Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
zenrhino
zenrhino began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
[Old Thread] Linux Question: Library/DB/Server Only?

Is there any way to run Calibre under linux without any display options to only hold the library and run the server?

I have a small NAS with Debian installed on it. I'd like to move my library and metatadata.db over to the NAS and use that to serve out the books.

That would let me get my last server off of the OSX machine so I don't have to have it running all the time.

All the best,

FZR
zenrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
subscribed to this thread... i'll be interested to see the outcome!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can run the calibre server from the command line. See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...re-server.html and http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...n-linux-server. You can also set up the server to be behind another web server (reverse proxy). See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/server.html

There are alternate approaches that might work better in some situations, especially when the server isn't completely under your control. One is calibre2opds. Another that some use is dropbox. Another is my php server (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104188)

Last edited by chaley; 12-30-2010 at 10:18 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can also set it up to use xvfb instead of a full X11 install in order to use some features that require X11 (some conversion stuff).
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
zenrhino

Ach. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was looking in the wrong place in the docs and didn't see the command and params to get it going.

Have a great day,

ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can run the calibre server from the command line. See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...re-server.html and http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...n-linux-server. You can also set up the server to be behind another web server (reverse proxy). See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/server.html

There are alternate approaches that might work better in some situations, especially when the server isn't completely under your control. One is calibre2opds. Another that some use is dropbox. Another is my php server (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104188)
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
zenrhino

Ok, seems it wasn't quite THAT easy. =)

I'm running a fresh Debian Squeeze on an arm PogoPlug with an apt-get update that was done this morning so I know everything is up to date.

I got an apt-get install calibre installed, got my library copied over, and started with calibre-server --with-library /mountpointhere and got this:

Quote:
sudo /usr/bin/calibre-server --with-library /mnt/thumb/calibre_library/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre-server", line 18, in <module>
from calibre.library.server.main import main
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/library/server/main.py", line 12, in <module>
from calibre.library.server.base import LibraryServer
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/library/server/base.py", line 23, in <module>
from calibre.library.server.opds import OPDSServer
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/library/server/opds.py", line 15, in <module>
import routes
ImportError: No module named routes
Any idea where I'm going wrong?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Don't install calibre using apt. That method is unsuported. The only suported install method is using the binary installer from http://calibre-ebook.com Distro packages of calibre are usually horribly broken.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
Ok, seems it wasn't quite THAT easy. =)

I'm running a fresh Debian Squeeze on an arm PogoPlug with an apt-get update that was done this morning so I know everything is up to date.

I got an apt-get install calibre installed, got my library copied over, and started with calibre-server --with-library /mountpointhere and got this:

Any idea where I'm going wrong?
The first place is (probably) using the package made available by apt-get. The repo versions are almost always very old, often in the version 0.6 range, and sometimes don't work. There are often DB compatibility problems. Further, and more important perhaps, they aren't supported here.

Get calibre's latest binary release (0.7.35) and install that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
zenrhino

Ok, following the instructions on the download page, I got the package and untarred it.

When I ran the setup script, I got this:

Quote:
python setup.py install
Package poppler was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `poppler.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'poppler' found
Package poppler-qt4 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `poppler-qt4.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'poppler-qt4' found
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 13, in <module>
import setup.commands as commands
File "/opt/calibre/setup/commands.py", line 28, in <module>
from setup.translations import POT, GetTranslations, Translations, ISO639
File "/opt/calibre/setup/translations.py", line 14, in <module>
from setup.build_environment import pyqt
File "/opt/calibre/setup/build_environment.py", line 155, in <module>
popplerqt4_inc_dirs = poppler_inc_dirs + [poppler_inc_dirs[0]+'/qt4']
IndexError: list index out of range
Clearly, I'm missing a dependency, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks,

ZR
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the instructions you need to follow are for the binary install, not the source install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
zenrhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the instructions you need to follow are for the binary install, not the source install.
Will the binary installer work for an arm device? I see on the site that the installer is built for x86.

Thanks!

ZR
Old 12-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if you have an ARM device then you need to build from source. The list of dependencies is at the bottom of the linux install page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope this isn't too old a thread to resurrect.
I was wondering about the possibility of running the content server on my WD MBWE blue ring NAS. It's ARM/Linux based, but pretty underpowered, and I was thinking more along the lines of running the Content Server's functionality on the NAS's existing lighttpd server.
Can the Content Servers 'web app' be easily seperated from the built-in server?

Or, if it's more practical, does anyone know if the whole shebang can indeed run on the MBWE blue ring?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Due to the fast development cycle, information in old threads tend to get outdated pretty quickly. Next time, please just create a new thread if there is no active thread for your topic.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
To use the Calibre Content server you need most of the Calibre dependencies to be present. It could be quite a large job to get them all compiled up for the ARM architecture, and also there may well be RAM constraints that impact you at runtime.

You might want to look at using calibre2opds as an alternative approach. The catalog produced by calibre2opds should run fine under the built-in web server assuming you have enough space to store both the book files and the generated catalog, and it has no dependencies to worry about. You can look at this page to see an attempt to summarise the difference between the two different approaches.

There is also a PHP based content server around that can work with a Calibre library.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote