Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
peachmore
peachmore began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is kindle DX worth to buy?

Hi,This is my first thread and I'm new here.

I'm consider to buy eReader about 9.7" or >8" to read manga and textbook.After I did research since last year,I was interesting kindle DX but did not buy it.Today,I know it an old device and the newest come with touch screen or may be wacom screen.I have small amount money to buy.If it cost more than $300,I can't.I see kindle DX (manufacturer refurbished) in amazon store cost $245 so it's in my list.

Is it kindle DX worth to buy?
If not,may you recommend another device?

I heard rumor about the new kindle that it may release in July.Do I need to wait for the new one? or wait for the smaller cost(kindle DX) when the new release?
peachmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what format are the textbooks?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
peachmore

Most textbooks I used is pdf.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
The Kindle that is rumored is a lighted 6" one or a larger Kindle Fire (LCD screen). Obviously, rumors may not be true, but I haven't heard any rumors of a new Kindle DX. However, if Amazon is going to release a new product in July, it'll probably be announced in June, so you won't have to wait long to know the facts.

To be honest, considering Amazon's neglect of the Kindle DX, I doubt that they are going to release a new Kindle DX this year. Also consider that many people don't like the way the Kindle DX handles PDFs: is writing on the PDF, taking notes, flipping through it quickly, etc, important to you? I think it should be fine for manga though.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
I am also considering buying refurbished Kindle DX as the only other large format reader I can find on Amazon is Pocketbook 902 which seems to be about as dated and is more expensive.

The good thing about Kindle DX is that you can install Doukan distribution which will read just about everything including DJVUs (huge plus for me).

Also, from what I understand, you can install Doukan along with original OS, then you can dual boot of sorts depending on whether you want to read DRM books or not.

Even if you do not install Doukan, you can install other reading software besides the one that comes with Kindle.

About the only thing that is preventing me from buying Kindle is the lack of any external storage slot(SD or otherwise). With 3.3GB for internal user storage, it really should not matter though.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
cckanka
cckanka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4
If you want it for reading manga, that's definitely the reader you need. I do have a DX for that purpose, and it is wonderful. My manga PDFs are around 20 to 30 Mb each and the DX is able to open them quite fast.

Regarding textbooks, everything up to a A4 in size will be displayed ok; a book like Krugman's Macroeconomics will be squeezed and the font size may look too small. Also remember DX doesn't display colours.

I agree that the internal storage is not enough, but I think a DX really worths it, unless you can find another ebook with a display of that size.
cckanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
peachmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
The good thing about Kindle DX is that you can install Doukan distribution which will read just about everything including DJVUs (huge plus for me).

Also, from what I understand, you can install Doukan along with original OS, then you can dual boot of sorts depending on whether you want to read DRM books or not.

Even if you do not install Doukan, you can install other reading software besides the one that comes with Kindle.

About the only thing that is preventing me from buying Kindle is the lack of any external storage slot(SD or otherwise). With 3.3GB for internal user storage, it really should not matter though.
I know kindle DX has duokan so it useful for pdf and more but I heard that duokan2012 version for kindle DX is not avaiable.In my opinion,I love duokan concept.I can have it a dual OS.I can read azw, pdf, epub and much more.

But,My major problem is dictionary.I know kindle DX is non-touch screen so it is hard to use keyboard for dictionary use? or touch screen easier to use?

Last edited by peachmore; 05-25-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

I personally find a real keyboard much easier to type on than a touch screen keyboard. Sure, the e-reader keyboards are tiny, but they are not that tiny.

Also, call me old fashioned if you will, but I like touch-less screens with real keyboards better, as I feel touching screens with my greasy fingers is not a good idea.

Sure there are all kind of advances which keep the grease off, but still it is one more layer in obstructing my view.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
The other reason i find a DX good to use is, because there is a keyboard area, the device is much much easier to hold, than other tablets.
A little heavy perhaps, but it doesnt feel like i am going to crush the screen or touch it and change it, while holding.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
peachmore

Is it matter if I can not register kindle DX with my amazon account via device?
I found it had this problem but I don't know what issue I must be face it.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Begemot
Zealot

Just a heads up, but it seems Amazon has run out of refurbished Kindle DX!

Currently only the full $379 is shown.

At the same time all the used sellers have increased their prices from $240 to $279 as well since they do not have to compete with the refurbished ones.

Hopefully, Amazon decides to have another sale on DX some time soon similar to the Mother's Day $299 one.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you cannot register your device that is a sign that it might have been reported stolen or lost. Call Amazon and ask what is happening.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
peachmore

Thanks all for your help.
Since Amazon run out of kindle DX,so I bought it from 100% top-rate ebay seller,so I hope he will not report my kindle DX I bought from him to Amazon as stolen or lost.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They might not have known it was stolen. I would call Amazon and check. More often then not, the problem you are reporting indicates a unit that has been reported as stolen. I would get that info from Amazon and contact the seller. I know EBay has a decent policy on that type of thing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I believe you already bought the DX, but let me give you my opinion.

I mainly read computer or IT related books. For those, I need a big screen, so programming code won't cut off (6 inches screens are too small) These types of books are usually thick and heavy, over of 1k pages ? So I though a DX would be a good idea. Well ... I used it for a few months and while not too bad, it was a painful experience.

DXG shines or should shine with PDF documents but there are limitations :

-Lack of proper PDF support or features, like annotations
-Page turn is too slow, more than the regular Kindle
-Amazon has not provided firmware upgrades in more than a year, that's a bad sign for a device that in terms of technology, is an "old man" now.
-When reading technical books, jumping from one chapter or page to another one is a pain.
-Too expensive for what it really is, a eink device

For all those reasons, I sold it and buy an iPad instead. While not eink, allows annotations and bunch of others PDF features via GoodReader app. iPad also gives me color and it is close in price to Kindle DXG but with a big difference: I can do more than reading and way faster.

Now, with so many new eink devices and touch screens, I see the Kindle DXG as a Dinasour. So unless you really want a eink screen on that size and you don't mind spending the 300 plus on it, my advice is wait and/or buy a tablet instead.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote