexus phone, I'll consider getting one to replace my SGP4. At this point in time, I want my portable internet devices (4"~7") to have the latest OS; and that means Nexus.
That's just it. In order to lower the price and still enjoy a profit margin, manufacturers cut a lot of features on the players. More often than not, the screen is the first to suffer.

Back in the days the SGP4 was released, MSRP for the Nexus S was $450-500 iirc. Nowadays, we can get the latest Nexus smartphone (which is pretty much the Android flagship) for just $300-350. No doubt Google will try to lower prices even more if feasible since their goal is to get as many Android devices in people's hands for greater ad revenue. With phones already at that price, how many people would still be willing to buy a $250 dedicated media player, particularly one that wouldn't have as good support as the Nexus?

Apple's iPod Touch, for now, seems to be an exception. However, who knows how long that'll last.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #47
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Where can you get a $200 unlocked smartphone in the US with the same specs and feature set as a Galaxy Player 4 or 5?
We've been down this road before. (maybe not exactly identical specs, but certainly close enough to make a valid comparison)

You don't need an unlocked smartphone to get the same specs and feature set as a Galaxy Player. I paid $220 for my new Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. For all intents and purposes it is a SGP4/5.

Many stores are carrying prepaid Android smartphones that don't require a contract and don't need to be activated. The prices are within range of the regular SGP prices.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You don't need an unlocked smartphone to get the same specs and feature set as a Galaxy Player. I paid $220 for my new Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. For all intents and purposes it is a SGP4/5.
Where did you get it for that price? and was it new?
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #49
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
We've been down this road before. (maybe not exactly identical specs, but certainly close enough to make a valid comparison)

Many stores are carrying prepaid Android smartphones that don't require a contract and don't need to be activated. The prices are within range of the regular SGP prices.
what screen size?
what pixel density?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #50
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where did you get it for that price?
probably same place I got my cheap gem prospecting map
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #51
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
probably same place I got my cheap gem prospecting map
That was rare man.

Really rare!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Appears to be 'End of Life' for most mp3 players due to all the Smartphones. Now have to google how to get around carrier activation to be able to use as WIFI only device.
Bingo! I was just thinking about Samsung Galaxy Players to see if they had gotten realistic pricing/features yet, found this thread then meanwhile (not really reading the thread but leaving it open in a tab) I got to thinking well, I've just got this new nexus 4(16GB $350(IIRC this cheaper than what the SGP started at retail), c. 12GB available OOB) which can do everything a player would do(minus HDMI output and no uSD slot hence the 16GB version) get frequent OS updates, high res display(1280x7?? I've forgotten IPS panel), which as an added bonus is also my phone so why would I want a little dedicate mp3/vid player?

My answer was I don't any longer, and it's really something that I had been thinking for a while now given that smartphones(higher end ones at least) were just better suited than the purely dedicated devices. As a secondary benefit it eliminates an extra device to carry. Primary drawback in the n4's case are non-user replaceable batt, and no external storage option(well you could do USB OTG, and this is the most irritating, to me minus), and no HDMI out but in my case getting Android updates FAR outweighed those minuses.

The battery thing: well, I'm light on phone useage but with this one I have left it connected to cell almost constantly, do some voice(not hours of course but fair minutes), messaging(SMS/email), GPS usage(ingress, geocaching, GPS really sucks batt so I limit on time as much as possible, don't really need it for navigation, but I'd probably get a car charger if I was going to) and can mostly still get 2d use between charges. Also, left the backlight control to auto, which I used to manually adjust on older phones even when I replaced OEM batt with extended cap ones(dunno why, I just did). i.e. as a music/reader I could easily see the n4(or almost any other recent higher end smartphone w/a decent cap batt) being able to last at least 4-5d. Of course if you did video and/or alot of GP it would be MUCH shorter OTOH exactly how much video can you cram into 12GB? and as I mentioned frequent GPS use I'd presume mostly vehicle bound, so some sort of charger in vehicle.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #53
forsooth
tec montage

problem always with all eggs in 1 cellphone
watch movie in flight
use guide gps for cab, bus, train and on foot in strange city - no charger
browse, read email in lobby
listen music while eat

battery dead when call come
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #54
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
good questions
sounds pie in sky
too good to believe (like cheap gem prospect map)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #55
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
problem always with all eggs in 1 cellphone
watch movie in flight
use guide gps for cab, bus, train and on foot in strange city - no charger
browse, read email in lobby
listen music while eat

battery dead when call come
Well unless you're on a 13h flight(and plan to spend ALL of the time watching video) i still think that it'd survive the flight and day, however I just cannot watch video on itty bitty teeny tiny screens myself, so I don't which is why I at least implied the lack of some kind of hdmi port a "con".

(just in case, the $300 nexus 4 8GB and $350 16GB prices are from the play store, completely unlocked, no uSIM included, but I did the T-Mo $30/m plan w/essentially a free uSIM. Only 100m voice, but I primarily use voip ATM, unlimited messaging and data, well 5GB at their "4G". Thinking of having another uSIM shipped(possibly another n4 as well, swapping sims might not be practical) if it ever comes up that I need more talk minutes and put the 2nd phone/sim on a plan with more minutes...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #56
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Well unless you're on a 13h flight(and plan to spend ALL of the time watching video) i still think that it'd survive the flight and day, however I just cannot watch video on itty bitty teeny tiny screens myself, so I don't which is why I at least implied the lack of some kind of hdmi port a "con".
I think forsooth was just listing things that use more battery.
GPS does.
Video does.
Of cause talking on the phone does the most.

I would suggest that you have
1. a replaceable battery
2. or even better for convenience with charging, one of those secondary battery devices that you just plug your phone into on the go. Really convenient if your phone uses a USB plug for data and for charging.
The secondary types are as large or larger than the phone and are mostly battery so they will last a good while.

I have even used a car battery jump box. I have the larger truck kind. I keep them in all my craft and vehicles. It has a socket for a car charger to go into.
I have heard that some now days have a USB2 charging port. The next one I buy will have one of those.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #57
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
In the post that you replied to I mentioned that it was new. I bought it from a reputable seller on eBay. This wasn't a one-off deal, but an ebay store where stuff is clearanced out.

If anyone wants to go to a Brick & Mortar store, check out Walmart. They sell Samsung Galaxy SII prepaid for Straight Talk for $250. (One can buy a prepaid SIII for T-Mobile for $300..but that is significantly more than the SGP devices we're talking about)

Quote:
what screen size?
what pixel density?
How about you google that for yourself.

Quote:
good questions
sounds pie in sky
too good to believe (like cheap gem prospect map)
How old are you, 17?

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 04-13-2013 at 09:51 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #58
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:

How about you google that for yourself.

How old are you, 17?
You are really a sweet guy aren't you?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #59
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Let's play nice.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #60
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
For what it is worth, I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 3. 6. It cost me $100. New. I have seen a lot of different prices and ideas mentioned here, but none as cheap as this.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote