Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Schrodingerscats
Schrodingerscats began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516
Question Help for Noob on installing Open Inkpot on Hanvon ereader

Hello everyone,

I just received a Hanvon ebook reader as a gift and wish to install the open inkpot software on it.

I followed the instructions on the website: i.e. uninstall the bootinstaller file and save it in the openinkpot folder in my SD card.

However, using the existing interface, I can't access the boot installer file?!

There are only selections for bookcase, music, play record... can someone help by telling me how do I access that file?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodingerscats View Post
I just received a Hanvon ebook reader as a gift and wish to install the open inkpot software on it.

I followed the instructions on the website: i.e. uninstall the bootinstaller file and save it in the openinkpot folder in my SD card.
Read them again. Seriously. Section related to your device, not Hanlin.
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
overflo
overflo began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon n516
Install on Hanvon n516

I have read the instructions but still need some help.
Firstly, oes the SD card need to be formatted?
from the website:
Download flashimage firmware and unpack it. - I presume on computer NOT SD Card but not 100% sure
then from README file:
Connect the device via USB - Check!
Power on Device - again Check!
New device will appear in your system, point to this directory for driver. - First I have 2 devices showing - I presume one is the device itself and one is the SD Card. So does point to this directory mean I use the command prompt to point to the root directory of the device? (i.e. not the SD Card)
Sorry if I sound simple but I would like clarification before I start.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by overflo View Post
I have read the instructions but still need some help.
I don't have a Hanvon, but my reading of the instructions is in bold:

Download flashimage firmware and unpack it. On Windows PC, it contains Windows programs.

How to flash:

1. Connect the device via USB.
The N516 should be turned off at this point.
2. Push the 'Rotate' button and power on the device. Hold Rotate button and Power button at the same time.
3. New device will appear in your system, point to this directory for driver. Windows should detect a USB device of unknown type and ask you for a driver.
4. Run USB_Boot.exe Double click on USB_Boot.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by overflo View Post
New device will appear in your system, point to this directory for driver. - First I have 2 devices showing - I presume one is the device itself and one is the SD Card.
I think this means that Step 2. (above) did not work, because the two USB devices are presumably the ones you get for a standard USB connection. You are trying to setup a reboot USB connection instead.

This procedure is different from that used by most EInk readers, because the reflash is being controlled from a Windows PC (rather than from the stand-alone device). This means that the new image and the reflash software is on the PC, not the device. My old Nokia 770 Internet Tablet works this way too, so it may not be that unusual for handheld devices.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
overflo
overflo began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon n516
Boot up

Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't holding both the power and rotate button. Now that I am, though, the blue light comes on but only at half the brightness as when normally powered up and nothing else happens, and now no device shows up. To get it out of this state I need to reset the device.

If anyone has any experience with the installing OPenInpot on the Hanvon N516 I'd appreciate some advice. I bought the Hanvon for my Dad who needs large print when reading, that's why I went for the Hanvon, it was the only one available to me (here in West Australia) that is compatible with OpenInkpot.

Cheers
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
battez
battez began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon n516
hi I used the rc 0.3 edition to install a couple of months ago. It works well. I think you sare having the same problem I had for a while. The rotate button is NOT the left hadn rotating button on side of device! It is the landscape/portrait button (that is @rotate@ too") next to the little zoom/magnify button.

SO hold that down and press the power button a few times and you will know the flashing screen when you see it on the device.

It has worked well for me up until today when I have done something weird and I cannot now turn the device off, but it won't let me read books aor get to the menu. Is ther a way anyone know to turn the devie off ? The screen is basically stuck for me at OK for off or C for cancel screen

is the IRC channel still active for openinkpot? I have been on some times on freenode but never anyone there.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
battez

dottedmag.. how can I turn off the device (n516) so as to reboot it? reset is not working - just stuck for me on turn off page (press ok for off or C - cancel screen)

I am not sure why it crashed but it seems to have. Had worked brilianly for 6 weeks though!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
battez

Quote:
Originally Posted by battez View Post
dottedmag.. how can I turn off the device (n516) so as to reboot it? reset is not working - just stuck for me on turn off page (press ok for off or C - cancel screen)

I am not sure why it crashed but it seems to have. Had worked brilianly for 6 weeks though!
Yay! I fixed it all by myself. I eventually remembered there is a reset button on the back of the device, which you press a pen or paper-clip idnto and it re-boots. All working again.

I actually diagnosed the problem better. It had been that the menus kind of worked but when I went to Memory Card from the menu, (for books or audio etc) it did nothing. I think it @lost sight@ of the memory card somehow, although I ejected it and mounted it on anothe rmachine and put it back into the n516 evenually. Re-boot has fixed this though now.

I actually read that it is impossible to brick the device anyhow - the reset button is why I think as you can alwys reboot to flashed firmware.

I might now I thhink of it try to upgrade to latest build of openinkpot. Great software dootedmag! good luck with google code summer work this year again!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
ASnoopyDOG
ASnoopyDOG began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516 - patched with Scriba V.2.5.3.2 Firmware
> 2. Push the 'Rotate' button and power on the device. Hold Rotate button and Power button at the same time.

If this didn't work try _hold_ 'Rotate' button and reset your device at the same time.