Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Gutenberg Original - Add a Cover

I have a perfectly good looking / working epub direct from Gutenburg and all I want to do is to attach / insert a cover so that I can enjoy the cover on my Kobo Touch.

If I insert the cover through edit meta data and convert to epub to generate a new file, Calibre mucks about with other settings.

How can I get it to insert just the cover image and leave evertyhing else alone?

Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I have a perfectly good looking / working epub direct from Gutenburg and all I want to do is to attach / insert a cover so that I can enjoy the cover on my Kobo Touch.

If I insert the cover through edit meta data and convert to epub to generate a new file, Calibre mucks about with other settings.

How can I get it to insert just the cover image and leave evertyhing else alone?

Thanks!
Get the 'Modify EPUB' plugin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I added the plug-in but I can't figure out how to get the cover into the file. Do I still do a conversion? I must be missing a simple step. Thanks.

Update: Ok, so I pressed convert (epub to epub) and the formatting got messed up again although the cover was added. But that's where I started.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 03-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
OK, I added the plug-in but I can't figure out how to get the cover into the file. Do I still do a conversion? I must be missing a simple step. Thanks.

Update: Ok, so I pressed convert (epub to epub) and the formatting got messed up again although the cover was added. But that's where I started.
The plugin has tick boxes.
One says update Metadata (including cover)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard

Thanks; that appears to update a meta-generated text only cover. I am trying to insert an image cover where one does not exist in the original file.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Try Sigil. If the epub-epub conversion doesn't give me the results I want, Sigil lets me edit the epub however I want and add or remove images easily. If you try this, also get the "Open With" plugin to make it easy to edit the epub from Calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Try Sigil. ...
seconded.

I've found that the "Modify EPUB" plugin will reliably change a cover but will not insert one where none exists. When it fails, use Sigil to insert one.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote