Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
FranSmith
FranSmith began at the beginning.

Device: IPod touch 4g
problem with metadata

ok here is my puzzle on my laptop running windows xp (32 bit) service pack 3 calibre in it's newest version 0.7.40 works like a charm just as it always has.
on my desktop windows xp 64 bit version service pack 3 it runs just fine but will not fetch metadata. I have worked with it on the desktop and the only way I can get it to work is to disable windows firewall (not an option) so I know that there is a problem with windows firewall but I have no clue what to do about it, I tried resetting the firewall to the defaults still no help the thing that puzzles me most is that it used to work just fine. I would be willing to change firewalls or what ever it takes to fix this
FranSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If want to change firewalls, try ZoneAlarm's free firewall. I've been using it for years and love it. It's a bit of a pain at first because you will get frequent popups everytime a program tries to "phone home" but as you "train" it (each popup gives you the choice to allow, block, permanently allow, or permanently block) the number of popups will go down. Make sure you download the free firewall. You don't need the paid version and the Security Suite stinks.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
FranSmith

I will give it a try thank you and let you know if it works
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
FranSmith

says it won't work with my version of windows I am running windows xp 64 bit any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranSmith View Post
I have worked with it on the desktop and the only way I can get it to work is to disable windows firewall (not an option) so I know that there is a problem with windows firewall but I have no clue what to do about it, I tried resetting the firewall to the defaults still no help the thing that puzzles me most is that it used to work just fine.
If it works with no firewall then setting and exception for calibre should work. Have you tried setting an exception for calibre in the firewall?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Do you have a home network? Nearly all modern routers have built-in hardware NAT firewalls, making firewalls on individual machines (that are behind such a router) redundant.

Note: FIREWALL...not antivirus.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Do you have a home network? Nearly all modern routers have built-in hardware NAT firewalls, making firewalls on individual machines (that are behind such a router) redundant.

Note: FIREWALL...not antivirus.
Not 100% redundent.
If one system manages to get infected, your clean side is now dirty.

But for the most part, if your WiFi is well locked down (to prevent stray users on the clean side), Software FW mostly consume resources.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Software FW mostly consume resources.
My point exactly.

As for infection behind the router, that's why I made sure to be clear that I was speaking of firewalls, not antivirus. Antivirus is never redundant, and should always be used. Window firewall, however (or any other software-based firewall), can safely be turned off, if one is using a NAT-enabled router.

Most are, these days.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Personally, I use the firewall on my computer to restrict outgoing traffic. I realize that malicious programs will be able to circumvent that, but for programs wanting to phone home, it works well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
My point exactly.

As for infection behind the router, that's why I made sure to be clear that I was speaking of firewalls, not antivirus. Antivirus is never redundant, and should always be used. Window firewall, however (or any other software-based firewall), can safely be turned off, if one is using a NAT-enabled router.

Most are, these days.
I don't agree.

I always have a firewall on each machine of my home network. I cannot guarantee that one of my users (family) won't do something silly and bring malware behind the NAT firewall. Why make it easier for the scumware to hit up the other computers?

This is the reason that IT people in business run multi-level firewalls. At the university I was at, the IT folks wanted per-machine firewalls, per-segment firewalls, and per-university firewalls. I did the same thing whenever I was managing a company's network (something I did for fun, usually). The reasoning is the same as above: all it takes is one slip by one user, and the NAT firewall is useless.

As for resources, the vast majority of AV scans are useless, wasting resources. In a year, I have had one hit, and that was for a file so suspicious that I wouldn't have used it anyway. By that logic, the AV is also a waste of resources.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
FranSmith

thank you all for all the suggestions. first the problem is not the router if it were then neither computer would be able to get the data, and yes I set an exception in the firewall no luck I tried removing it and resetting the firewall to default settings and when it tried calibre tried to access the network again the firewall didn't alert me so I tried disabling it and and things worked just fine. I found another free firewall that worked on my 64 bit system installed it and made sure that windows' firewall was disabled wen t to get metadata the firewall alerted me i set the exceptions and nothing worked again I have no clue what the problem is. I have been a computer tech since the dark ages and don't usually let computers win but i am stumped
Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Don't take this the wrong way, but please, try to use interpunctuation. Trying to read that just made my head hurt.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Personally, I use the firewall on my computer to restrict outgoing traffic. I realize that malicious programs will be able to circumvent that, but for programs wanting to phone home, it works well.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
FranSmith

Sorry about punctuation I am not perfect never claimed to be I just posted b4 coffee. A dangerous thing to do when age ADHD and dyslexia are in the mix
Old 01-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranSmith View Post
Sorry about punctuation I am not perfect never claimed to be I just posted b4 coffee. A dangerous thing to do when age ADHD and dyslexia are in the mix
Welcome to the club!