Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The Ectaco jetBook and jetBook Lite discontinued

Jerry has posted that they (Ectaco) are not producing the regular jetBook or
the jetBook Lite anymore. This just leaves the jetBook Mini and the Jetbook
Color as their ereaders.

If you haven't acquired a backup JB or JBL, you might want to before the
existing supply dries up.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Honestly, I thought the JBL had been discontinued quite a while ago. Anyway, I prepared in advance.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Jerry has posted that they (Ectaco) are not producing the regular jetBook or
the jetBook Lite anymore. This just leaves the jetBook Mini and the Jetbook
Color as their ereaders.

If you haven't acquired a backup JB or JBL, you might want to before the
existing supply dries up.

Luck;
Ken
I read on their site forum quite a while ago that they were discontinued and were just selling off excess stock...

That said I decided to take advantage of the newegg price, c. $57 and pick up the original and a lite given that I used my old Palm IIIx for a VERY long time to read, and used a Franklin ebookman(one w/backlight forget the model designation #) for some time as well.

Expect them to show up tomorrow some time. Get to compare to what I remember of my REB-1100(LCD), PRS-505, Kobo Wifi and touch(crap fw), Nook simple touch, and recently a Kindle paper white(has some problems with sideloading much like the kobos did, but none of the other more irritating problems).

Looking forward to trying out these puppies. Probably go with the original first as it's the more perishable one with a rechargeable batt. Might buy another pair if I like them...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Honestly, I thought the JBL had been discontinued quite a while ago. Anyway, I prepared in advance.
I really wanted to get one for some time now, but the price they are charging is just plain wrong. Not all that long ago the Mini was $99.95AUD, the upped to $109.95AUD with a free pouch (ok I can live with that), and now it is $189.95. For a product with no updates for a LOOOONG time doubling the price is a bit rich. The Lite and normanl JB sat above $200 while the US was enjoying sub-$100 prices from newegg etc ($40 shipping through a forwarder didn't make it viable).

I wonder if they will release a new product soon? The K-12 is expensive and I havent read anywhere from anyone who has one (other than reviewers).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for the heads-up Ken.

Last chance for those who are curious about what some of us have been talking about for the past three and a half years.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I just received my lite and an original(charging ATM).

The original came in a plain white box but with everything that had been described in other posts from years ago.

The lite came w/ Software: v0.16e and Patch: v16 (I'm trying this one out right now as it did actually come in retail packaging(apparently) along with 4xAAs, USB cable, and a 4p quick start guide.) Seemed a bit sluggish at first, but now that I'm moving back and forth between menus it appears to be responding a bit quicker.

Color via newegg via ectaco will apparently be probably whatever they have. The newegg product pix were black while the one I received is grey. The "original" jetbook was black as described on the newegg page.

So next steps will be to track down firmware versions for both and then try some books. A quick look after googling up the actual ectaco lite page, I'm not finding fw so off to browse the forum and/or more indepth googling of the ectaco site... [EDIT] another quick Google seems that 16e is it for fw... [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
The jetbook lite page on ectaco only shows white & grey as available options, so I guess that I'm glad that they sent grey rather than white. (I generally prefer dark/black for readers as they end up being used in sunlight and light colors/shiny surfaces are annoying in direct sunlight...)
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 04-10-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The 16e FW is the final release and has been stable for some time now.
It includes the Adobe Reader Mobile 9.1.1 reading software and has all
the beneficial features that are talked about here.

There are a few things you might want to consider to get the most out
of your new JBL. I will edit this post to bring in some of my earlier efforts
with descriptions of things that have been useful.

To be added:

Things to get for your new JBL:

Rechargeable Batteries and a charger
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

A USB2 based SD/SDHC Media Reader for you PC
http://www.geeks.com

The slip-on leather cover (don't have a source, but Newegg had them for a while)

Things to do to your new JBL:

Copy the internal memory to a folder on your PC, as a backup and to thin out the
provided ebooks (I just use a 4GB SD card for all my ebooks and leave the internal
memory mostly empty)

Format the internal storage to FAT32.
(a Windows PC will recognize the internal memory as a FAT partition and give it a
Drive Letter, when you connect to your PC with the USB Cable, from there you can
treat it as a drive and use the PC's drive & file/folder management tools)

Learn how to access the built-in diagnostic screen (for both the JB & the JBL)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The 16e FW is the final release and has been stable for some time now.
It includes the Adobe Reader Mobile 9.1.1 reading software and has all
the beneficial features that are talked about here.

There are a few things you might want to consider to get the most out
of your new JBL. I will edit this post to bring in some of my earlier efforts
with descriptions of things that have been useful.

To be added:

Things to get for your new JBL:

Rechargeable Batteries and a charger
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

A USB2 based SD/SDHC Media Reader for you PC
http://www.geeks.com

The slip-on leather cover (don't have a source, but Newegg had them for a while)

Things to do to your new JBL:

Copy the internal memory to a folder on your PC, as a backup and to thin out the
provided ebooks (I just use a 4GB SD card for all my ebooks and leave the internal
memory mostly empty)

Format the internal storage to FAT32.
(a Windows PC will recognize the internal memory as a FAT partition and give it a
Drive Letter, when you connect to your PC with the USB Cable, from there you can
treat it as a drive and use the PC's drive & file/folder management tools)

Learn how to access the built-in diagnostic screen (for both the JB & the JBL)

Luck;
Ken
Thanks for the extras suggestions, but this isn't my first rodeo... but I'm sure that it might be helpful for some first device owners at some, and so having an amalgamation of info in one post is a good idea. e.g. I just swap cables on my nook color charger(2A rated) to charge most of my rechargeables, got a bunch of older uSD cards and just use SD adapters(VAST majority of my devices take uSD so I never bothered with full SDs as they were mostly useless to me). Rechargeable batteries, I'd probably suggest that IF you used rechargeables quite a bit to invest in eneloop rechargeable batteries and a GOOD charger for them... (If I remember to I think that I have a "starter" kit saved in an Amazon wishlist, AA, AAA, and charger that looks pretty good(well if you do more than basic recharging) that I can post the links for.)

Probably could do with a new sticky with things like final fw, etc. for the discontinued models.

The "original" jb finally charged. I hate to say it but even just the "feel" of the original jb is just so much nicer than the jbl. i.e. it just feels sturdier and more robust, and like the jbl came with the latest released fw. (The jbl just feels so cheaply built v. the jb...)

Books on external card: yep, pretty much with my devices, when I have the option EVERYTHING goes on an external storagev. internal storage. Sadly the kindle, and some other things like my nexus 4 lack external storage capability(well via uSD or SD). (OTOH my kindle has a useable browser so I can run my old calibre content sharing server again, which is awesome when I'm home, although it's kind of a PITA as I'm in the process of converting my library to include .mobi(initially) versions as well as .epub(and probably will also do .kf8(AZW3).)

[EDIT]
Here's the diagnostic screen access that Ken is writing about, I think: (PITA multi-key combo)
http://factory-reset.com/wiki/JetBook

Charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C90...I2VV0KNISII8GM
http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tech...I1NKHFVUV0DDHJ

Some Eneloop batts:
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-2000mA...=IUYSL7BGDI1YI
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-...I2VZ3659DB8MK9

I stick with Amazon unless I REALLY get a MUCH better deal as I'm a Prime subscriber too(partially for the "free" 2d shipping and partially for video streaming...)
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
If you're going to do C, D cells etc. You'll want to search out some other chargers(obviously). I picked those for a variety of reasons, e.g. usefulness for attempting to "recondition" "dying" batts, etc.
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 04-10-2013 at 08:33 PM.