Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Coolreader and FBreader Bugs and Wishlist

As we have threads about PDFReader I think a thread about Coolreader and FBreader bug reports and wishlist is needed too. Firmware updates thread are long and this is related to i62HD and M92
So, in no specific order we have:

A.-Coolreader

1.-Fonts
(Same bugs in both CR and Fbreader)

1a)Unable to switch to external fonts located in the folder "Fonts" either in the internal user memory partition or external microSD card.
Fonts can only be added to the hidden system partition.
Unofficial Workaround: you can use OTFM to move fonts, but it isn't the desirable way to add fonts and you can broke things with OTFM!!
Official fix: none

1b) It's limited the number of fonts (I think the maximum number is 25).
Unofficial Workaround: none

1c) Problems in accent characters (á, ê, ï, ù ...) or others special characters in some font families
(strictly is a font issue not a CR/FBR issue)
Unofficial Workaround: don't use those fonts and use others that doesn't have the problem (Bitstream, Dejavu ...) or even delete them with OTFM

2.- Hyphenation:
2a) Bad Hyphenation: Hypenation in CR is "tied" to a specific hyphenation file: "Russian_EnUS_hyphen_ (Alan). Pdb"
Any book open in another language does not show a correct hyphenation.
Moreover, there is no way to choose Pdb file for the preferred language of reading.
Unofficial Workaround: Rename your language hyphen file to
"Russian_EnUS_hyphen_ (Alan). Pdb" with OTFM in the hidden system partition
(user rfog talk about that in this forum some months ago and no improvement done in official firmware)
or edit CR3.ini file

IMO users should have the option to choose their hypen file and/or CR should choose automatically the right language hypen file according to the document language.
(It's what FBReader do with usr\share\onyx_reader\zlibrary\hyphenationPatterns .zip)

2b) User would also be able to switch on/off hypen
Unofficial Workaround: edit cr3.ini as stated by pkobo
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...43&postcount=7
(but user shouldn't´t meddle with config files editing, this is a ereader not a sysadmin tool simulator!)

More info about hyphen unofficial workaround by Rfog
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187946
other by rfog (but in Spanish)
http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...-en-CoolReader
More info by Tuxor (Thanks Mono for talking about that)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=5

3.-Dictionaries lookup problems
Dictionary lookup doesn't always work as it should in CR.
(as user yayo reported in i62 firmware updates thread)
When you double tap on a word to open the dictionary lookup sometimes what happens is that you just turn the page or that you turn the page AND open the dictionary. And the highlight isn't precise, the darker area doesn't just encompass the tapped word but it extends upward, so that it almost touches the word above the one you mean to highlight/lookup in the dict.
Dictionaries in CR work much worse than in FBReader or PDFReader.
Unofficial Workaround: none (apart from using FBReader or PDFReader of course)
Official fix: some improvement in firmware from April 2013

4.-CR in our Boox is an "old" release.
It's release 3.0.51-28 (October 2011 in Coolreader download web) while I have seen 3.0.57-15 (may 2012) in an unofficial firmware for Jinke Hanlin V3
(and 3.1 in Android but I'm not sure if 3.1 releases are available for Linux non-Android).
I suppose some CR3 bugs should be patched in current releases and perhaps a few features added.
Of course I'm talking about CR3 for Linux not CR3 for Android.
Why can't Onyx (or its distributors) update CR3 to newer releases of CR3 for Linux? Perhaps is there any problem with Boox SDK and newer CR doesn't compile?
Unofficial Workaround: none (unless somebody install Onyx SDK and compile it)

5.- It does not updates the "Recent documents" and "Recent reading" lists.
Unofficial Workaround: none (apart from using FBReader or PDFReader of course)
Official fix: fixed in April 2013 release

6.- CSS bug in EPUB

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2011208
(thanks to Mono and Tuxor)
Unofficial Workaround: Copying epub.css file from the repository as stated in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...08&postcount=2
Official fix: 1.8 firmware uses the same epub.css that Tuxor recommended, but it isn't perfect

7.- Bookmarks percentage bug
(thanks pkobo)
CoolReader shows strange numbers in the bookmarks list, for instance "1090" when current book has 540 pages only. This confuses users. Actually this is percent and should be displayed as 10.90%
To fix it, onyx devs should replace their code:
Code:
        int pos = list[i]->getPercent();
        QString str(tr("%1"));
        str = str.arg(pos);
        QStandardItem *page = new QStandardItem(str);
with:
Code:
QStandardItem *page = new QStandardItem(crpercent(list[i]->getPercent()));
in the src/cr3/cr3_onyx/src/mainwindow.cpp

