Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #421
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Well. I think it's cool anyhow.

FWIW
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #422
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Thank you. I haven't done any (b)ash scripting in ages. This seemed like something easy enough to do.

As I'm sure you know, most of the people using USE_ALT_FONTS also want to get rid of the extra fonts that show up. Jailbreaking and fiddling around with usbnetwork is a lot of trouble just to accomplish that one thing.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #423
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

this is true. perhaps...

however one can never speak definitively for the hundreds of people using this project now. "You can second-guess some of the people all of the time... et cetera "

Just put "it out there" is my approach
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #424
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post

As I'm sure you know, most of the people using USE_ALT_FONTS also want to get rid of the extra fonts that show up. Jailbreaking and fiddling around with usbnetwork is a lot of trouble just to accomplish that one thing.
You got yourself at least one person who would quite like to do just that
I use USE_ALT_FONTS but not going to faff around to do the stuff needed to remove the extra fonts that I don't want (mostly because it all looks a tad complicated to me - I don't understand the usbnetwork thingy at all)

Edit: JB is nicely straightforward to do, plus it's needed for KUAL anyway

Last edited by Yolina; 02-20-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #425
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@Jimmy-Jim, hope i understand you correctly. jailbreak is not a prerequisite to use your script right?
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #426
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@Jimmy-Jim, hope i understand you correctly. jailbreak is not a prerequisite to use your script right?
The other way about.

The prerequisites ARE required to use the script via KUAL.
(since KUAL needs them)

The ALT_FONTS thingy (I think) doesn't a JB (If I recall correctly)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #427
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
The ALT_FONTS thingy (I think) doesn't a JB (If I recall correctly)
Correct
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #428
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Correct
YAY! And since I generally only manage that once a day.... I should give myself the rest of the day off
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #429
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You got yourself at least one person who would quite like to do just that
I use USE_ALT_FONTS but not going to faff around to do the stuff needed to remove the extra fonts that I don't want (mostly because it all looks a tad complicated to me - I don't understand the usbnetwork thingy at all)
If you're already using KUAL, then go to this post, download the attached zip and drag the hideFonts folder from the zip over to extensions on the PW.

Launch KUAL, select "Hide Fonts" and restart. You can edit the fonts.txt file if you don't want to hide all the extra fonts. Use a Unix friendly editor...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #430
Yolina
Wizard

Thanks, font list much neater now

Quote:
You can edit the fonts.txt file if you don't want to hide all the extra fonts.Use a Unix friendly editor...
Any recommendation for a suitable editor?

Edit: found notepad++ which does the trick

Last edited by Yolina; 02-21-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #431
twobob

Quote:

Edit: found notepad++ which does the trick
Good call. I use that via Wine

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html is also a winner
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #432
twobob

Quote:
I've changed the title of this from "Hide Fonts" to Font Config. It now includes two buttons:
  • Hide Fonts - Creates a configuration file to hide the fonts found in the user-edited text file "fonts.txt"
  • Restore Fonts - Removes the configuration file with an addition- see below.
When Restore fonts is executed, it also writes another configuration which allows one to use /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf. You can place your own configuration file- like the one found here- in the same location as your custom fonts (USE_ALT_FONTS method). Ensure you name the file alternate.conf and not local.conf.
Thanks to DuckieTigger for discovering this.

You can also add other customizations, but I'm not sure what and what doesn't work on the Kindle.

Instructions:
Previous users of Hide Fonts, first remove the hideFonts folder from your Kindle: extensions/hideFonts

Download the attached zip, drag the fontConfig folder to extensions.

The file fontConfig/fontlist/fonts.txt includes all the extra fonts that appear when USE_ALT_FONTS is applied. This list can be edited with any Unix-friendly editor such as Notepad++.

Launch KUAL and select "Hide Fonts". A restart is necessary.

If you want to restore the hidden fonts, select "Restore Fonts". Also, you can use this button to enable the alternate.conf file as explained above.
Indexed. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=9

Much obliged.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #433
twobob

Indexed the rotation thingy for Touch / Paperwhite too

Will update the relevant indexes after some sleep...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #434
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Thanks for adding that to the index.

I have only have the K3 and PW. Not sure if it will work on the Touch but my guess is yes?

Actually, I gave the K3 to my mother and don't really have access to it. I could borrow it but probably won't. Would it even be useful on the K3?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #435
twobob

Quote:
Thanks for adding that to the index.

I have only have the K3 and PW. Not sure if it will work on the Touch but my guess is yes?

Actually, I gave the K3 to my mother and don't really have access to it. I could borrow it but probably won't. Would it even be useful on the K3?
I'll give it a proper test tomorrow (err today lol) on a few devices... K3, Touch, etc... I have no 4 right now... working on that...
I really haven't messed with the fonts on mine since err... well a long time, months... so I'm a bit rusty in the head.

Will update the notes and the main indexes when it is all checked as working 100%

: )

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified