Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
those sound like the same problems people were having in the xna thread, try using Titanium Backup to change the google apps into system apps if they aren't already(not sure if ptsenter had them copied into the system app folder or not)...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
have you tried syncing from preferences for the market? also have you tried the e-ink apps?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
Thanks for your work!
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
have you tried syncing from preferences for the market? also have you tried the e-ink apps?
Uhm, what does that mean? I have it installed on top of a freshly rooted, freshly updated Ermine beta. I'd be happy to check anything that can be described to me.

The YouTube application works great. Nothing has crashed or borked. I don't need Gmail on ANOTHER device, so I'll let somebody else test that one.

Market starts, takes username/password, tries to connect for a long time, and then says it's unreachable and that I might want to get data provisioning. I have a USB stick modem on Verizon - wonder if I could fake it out with that?

Ereader side still works - can advance and make text selection.

Car Home starts, stalls on waiting for location. I have a Bluetooth GPS. Wonder if THAT will work with it? Don't know if I could actually see this in the car anyway. Navigation, Maps also want location.

Google Speak works - understood the phrase "find an arrow"

What else can I check?
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskalleon View Post
Uhm, what does that mean? I have it installed on top of a freshly rooted, freshly updated Ermine beta. I'd be happy to check anything that can be described to me.

The YouTube application works great. Nothing has crashed or borked. I don't need Gmail on ANOTHER device, so I'll let somebody else test that one.

Market starts, takes username/password, tries to connect for a long time, and then says it's unreachable and that I might want to get data provisioning. I have a USB stick modem on Verizon - wonder if I could fake it out with that?

Car Home starts, stalls on waiting for location. I have a Bluetooth GPS. Wonder if THAT will work with it? Don't know if I could actually see this in the car anyway. Navigation, Maps also want location.

What else can I check?
you wont fake it out... This same error occurred when I and others tried to install the gapps on the old xda thread, it seems to always be missing something that requires you to use backed up apps from another device...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboytd View Post
I tried the update on a clean 1.6 system. The system seemed to update just fine. Added a lot of the Gapps as well as some HTC apps from the CyanogenMod. The system would allow me to add a gmail account now but would never connect to the Google servers. This problem has happened with other attempts to add the Gapps to the eDGe. I tried the youtube fix and that did allow me to add a gmail account to my system but the market app and gmail app crashed when opened. I ran the golden update and reset the system.

I will work with it more and see what I can come up with. I do have to say to many phone apps in this build.
Thanks for giving it a shot
As I asked already: if any app, which are unique to eDGe, got broken?
If not we can proceed reasonably safely.
I see you successfully backed up - that a very good sign.
If too many apps that's not a problem - I'll remove extras. Especially, if you can point out which of them specific to HTC and/or phone - I don't have any Android phone to compare. BTW, the device recognized by Windows as HTC Dream. So, it's not too far.
Now, it would be extremely useful if you can get logcat for failed attempt to connect to gmail or market. Thanks.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:

What else can I check?
Wow, gee, so many brave souls, thanks
Finally some good news regarding ereader. That was my biggest concern.
Now, let's take it slowly: USB modems never been reported to work on Ermine. I suggest to leave it for later - at this point it just waste of time.

Bluetooth GPS has been claimed to be working - it's worth to try. Check archive on how to install GPS.
Now, can you get me logcat while trying Market? That would be of great help. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #23
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
jmgazer in my notion ink usually I have to clear the dalvik cache to get the market working after an upgrade in recovery mode. I have no idea of how to do this on Edge.
Do you ever sleep?
How do you clear Dalvik cache in Notion? I'll see if I can reproduce that in PE.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #24
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Now, can you get me logcat while trying Market? That would be of great help. Thanks again.
Sure, but I've only been an Android user since yesterday. Anybody have a pointer as to how that's done?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #25
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Sure, but I've only been an Android user since yesterday. Anybody have a pointer as to how that's done?
http://developer.android.com/index.html

First, download and install Android SDK.
Second, enable USB debug on your device.
Third, connect EP to your computer, go to Device Manager->Disk Drives->delete all Linux devices->hit Action->Scan. It should find new devices and install, among others, ADB interface.
Forth, without disconnecting, run app in question, e.g., Market.
Fifth, after it failed, open DOS box, navigate to where you installed SDK, android-sdk, platform-tools:
adb devices - you should see your device like 0123456789ABCDEF
adb logcat - it will write a lot of lines in DOS box, copy all of them to this thread or send me PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #26
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
What did you have to do to make the update? Was there any signing or anything else special required? I tried cooking one but couldn't get the recovery to flash it.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #27
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I got the Gmail app working from what Emusan did. Market still doesn't work, and somehow trying it on the PE borked my account so my emulator doesn't download from Market now.

I kinda like Gmail, so I'm reluctant to bork that to get other HTC things in this firmware update. I'm also not interested in joining VICINC in "hosed_build.prop_ville".
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #28
Triskalleon
Enthusiast

Quote:
http://developer.android.com/index.html

First, download and install Android SDK.
Second, enable USB debug on your device.
Third, connect EP to your computer, go to Device Manager->Disk Drives->delete all Linux devices->hit Action->Scan. It should find new devices and install, among others, ADB interface.
Forth, without disconnecting, run app in question, e.g., Market.
Fifth, after it failed, open DOS box, navigate to where you installed SDK, android-sdk, platform-tools:
adb devices - you should see your device like 0123456789ABCDEF
adb logcat - it will write a lot of lines in DOS box, copy all of them to this thread or send me PM.
OK - made it this far: After deleting two linux "gadgets" and selecting Scan, it appeared to put the same two back in.

The path Android -> android-sdk leads to separate directories named "tools" and "platforms."

"adb" is not recognized as a command
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #29
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
The default path for adb when Android SDK installed with installer on Windows
x86
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
x64
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #30
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Not really much sleeping, more work than fan. In Notion Ink I do it from Recovery (Power+Volume Up) which of course does not work on Edge.
The cache can be deleted from RootTooolbox (from Market). Worth a try.

Quote:
Do you ever sleep?
How do you clear Dalvik cache in Notion? I'll see if I can reproduce that in PE.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote