Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
msenger
msenger began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How to import from calibre to another calibre library

I have access to my friens's Calibre library where all books are already with metadata and formatted for Calibre. If I just copy them into my CalibreLibrary folder, they are not, of course, added automatically into my Calibre database (and are reported as "extras" when checking the library). Do I need to import them manually (by using only the mobi or other book format) or can it be done in batch, automatically?

Thanks a lot,
Martin
msenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The best way is to make sure that you have a copy of his complete library folder including the metadata.db file. Then in Calibre you can use the Switch Library facility to switch across to his library and at that point select the books of interest, and use the Copy to Library facility to copy the books (including all meatadata and covers) into your library.

If you can only get the actual ebook files, then you should put them in a folder that is outside Calibre. You can then add the whole folder in a single go via the Calibre Add Books functionality. Since Calibre makes copies while adding, when you have completed the add you can clear the folder holding the books.

Yet another way to do is to make use of the new Calibre 'Watch Folder' functionality. If using this feature then any ebooks added to the 'watched' folder are automatically added into your Ca;ibre ;library.

The downside of these last two approaches is that they can only make use of metadata that is embedded in the ebook files, while the first one gets it directly from the calibre database in your friends library so is more likely to be complete and accurate.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
msenger
msenger began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Perfect reply, thanks a lot! I am going to use the first approach because I have my friend's metadata. I should have found myself I saw the "Switch library" but I have never tried it so I did not know that there is an option to copy between libraries (my shame). Tahnsk again.

Martin
msenger is offline   Reply With Quote