Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
toolpusher
toolpusher began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 700
I am going to give it a shot

Evening,
I have just got into ebook readers. I have always loved to read. I have been curious lately as to what was offered in the line of electronic book readers. I googled ebook and started checking things out.
I didn't know that they have come as far as they have. I checked out the Kindle first and was very intrigued by it. but, as we all know I am too late for one for Christmas. (11 to 13 week waiting period?) - no thanks.
I then found out about the others - iliad, cybook, sony, etc.
I was impressed. I have a tendency to over analyze everything when I become interested in something. I did that with the ebook readers. I have checked out all of them. I have decided on the sony brand. Of course, I have read all the posts about sony. Especially the posts about the difference in the screens of the 700 and 505. I have went back and forth between the two for about a week. 700 - faster interface, side light, larger memory, touch screen. 505 - better contrast on the screen, light wedge cover for night reading, cheaper (cost of both is not too much of a factor for me - the iLiad is priced higher ( i know that more can be done with it- the larger screen would be nice ( a litle bit bulkier for travel - I work 14 and 14 in the oilfield) but the startup time and battery life kinda puts me off. Taking notes, searching and highlighting things is not a big thing for me. would I use it? maybe - maybe not. Read technical books and large PDF files? porbalby not. Read a lot of fiction and best sellers? absolutely. Would the 505 suffice? probably but I am a gadget nut and love cutting edge tech. 700 overkill for what I want it for? probably.
Finally I have decided to try the 700. If I don't like it I will return it. I have seen the 505 at Books A Million (chain in my area) and liked the screen. didn't like the slow response time (it's ok but nothng to brag about) I could not find a 700 to look at and this is what has kept me (that over analyzing nature) from ordering before now.
I guess I'll never know until I try it. Some pictures look ok and then some don't. Some people like it , some don't. Some like the side lighted screen, some don't. Some like the touch screen, some don't. I decided to put my hands on one and see for myself. I have never owned one or saw one (until the 505)
like it? - not like it? - I don't know but I will find out.

David
toolpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Enjoy your Sony. However, as someone pointed out to me, and I have been pointing out to everyone else ... there are factory refurbished Kindles with the same 30 day return option and same 1 year warranty available for $329 and which can be delivered next day .... or within 5 days with free shipping.

So ... if you decide you don't like your Sony, and want to try a Kindle, there is no need to wait for three months to get your hands on one. And, if what you want is easy access to bestsellers .... then I'm not sure there's a better choice.

However, since you have ordered your Sony, I really do hope you are pleased as punch with it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
if you dont have another ebook reader to compare it with right in front of you, you wont notice the difference in the screen.

I think you will thoroughly enjoy the 700, I certainly am.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I have a friend who's hubby just bought her a 700 for an early Christmas present. She has a 500, and has no issue with the screen on the 700. She loves the UI, touch screen & built-in lights. She is thrilled with her 700.

I have a 505, and bought a 700 because I'm really into new things & gadgets. I adored the touch screen and the UI. Wasn't very impressed with the built-in lights. But I mostly use it to read novels & short stories. The difference in the screen contrast was a deal breaker for me.

Everybody sees it differently. I'm interested to see what you end up thinking!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote