Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you ask LightWedge for a model for 6" e-ink readers?
Yes, and I'd buy one too! 11 68.75%
I don't want to request it, but I would buy one if it was available. 1 6.25%
I won't request it, and I wouldn't buy one regardless. 2 12.50%
I will request to help out, but I won't buy one. 0 0%
This poll doesn't apply to me, but I'd like to see the answers. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Lightbulb LightWedge Request Campaign -- Whaddaya say we Lobby LightWedge?

Fellow MobileReaders, this is a call for you to each consider contacting LightWedge to request that they consider making a LightWedge device to fit 6" e-ink displays.

If you don't want to, that's fine, if you do want to, please do.

A year ago, several of us contacted them to request the same thing, at the time, they were working on painting one of their standard clip on lights black and didn't want to consider an actual LightWedge for what they then viewed as an untried product.

I'm hoping with the advent of the second Sony Reader, and the fact that there are about to be a number of other 6" e-ink displays on the market, that they might reconsider that position -- especially if they get asked to do so by a bunch of different folks.

Sorry to leave you out of this one, iLiadittes, but if they actually make a 6" one, they'll likely be more amenable to other sizes.

Here is their Contact Us form.

Here is the message I sent into them, feel free to use it as a guide, but I would suggest you make some sort of adjustment to it so they don't think that we're all a single person with nothing better to do than send them the same message over and over again.

Quote:
Hello,

I would like to ask that you consider making a LightWedge model for use with 6" e-ink reading devices such as the Sony Reader. Now that Sony has brought out a new model, and several other companies have, or are about to release reading devices with the exact same 6" e-ink panel, I'm hoping that you might consider the market to be developing sufficiently to merit a new LightWedge model.

Please consider that every single one of these devices has no built in light, and that there is not yet any lighting option for them which could approach what a LightWedge could do as far as effectiveness and efficiency. I would absolutely buy one, and I know of a number of other folks who would be interested, as well.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

NatCh
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Looks nice. I was thinking of trying to throw something together this weekend that would fit over the top edge of the reader and half way down the two sides and throw light from a few LEDs more or less down onto the Reader surface. But it would have been a real cludge. I'd much rather buy something like what you suggest that was designed properly. I just hate the War of the Worlds eye thing that Sony sells (it's bigger than the Reader, so what happened to portability?) and I really don't see any other options that look particularly appealing either. So this is a great idea, NatCh. At least to try. So I have sent them a message of support committing to buy one if they make it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't believe it was my idea originally, but someone else's suggestion over 18 months ago.

We sort of tried something like this last October, but I thought it was worth a shot again. The worst that could happen is for them to say "no," which leaves us no worse off than we are now. Besides, how can we get a yes unless we ask the question?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Good luck with it -- it would be nice to have something like this for the iLiad someday, too.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Good luck with it -- it would be nice to have something like this for the iLiad someday, too.
I'd like that too -- ideally I'd like to see the manufacturers building such a front-light into the devices.

I just figured this is the lowest hanging fruit.
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
They have a paperback book size that might work well on the iLiad device and it is even cheaper, only $24.95.

http://www.lightwedge.com/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

The trouble is that the standard ones are made to fit down around the edges of a paper book's pages. Whereas for an e-ink reader, the plexi would need to fit down inside the well around the e-ink panel.

They don't really work very well unless they're in contact with what you want lit.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The trouble is that the standard ones are made to fit down around the edges of a paper book's pages. Whereas for an e-ink reader, the plexi would need to fit down inside the well around the e-ink panel.

They don't really work very well unless they're in contact with what you want lit.
Interesting. They claim that they are good for maps and other objects and they even sell a small one for use in a restaurant. I guess I will have to go find one in a store and check it out.

Dale
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I guess I will have to go find one in a store and check it out.
Barns & Nobles usually carries them ... and I think Borders may, as well.

Maps work because they're flexible, the small ones don't have a rim around them so they're no problem to put flat against whatever.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Barns & Nobles usually carries them ... and I think Borders may, as well.

Maps work because they're flexible, the small ones don't have a rim around them so they're no problem to put flat against whatever.
Thanks, maybe the red one I was reading about doesn't have the rim as well. It was the one that specifically talked about maps and was recommended if you needed to preserve your night vision. I am not sure a red lens would do well for long term book reading tho.

the whole idea looks promising.

Dale
Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
MissLissa
Enthusiast
MissLissa has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 500/Palm Tungsten E2
Nate - great idea. It would be a wonderful thing for when I go camping. I visited the site and saw the HP design - I so want to get it for my nephew (well, one for me too!).
MissLissa is offline   Reply With Quote