B.-FBReader

1.-Images in ePub
Not shown images in ePub, mainly cover book images.
Unofficial Workaround: none (apart from using CR or PDFReader of course)

2.-New FBReader releases
As in CR our FBreader release is old (It has been said here that is 0.10.3 from 2009!! If that is correct there is an stable release 0.12.10 from 2010). I know that FBreader for Linux development was stalled for two years and only updated Android versions were released. But since july 2012 we have the new beta branch 0.99 for Linux (not-Android) and last update is 0.99.4 from November 2012.
Has anyone in Onyx (or its distributors) checked how new FBReader works in our ereaders? I know is a beta release but 0.10.3 or 0.12.10 doesn't seems to be a 1.0 release either isn't it?
Unofficial Workaround: none (unless somebody install Onyx SDK and compile it)

3.-Fonts problems
See Coolreader section as both have same behavior with fonts.

C.-OTHER/WHISLIST

1.-While not strictly a CR o FBReader issue I want to add to whislist is option to choose engine for MOBI, RTF, TXT, just the same way we can do in EPUB.
Yes I know can be done with OTFM.

2.-Wish: more options including quotation and more highlight options, options to disable included CSS styles in EPUB (as CR for Android do), ....

3.-Zoom options to images in CR

D.-COMIC READING BUGS
1.-It doesn't save the last page opened with cbz files
(thanks luki)

2.- Cbr/cbz must be browsed using the keys on the left side.
It would be better allow use the M92 joystick to turn page like can be done with all the other formats.
(Thanks underscore)

E.-DJVU BUG
1.-Some DJVU doesn't open again, but them can be openbed if remaned or moved
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=41
(thanks edmon)

Of course I will be grateful if you contribute bugs, solutions and wishes.

Last edited by Manolo; 05-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

(placeholder for updates and thanks)
-First Release: 2013-01-15
-Update 1: 2013-01-15
--Added unofficial workaround and official fix sections (of course official fix is always none, but I hope this could be fixed)
--Divided fonts and hypen bugs in two sections: font is now external fonts and maximun numbre and htypen is now bad hypen and switch on/off
--Added pkobo post (cr3.ini for hypen)
--Added link to a Spanish forum posy by rfog about hypen
--Added by yayo (better explanation of dictionary bug)
--Added by pooh_ (non updated recent documents)
(...)
-Update 2: 2013-01-29

--Added CSS bug and links by Mono and tuxor
--Added Comic an Djvu bugs by luki and edmon

-Update 3:2013-01-30
--Added bookmarks percentage bug reported by pkobo, that also propose the solution (but source code must be edited and recompled)

-Update 4:2013-04-03
--Added link to Russian/Chinesse firmware with new dictionary app (only that app not the full firmware)

-Update 5:2013-04-05
Added wish to use M92 joystick in CBR/CBZ (thanks underscore).

-Update 6:2013-05-05
Added improvemnt in dictionary in last April 2013 firmware

--Update 7:2013-05-06
Added fixed recent documents list in 2013-04 firmware
Added that current epub.css is the same that Tuxor recommended
Added wish of a zoom image option in CR

--Update 8:2013-05-06
Added problems with accented characters in some fonts families (both CR and Fbr)

--Update 9:2013-05-06
Edited wishlist to include option to disable CSS as CR for Android does.

Thanks to those that reported bugs in the firmware thread as fraylocus or yayo and to those that found unofficial solutions, as rfog for the hypen (based in Jotas and Solticio work for Jinke Hanlin V3) and of course to Dmitry Shkarin for its OTFM.
And to the contributors to this thread!

Last edited by Manolo; 05-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
Unable to switch to external fonts located in the folder "Fonts" either in the internal user memory partition or external microSD card.
This seems to be already fixed in the sources so I assume it will be in the next FW update.
Quote:
And you are limited in number (I think 25)
I guess this limitation comes from menu design and it is not easy to fix.
Quote:
Why can't Onyx (or its distributors) update CR3 to newer releases of CR3 for Linux? Perhaps is there any problem with Boox SDK and newer CR doesn't compile?
There should be no problems with compilation. I guess onyx just doesn't have enough resources to accomplish all the tasks they have.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Totally agree with the list of bugs reported by the partner Manolo.

For the most are old and have been reported in various threads of this Forum and other discussion where Onyx products, as lectoreselectronicos.com

Only lack the technical staff of Onyx deign meet our requests.

The bug of the separation of words would have been very easy to fix adding lines of code written by RFoG and published in this forum.
With this simple solution, prevails hyphenation code we copy in the path: \ cr3 \ hyph internal memory of the reader.
But nothing has been done, from which it follows lack of interest.
The work has focused exclusively on the PDFReader, which also needs to improve its management of epub.
It is time for the other engines are cared reading.
The wide clientele Onyx readers need and demand.

greetings
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Pooh_
Enthusiast
Pooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with others

Device: Onyx Boox I62HD, Onyx T68
One more Coolreader's bug: it does not updates the "Recent documents" and "Recent reading" lists.
Pooh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

An interesting feature, for FBReader CoolReader and would be a switch hyphenation, to display the internal styles of books in. Epub.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fraylocus I'm not sure I've got your idea correctly. There is setting in the cr3.ini file that controls if CoolReader should display styles embedded in the epub:
Code:
crengine.doc.embedded.styles.enabled=0
There is no gui setting for it in the onyx version but you can edit the ini file. It is disabled in the above sample. You need to set it to 1 in order to enable. Regarding hyphenation - to turn hyphenation off you need to add (modify) in the cr3.in file the 'crengine.hyphenation.directory' property like below:
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=@none
To turn on algorithmic hyphenation the property should look like:
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=@algorithm
To use spanish hyphenation dictionary you should set it to
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=Spanish_hyphen_(Alan).pdb
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
fraylocus
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
fraylocus I'm not sure I've got your idea correctly. There is setting in the cr3.ini file that controls if CoolReader should display styles embedded in the epub:
Code:
crengine.doc.embedded.styles.enabled=0
There is no gui setting for it in the onyx version but you can edit the ini file. It is disabled in the above sample. You need to set it to 1 in order to enable. Regarding hyphenation - to turn hyphenation off you need to add (modify) in the cr3.in file the 'crengine.hyphenation.directory' property like below:
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=@none
To turn on algorithmic hyphenation the property should look like:
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=@algorithm
To use spanish hyphenation dictionary you should set it to
Code:
crengine.hyphenation.directory=Spanish_hyphen_(Alan).pdb
It would have to check what you said.

But anyway, the normal user must read only provide a simple and accessible interface rather than proposing a code tangling.
And that is the manufacturer & distributor work.

A greeting.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
pkbo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
...provide a simple and accessible interface rather than proposing a code tangling. And that is the manufacturer & distributor work.
Sure, I agree.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
fraylocus
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_ View Post
One more Coolreader's bug: it does not updates the "Recent documents" and "Recent reading" lists.
In addition, displays captions with internal metadata, but is set to not remove
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:

3.-Dictionaries lookup problems
Dictionary lookup doesn't always work as it should in CR.
(as user yayo reported in i62 firmware updates thread)
Dictionaries in CR works much worse than in FBReader or PDFReader.
When you double tap on a word to open the dictionary lookup sometimes what happens is that you just turn the page or that you turn the page AND open the dictionary. And the highlight isn't precise, the darker area doesn't just encompass the tapped word but it extends upward, so that it almost touches the word above the one you mean to highlight/lookup in the dict.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Create an option, like on the tablet version, to turn off hyphenation. Ther-
e is nothi-
ng more ann-
oying than having te-
n hyphenated lines on every page.

I will be overjoyed when this update comes out!

I love my Onyx Boox M92.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I would like to have highlighting and highlight export.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Manolo
Addict

Thanks
-Update 1: 2013-01-15
--Added unofficial workaround and official fix sections (of course official fix is always none, but I hope this could be fixed)
--Divided fonts and hypen bugs in two sections: font is now external fonts and maximun numbre and htypen is now bad hypen and switch on/off
-Added pkobo post (cr3.ini for hypen)
--Added by yayo (better explanation of dictionary bug)
--Aded by pooh_ (non updated recent documents)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #15
Manolo
Addict

update:
More info about hypen unofficial workaround by Rfog
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187946
other by rfog (but in Spanish)
http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...-en-CoolReader

Tags
bugs, coolreader, fbreader, onyx boox, whislist