Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Unhappy 5 Second to turn Page!

I've searched this forum using multiple search terms and found this topic discussed several times but no one has identified the problem or a solution (at least not one I could find).

I have a PRS-300. It has 40 books loaded on it. All are ePub. Other than the covers, there is no artwork, pictures or drawings in any of the ePubs. I loaded all the books onto the reader using Calibre.

All the settings on the Sony Reader, as well as in Calibre, are all at their default settings.

The problem is... when I start a new book the pages turn fast (no more than a second to refresh and display the next page)... BUT... once I get in about 50 or 60 pages the page turns get slower and slower. At page 60 now and it taking 5 full seconds to turn a page. Very annoying!!! Also once this problem starts, "every time" I hit the button to change the font size it says formatting and takes a good 30-40 seconds.

In desperation I deleted the book, then formatted the Readers internal memory and blew off everything. I then went under advanced settings and restored all the Readers factory defaults. I then reloaded my 40 ePub books back on the reader using Calibre. At first... everything is great. But once I page forward in the book I'm reading (i.e. The Dead Have A Thousand Dreams)... when I get to page 50 or so the page refresh (page turns) get slower and slower. It now back to taking 5 seconds per page and its making me crazy.

Please tell me there is a firmware update... or something I can do to resolve this problem . Thanks
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I had this happen on a couple of purchased EPUB on my PRS 505 and I think it comes down to how the EPUB file is formatted. You could try selecting a smaller chunk size when converting to EPUB with calibre (its in the EPUB output settings) or just use LRF instead of EPUB and this should fix it.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
In calibre go to "convert eBook" then click on "ePub output" you should see a section "split files larger than" make sure it is set to 260 KB. Then convert to the file again to epub

That should fix your problem
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
5 Seconds to turn Page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I had this happen on a couple of purchased EPUB on my PRS 505 and I think it comes down to how the EPUB file is formatted. You could try selecting a smaller chunk size when converting to EPUB with calibre (its in the EPUB output settings) or just use LRF instead of EPUB and this should fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
In calibre go to "convert eBook" then click on "ePub output" you should see a section "split files larger than" make sure it is set to 260 KB. Then convert to the file again to epub

That should fix your problem
Thanks to both of you for the quick response! I immediately checked the chunk size but unfortunately it was already set to 260KB. I was thinking about knocking it down to 240KB but in the Calibre instruction it states:

"The default of 260KB is the size required for Adobe Digital Editions"

I wasn't sure if that statement meant anything other than 260KB would cause a problem with Adobe Digital Editions or not, so I left the setting at 260KB, but went ahead and let Calibre do the ePub convert again (although the book as already a ePub document when I originally downloaded it). I then plugged the reader in and let Calibre reload it. Bummer... No luck. The page turns are still taking forever. In fact... I'm now another 40 pages past where I was when I originally posted this plea for help and now the page turns are taking 10 seconds!

When I check other books on the reader, the pages turn fast (like they should) but then again I'm only checking the first couple pages. My fear is if I start reading another book then same thing will start happening when I get 50 or 60 pages into it. This is my very first ereader and I've only had it a few days. Very disappointing that the first book I ever try to read with an ereader turns out to be a painful experience.

I can only hope its the format of the specific book I'm reading causing the problem and not a weird Sony software bug... hoping for a firmware update that may never come.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
I can only hope its the format of the specific book I'm reading causing the problem and not a weird Sony software bug... hoping for a firmware update that may never come.
Why not try reading, or just flipping pages in, another book past the 50 page mark? This would easily determine if your problem is a specific eBook.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I highly recommend trying a second book. To me this sounds like a problem specific to this book.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
I wasn't sure if that statement meant anything other than 260KB would cause a problem with Adobe Digital Editions or not, so I left the setting at 260KB, but went ahead and let Calibre do the ePub convert again (although the book as already a ePub document when I originally downloaded it). I then plugged the reader in and let Calibre reload it. Bummer... No luck. The page turns are still taking forever. In fact... I'm now another 40 pages past where I was when I originally posted this plea for help and now the page turns are taking 10 seconds!
Not, anything over that size and the reader can't open it, but smaller works just fine.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Where did you get the book? Did you create it yourself? As already mentioned, this usually happens if the book is formatted improperly.

As a last resort you can recreate the book. Simply rename the title.epub to title.zip and unzip it to a folder. You will then see 3 or more html files. I open them in a browser, select all and copy to a Word document. After combining all I save again to Filtered HTML in Word and reconvert in Calibre.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote