Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Switching from Kobo Aura HD to Kindle Fire HDX, using Calibre...

So I've been using a Kobo Aura HD. Recent problems with them were my last straw, and I'm being given the early Christmas present of a Kindle Fire HDX.

I have a large Calibre library (1300+ books) and they are ALL in epub format.
Is there anything I have to do to get ready to use them with the HDX, besides doing a mass conversion? Do I convert to mobi, or AZW3?

Is there a step by step guide anywhere to how to do this painlessly? Thanks!
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Can anyone help?
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you wanting to read them with the default Kindle reading app on the HDX? I'd consider leaving them in ePub and using Mantano (or Aldiko) as your reader Moon+ Pro is good too, but I don't think it's in the Amazon store. I'd then get Calibre Companion (even if you use the Kindle app) as a great way to have your library organized (if you're going to transfer all 1300+).

If converting I'd go for AZW3.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
Major General
Zealot

Calibre Companion would seem like a good idea, except for two reasons:

(1) Comments on the Amazon Appstore seem to indicate it wouldn't work with the 2nd Gen Kindle Fire...i wonder if it will with the HDX

(2) I have less than no clue about how to set up the wifi connection between Calibre and a reader--ive always used USB. Can Calibre Companion be used (if it will work on the HDX) with a USB connection?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
Calibre Companion would seem like a good idea, except for two reasons:

(1) Comments on the Amazon Appstore seem to indicate it wouldn't work with the 2nd Gen Kindle Fire...i wonder if it will with the HDX
It works, but getting it installed requires rooting the device. Reason: Amazon refuses to sell CC for their devices in their appstore, so one must root the device to get access to the Google Play store.
Quote:
(2) I have less than no clue about how to set up the wifi connection between Calibre and a reader--ive always used USB. Can Calibre Companion be used (if it will work on the HDX) with a USB connection?
No. CC is wireless only.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Major General
Zealot

The Calibre Companion website has a link for the Amazon Appstore--I could always get the app on my Galaxy S III, use Titanium Backup to back it up, and then sideload it...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Calibre Companion website has a link for the Amazon Appstore--I could always get the app on my Galaxy S III, use Titanium Backup to back it up, and then sideload it...
CC won't run correctly if you do that. That version will attempt to verify its license with google play, which will fail unless you have the Google Play licensing service on your amazon device.

The link is there because some people with non-Amazon devices like to buy apps from the Amazon store.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Major General
Zealot

So CC isn't an option until I'm able to root the HDX, which doesn't seem to be in the immediate future at least upon reading the XDA forum...are there any other options other than mass-conversion that I'm missing?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So CC isn't an option until I'm able to root the HDX, which doesn't seem to be in the immediate future at least upon reading the XDA forum...are there any other options other than mass-conversion that I'm missing?
Actually, I might be wrong. If you buy the app from amazon then it is licensed by amazon, not google play. Clearly the HDX will have amazon licensing support built in, so it just might work.

I see two possible problems:
1) The HDX may refuse to check the license even though it is an amazon license, just to prevent you doing the sort of thing you suggest.
2) My partner (son) tells me that we cannot give refunds for amazon purchases, so if it doesn't work and you cannot establish that in the time allowed by amazon, you will be out the $3.

Note that if it works for CC, then it will also probably work for the EPUB reading apps. You might try it first with one of those, given that many have free versions.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It works, but getting it installed requires rooting the device. Reason: Amazon refuses to sell CC for their devices in their appstore, so one must root the device to get access to the Google Play store.
No. CC is wireless only.
Maybe this is old news and you already know this (since this thread is almost a month old), but I was able to buy CC from the Amazon store directly from my HDX (8.9) and install it just fine. The website shows it as compatible too.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe this is old news and you already know this (since this thread is almost a month old), but I was able to buy CC from the Amazon store directly from my HDX (8.9) and install it just fine. The website shows it as compatible too.
This is in fact news.

Does CC work on your fire? In particular, does "read"ing a book (long press on a book, or book details then 'read') open the book in the reader app? What reader app(s) are you using?
Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I'm still getting things set up as I just got it yesterday. So far all I've done is install it and try transferring books, which worked great via WiFi. I do have the OverDrive app installed and CC did open books in that when I tapped 'read' (it's the only ePub reader installed so far). My project for later today or tomorrow is to get Moon+ Pro and Mantano Premium running on it. Once I do I'll post back and let you know it they worked okay, but I don't expect a problem. I plan to use Moon+ Pro or Mantano as my main reader.

I did try it with an AZW3 even though I expected it not to work, and as expected it didn't, although I bet it would after a fashion if I wanted to go to the trouble of changing where and how CC saves the books.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Okay, I've got Mantano Premium running on my HDX now and CC behaves exactly as expected. Things work just like they do on my Nexus 7.1
Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
fierymyst
fierymyst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HDX
Can you categorize your Kindle Books on the Kindle HDX with the CC app?I just want something that will organize my books by type or something... still can't believe we are so many years in and they still haven't created that!
fierymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
How well it will work with Kindle's ereader App I am unsure of, currently AnemicOak has been testing it with other Reading Apps. Hopefully AnemicOak will have more specific Kindle HDX first hand experience to pass on to you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierymyst View Post
Can you categorize your Kindle Books on the Kindle HDX with the CC app?I just want something that will organize my books by type or something... still can't believe we are so many years in and they still haven't created that!
If your Kindle books are being transferred from calibre the answer is yes.

Quoted below from Calibre Companion Android App: Information, Change Log, and FAQ thread.

Quote:
The third: Calibre Companion is a library organizer for your device.

You can:
  • sort books by title, author, series, date changed, with both ascending and descending sorts.
  • group books by title, author, tags, series, publisher, date read, and most calibre custom column types; including optional navigation by first letter.
  • view a "book jacket" showing all the details of a book, including calibre's custom columns.
  • launch your book reader application to read a book (works with most reader applications).
  • search for books using calibre-like search syntax.
  • scan your library folders for books not in Calibre Companion's database and adding them. This process uses calibre to help get the highest quality metadata available.
Additionally you can view current screen shots of the CC app in the Play store.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote