Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Head phones or ear buds for the KF?

I enjoy watching Netflix while I'm walking on my treadmill, but between the low volume and the noise of the treadmill I'm having trouble hearing a lot of the movies. I was wondering if anyone know if the cheap ear buds or headsets you see for the iPad/iPod are compatible with the Fire? I wouldn't mind spending a little cash for a good set, but I'd like to be pretty sure that they're going to work first.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The Fire has a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. Any of the commonly available headphones and earbuds should work so long as they use the standard 3 contact plug and not the 4 contact plug used by a few special ones that also include a microphone.

Some headphones require more audio "power" than some devices provide, resulting in noticeably lower volume. Anything that works well with common MP3 players should work well.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Actually, a 4-contact plug like the kind used for iphones will also work on the Fire; the microphone can be used to record voice memos or tune a guitar (using appropriate apps, of course). No one, as far as I know, has yet been able to successfully use the mic to make a two-way Skype call.

If you're buying a standard set of ear buds, like for an mp3 player, you may want to get a set with an in-line volume control to easily adjust the volume or to turn it down quickly for conversations. That's my personal preference, anyway.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Use a small set of powered speakers. That's what I use for my devices. They have built-in rechargeable batteries, so they won't sap the Fire's battery. Lots of styles, sizes, shapes, and companies to choose from.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I don't know the brand. But I used to have a set of headphones that had a volume adjust built into it. They were flat, so didn't add anything to the sound coming out, and they could be set to be EXTREMELY LOUD. They were like less than $20 too. With the KF not having much of any volume controls, something like that could come in handy.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I have a pair of Altec Lansing ear buds I got off of 1saleaday for...about $4. And they work REALLY well. If/when they have another run of the same model, I'm going to snag another set or three.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
I always hesitate to recommend or bash particular headphones/earbuds/speakers as universally appropriate for other people because both individual preferences and styles of music make a big difference in what one finds good or acceptable. But having said that, I'll mention several options that have worked well for me in the "not cheap but not a car payment" price categories.

The powered speakers TubeMonkey mentions above are apparently sold by a variety of vendors at various price points. I have a pair similar to the ones he/she describes from iHome. Less expensive versions with the same overall design are available but I can't vouch for their quality. The ones I have are really great (imo.)

http://www.amazon.com/IHOME-iHM79BC-...0526360&sr=8-2

As far as headphones are concerned, the Sennheiser P-100ii "foldable" headphones are truly superb for the money (according to me and to many other reviewers.) If you're looking for chest rattling bass they're not for you. But if you want accurate sound reproduction, very light weight, and easy portability, they're superb. They fold into a package about the size of a pair of eyeglasses and you can wear them for hours without strain.

In addition, Sennheiser stands behind their products. Broke an earlier version of these after three years (literally sat on them) and Sennheiser sent me a replacement free of charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-...0526647&sr=1-2

I hate earbuds. They simply don't work for my (apparently) weird shaped ear canals. Instead I prefer in-ear noise isolating earphones when I fly. Shure makes some of the best in the industry. Multiple tips make fitting to your ear a cinch and you won't have to worry about the terror before the plane crashes. You'll never hear the pilot telling you it's going to happen. The sound is marvelous and feels like it's inside your head.

In addition, because the cables are replaceable you won't have to replace the earphones if the connection wears out.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-...0526995&sr=1-2
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am hard of hearing and I use the bose headsets. The ones that cover the ear.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try SoundMagic E10s for some really nice ear buds on the cheap on Amazon.

You might as well thank me as soon as you order them.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks all. I've never used ear buds, so I'm concerned that I'm in the weird shaped ears, can't stand the feel camp, but i've got some good options to investigate now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My earbud preference is the kind that sticks into your ears like plugs. I can't stand the traditional iPod style ones that just sort of hang there.

Plus, they give better noise isolation, and therefore, usually, better volume and sound quality.

The kind I like best are "whichever ones are on sale for under $10."

When I wan't more isolation or more comfort, I use big over the ear headphones. Currently I'm using some $29 Koss ones from Best Buy. They're fine.

The inline volume is a great idea. You can just leave the Fire on full blast and control it with a real lever.

And yes, the microphone headsets do indeed work in some apps...here's hoping for full implementation of that in a future update.

Those powered speakers, small though they might be, would seem to be unwieldy in the gym, and are likely to bug the people next to you....

Last edited by ApK; 03-02-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: If you don't notice, I'm not telling.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I've got a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 in-the-ear ear phones. They are great for noise isolation, especially on flights with lots of crying kids.

I've also used them at the gym and It's hard to hear any of the background noise with them in.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
While I also love my Sennheiser headphones (PMX-50, PMX-60 and CR-300 in-ear-buds), I got myself a sweat-resisting "sports" headset for workouts and jogging.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Thanks all. I've never used ear buds, so I'm concerned that I'm in the weird shaped ears, can't stand the feel camp, but i've got some good options to investigate now.
Have at it at Best Buy. See what interests you and they have a 30 day return policy and no questions asked!

While there are some lighter than others, most headphones for me are just too darn heavy (especially the better ones).

Last edited by robertc88; 03-02-2012 at 11:09 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote