Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Do Kindle Readers Hate Books?

I'm posting this link here, rather than the Kindle forums because you could easily replace Kindle with the name of any other reader - it's an interview with some-one who didn't originally "get" ebooks and readers, and now does.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29265336...5829?GT1=40006
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That is the worst interviewer. Ever.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The interviewer sounded almost annoyed with the interviewee. Baffling.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I did rather admire the interviewee for managing some relatively coherent answers in the face of that!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After reading this question....

Quote:
That kind of eliminates my last question: How do you loan books to your loser friend who will never ever return them?
I think the interviewer should be fired for slandering the interviewees friends.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
OMG-I was reading this and was suddenly reminded of a conversation I had with a few people.I had recently purchased my PRS700BC,and another person was going on (and on and on) about a new netbook she had just ordered for herself.I mentioned the reader ,in passing,she inquired,so I told her what it was-even suggested she go to the site and look.And then she says to me,well why don't you just buy a book ! And that set off an entire conversation (that some others participated in,including one person who seems to hate anything that seems to indicate people have "frivolous hobbies")-and she suggested why not just borrow from a library.She then mentioned she participates in a book swap at work (except she does NOT put books in,so how exactly is that swapping).The woman who had just purchased a netbook,works from home,and said she was buying the netbook so she could keep up with things while she was away (not only does she work from home,but she rarely goes anywhere..AND has a blackberry..and again goes just about no where).

I love my reader,I love being able to borrow ebooks from the library as well-and NOT carrying three or four books at once.As for buying books in duplicate-there are some books I do suggest that friends read,but unless I already own a hard copy of it,I certainly would not buy both formats (as it is,I tend to do a cost analysis of books I want,since the ebook price is not always less than buying a hard copy,with all the retailer discounts that may or may not apply -ie b&n and borders discounts most frequently).

I do think the woman being interviewed did relatively well ,in light of the questions.

And couldn't you argue,anyone willing to make that kind of investment in a device,couldn't possibly hate books...*S* maybe they just need to lighten their load a bit from carrying multiple books all the time.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Have you seen the latest poll results associated with the article?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Ebook readers - changing our definition of what a book is!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
That was my impression too. It appears he just can't understand how somebody who loves books, can also love an electronic book reader (and thus, electronic books...) It looks like me he is one of those people that think electronic books will completely do away with paper books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Mwah, I didn't think it was that bad. Yes she started of with some prepared killer-questions. Coming in with a bang, that kind of things, but she lightened up afterwards.
I found it a rather amusing interview and a good promotion for e-reading.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
The interviewer, in the article:

Quote:
If the new Kindle had its corners cut off like everything square or rectangular on “Battlestar Galactica,” I would totally drop $400 on it … in a minute … because that would be awesome!
That's right, she'd spend $400 on a kindle if it looked like a prop from a tv series she likes, but the fact that it's totally cool for reading on it totally irrelevant.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:09 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Isn't this sort of antagonistic journalism a throwback to the 90s, possibly even the 80s? I remember magazine format TV show where every interviewer sounded like they were about to start a fist fight with the interviewee.
60 minutes has practiced this sort of journalism in some of their segments since its inception in 1968.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
"Sarah Lally Brown is a voracious reader (you can tell by the glasses) who loves both coporeal books and her Kindle e-reader."

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote