Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hoard ebooks for retirement?
Yes. I would have done (or do) so with paper books as well. 20 10.81%
Yes, but I would NOT have done so with paper books. 18 9.73%
No, not for retirement... but... uh... I hoard (e)books anyway. 113 61.08%
No, I don't hoard. Not ebooks, not paper books. 34 18.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Voyager books by Kirsten Beyer are really good. Better than the show ever was!

As for hoarding ebooks,well yes I do. It would be horrible to have nothing new to read!

Last edited by PurpleStar; 02-02-2014 at 08:07 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I want a written guaranty that I will not die until I've read the last ebook in my elibrary.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I want a written guaranty that I will not die until I've read the last ebook in my elibrary.
Or your money back!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am self employed. I will never get to retire. I just read every spare second I have. I also do not consider keeping books around so I can read them again hoarding. I like to read books more than once or twice even, just like some people like to watch movies or TV programs more than once.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
So, I "retired" in 2005, when I was 38. I've been "hoarding" ebooks since 2008, when I got my first Kindle. I'm still hoarding, and won't run out of ebooks before my natural life expectancy. It's all good.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I voted that I never did with paper, but that isn't true. At one time I had boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves. I eventually got rid if them and just forgot
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like the story of the rich man and his barn. I mean how do you know that you're going to live long enough (after retirement) to really do the things you plan to do? Charles Schultz retired and so did Tom Schnider (tv journalist) and both died shortly after they retired. Anyway for me it doesn't quite track as technically I am already retired due to disabilities so I don't really have to wait til I retire.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Some yrs back I bought a 'perpetual' calendar that is good til 2048. I asked the woman who ran the store if it came with a money back warranty if it outlived me. She said,'sure, but you have to come in to collect it yourself.'
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #24
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I like that retirement idea. Like Apache, I'm self-employed and won't see much of a retirement, but it provides a very nice rationalization for ebook hoarding anyway.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #25
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not going to rely on a long retirement. I lost two relatives a couple of years ago; one was 100, and one was 67. How can I possibly make a guess at how much retirement I'll have, if any?

If I'm totally honest, I buy more books because buying books is as much of a hobby as reading them. I even hang out on forums to chat about buying them.

I went a bit mad for a couple of years, and binged on freebies and bargains, but I'm glutted now, and only pick up things I actually want. I am still subject to sudden enthusiasms, which make me seek out and maybe buy lists of books, but I'm hoping I can make some progress on my last batch before it happens again.

The important thing is that I have enough choice to pick something to read next that suits my mood.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm not going to rely on a long retirement. I lost two relatives a couple of years ago; one was 100, and one was 67. How can I possibly make a guess at how much retirement I'll have, if any?

If I'm totally honest, I buy more books because buying books is as much of a hobby as reading them. I even hang out on forums to chat about buying them.
Same here. I currently have about 4500 books in my Calibre library, of which over 3000 are unread. Am I likely to be able to read them all? No. Do I care? No. Buying and collecting them is half the fun .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #27
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
PS: I wouldn't be hoarding any books if I was reading on paper only.
What? You like reading but your bookshelves are empty? I've been hoarding paper books for 60 years. eBooks for rather less!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
What? You like reading but your bookshelves are empty? I've been hoarding paper books for 60 years. eBooks for rather less!
You must live in a big house! The primary reason I switched to ebooks was that I'd reached the stage where every available wall surface in my house was covered in double-stacked bookshelves. eBooks are cheaper than a bigger house .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #29
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sure, eBooks are great! But you surely didn't throw your paper books away? That's no way to treat old friends!

Isn't the main reason for living in more than one room having space for lots of books?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Sure, eBooks are great! But you surely didn't throw your paper books away? That's no way to treat old friends!
Nope. Donated most of them to libraries. Now they're free to make many new friends.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote