Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Official "I still love it" thread

I've purchased 33 books from Sony's site in the last 11 months.

I've abandoned 12 of them. (read a bit of the book and didn't like it so I stopped reading)

I won't say I "love" my Sony Reader (love, who can love metal?) but I'm very satisfied with it. It is an amazing device, and suited my needs perfectly.

Normally people only post here if they are newbies or have problems. I just wanted to post something that shows I'm a longer-term satisfied user of the PRS-505.

(disclaimer: I'm kinda drunk)
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm not drunk (does that disqualify me? ), but I've had my PRS500 almost 2 full years now, and I still love it, and use it daily. I still get about three weeks' use on each battery charge, and the only issue I've had is that the buttons are getting a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.

All in all I'm quite pleased, and barring some game-changing development, my next one will be a Sony as well. (Though I've got my eye on one of the iLiad 1000's for my wife, but she'd want it for professional purposes ... come to think of it, I could use one myself for professional stuff, if it works out to have the features it sounds like it might and I hope it does. )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I got a Sony a little while after NatCh and I use it every day. I reload it about once a week and that recharges it. I am still getting about 1,700 pages per bar on the battery.

I am right handed and the button placement is fine for the way I hold a book. Would I buy another Sony? Yes! I have never marked in books do the extra features of the iLiad are meaningless to me. For the next reader I am hoping for something with a larger screen made of plastic (not glass.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
stacis16
stacis16 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505
I've had my 505 for 10 months, and I went from liking it and finding it convenient to absolutely loving it. I'm finding it harder and harder to deal with pbooks because I am getting very spoiled with the size, weight and convenience.

The reason why I went from liking it to loving it is that I discovered Mobileread, which resulted in my finding out about Calibre, and then Convertlit. Having these two tools means I have more book buying options, which actually may not be a good thing.

Anyway, I'm going to extend my 505 love to Mobileread love. I may not post much, and I wish I had more to contribute, but I appreciate everything the experts have provided, and am extremely impressed with this community.
stacis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
One year on and still enjoying it immensely! Not much more to say except that I use it every single day and it does exactly what I need it to do which is read fiction.
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
martinbradford
martinbradford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
This could be the start of a wonderful friendship...

Had mine less than 24 hours, but I have a feeling that it is going to be a long running affair! Even read, and quite enjoyed, a bit of Mills and Boone (though, of course, I would deny it vigorously) - was a pre-loaded sample :-)

Martin
martinbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I've had my PRS500 about 18 months or so, use it every day and still only charge about once per month.

I have bought a huge number of books from the sony store (courtesy of folks here with gift codes), was all excited to finally see a UK release, only to have my hopes dashed when Waterstones announced they only sell ADE books (which the PRS500 can't use).

Recently been buying books from fictionwise and converting them to *.lrf

Do I still love my Reader? You bet I do
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Only had mine a few weeks, and I had a terrible time at the start...........however, for all the glitches I experienced, I am thrilled with my Sony Reader.
I really do love it so much, best thing I ever bought !!
After such a short time I really don't know how I ever lived without it, couldn't give it up if I tried.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
nobicus
nobicus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Had mine a few days and already it goes everywhere with me!! I am now reading three books and it keeps the pages bookmarked for me - wonderful! Have another 160 books already loaded thanks in the most part to members of this forum who have taken the time and trouble to upload for the rest of us to enjoy. Some will be reminders of the reading I did at school 50 years ago (where else can you get a copy of "Three men on a Bummel" - which I remember being told was the nickname for a German tram. Happy memories.)
Therefore - yes I do love mine too.
nobicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I have had my Sony since May and it goes everywhere with me. I have read more books since May than I have in the previous two years. I absolutely love it and try to share the love with anyone who seems interested. I picked up some of the 'actual size' pamphlets from my local borders and keep them in my bag. If someone give me an "Ohh, is that a book?", I whip one out and tell them all about it. I then tell them where to buy one and the wealth of online info such as this comm and Calibre.

I just feel the need to get all readers addicted to ebooks.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I went from one Sony PRS-500 to TWO Sony PRS-500s (the second one was on sale for $99 just prior to the release of the 505.)

I absolutely loved the 500, but then when I bought the 505 my love affair blossomed into romance and flowers and sweet words every morning.

I sold both 500s and bought the 505 around March (?).

For me, the 505 added an incredible leap in pleasure: It was faster, brighter, with a larger internal memory; there is no more image ghosting; it's lighter and has a better ebook cover (the cover doesn't sag like the 500 does).

Next to a computer and my Thorens turntable, I've never had as much pleasure as owning an ebook Reader. My "ebook-loving" days goes back about 7 years ago.

In my opinion, ebooks have finally caught on, and people and publishers (generally) are now starting to "get it" [understand].

I have to confess, though, that even though I own another ebook reader, I use my PRS-505 every single day - not one day has gone by that I haven't been reading in it and marveling at the technology and loving it.

When reading on an electronic device, I am a serially monogamous reader with my Sony PRS-505. When I get married in December [tentative date], my wife will have to understand that my ebook Reader will also be with me on the Honeymoon.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
In the five months I've had the 505, I guestimate that I've read over 65 novels, over 100 short stories, 3 science papers, 14 non-fiction books, and have used it to show family pictures to several dozen people. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it and it continues to be my preferred reading "object" (I can't say "device" since a printed book is not a device. Is there nomenclature for this?)

Yeah, I still love it. However, it could use a few improvements...
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
In the five months I've had the 505, I guestimate that I've read over 65 novels, over 100 short stories, 3 science papers, 14 non-fiction books, and have used it to show family pictures to several dozen people. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it and it continues to be my preferred reading "object" (I can't say "device" since a printed book is not a device. Is there nomenclature for this?)

Yeah, I still love it. However, it could use a few improvements...
around here we call it a liseuse. no really, just ask anyone.

i will probably be posting to this thread soon to tell of a love affair which should shortly begin...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I bought prs-500 in Jan 2007 just for an occasional trip and summer holidays, so I don't have to bring with me 2 hard back editions...In no time I fell in love with it. I never expected it to happen! Bought prs-505 in December 2007. Love it even more. I don't care about features but the screen is so much better: more contrast, brighter and no ghosting at all. The reader goes with me to work everyday.
I am not going to buy iRex at least in the near future, or whatever comes out from other makers in Spring 2009 only because I hope Sony is going to make something similar 9.7" size and I trust them more.

P.S. Sony! Don't let me down! Please!?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I got my 505 last Christmas, I think. I'm hating life 'cause the screen broke. (Laptop fell on it.)

To quote Joni Mitchell "You don't know what you've got till it's gone".

If Sony's October surprise doens't do it for my I'll buy another.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote