Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
AndreKR
AndreKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Why do I own a Kindle 3?

Hi,

I was experimenting with firmware update files (Screensaver, Savory) but they all failed (error 0003 when doing update from reset).

I noticed that all the Kindle 2 update bins have 02 at offset 0C which ought to be the "device code", i.e. the 3rd and 4th digit of the serial number. However, my serial number has ..03... in it and I suppose this is why the updates fail.

I also noticed that all the Kindle DX update bins have 04 as device code, so what is this, a Kindle 3? Perhaps because it is the international version?

Regards,
André
AndreKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKR View Post
I also noticed that all the Kindle DX update bins have 04 as device code, so what is this, a Kindle 3? Perhaps because it is the international version?
Yes. The Kindle 2 International has a serial number starting with B003, and the Kindle DX start with B004.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. The Kindle 2 International has a serial number starting with B003, and the Kindle DX start with B004.
I guess it is time to update the KindlePID script
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote