Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #61
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #62
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Someone should post this link on the Borders window.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #63
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
The empty building makes me wonder if corporate taxes had been just 1% lower, would that have been enough to keep the store profitable, selling its goods, employing its people, paying its rent and paying some tax instead of none.
If the store/chain isn't profitable they ain't paying any corporate tax anyway, lowering the rate isn't going to do anything to save them.
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #64
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
If the store/chain isn't profitable they ain't paying any corporate tax anyway, lowering the rate isn't going to do anything to save them.
Good point, not to mention the fact that many corporations manage to dodge corporate taxes anyway, especially the bigger ones.

I always laugh at 'Boo hoo, poor corporations, ain't the government mean to them' posts wherever I find them.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #65
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Good point, not to mention the fact that many corporations manage to dodge corporate taxes anyway, especially the bigger ones.

I always laugh at 'Boo hoo, poor corporations, ain't the government mean to them' posts wherever I find them.
I know, personally, far more individuals and small business owners who dodge their taxes.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #66
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Borders is a joke. Theres one going out of business close by, first they advertised 20-40% off. Of course, that was a horrible exaggeration. Just about everything in the store was 20% off and a few were 30%. Anything above that must have been that near empty Clearance rack that had junk no one cared about. I went in there almost daily, the store continued to stay stocked. Why? Prices were ridiculous. I would often go in and compare prices to Amazon, despite this massive 'sale' of up to 20% off, Amazon still had them beat by sometimes $10. One time I found a book that costs three times as much at Borders. Thats just ridiculous. Now they put up a 'PRICES SLASHED' sign, you go in, same thing as before. You ask what prices are slashed, now the comics are 30% off. Real sale. The store is a joke and will not be missed. Hopefully a book store with some sense will be put in its place.

I used to have a WaldenBooks where I lived. I loved that place until it became a Borders Express.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Borders is a joke. Theres one going out of business close by, first they advertised 20-40% off. Of course, that was a horrible exaggeration...
I don't know any store "going out of business" that hasn't done this, at least until the very end, when they have no choice but to cannibalize everything... and usually at that point, some group has made them an offer for everything left at pennies on the dollar, and they get the real deals. Then the items turn up...

Are you ready?...

...online at Amazon and eBay.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #68
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I know, personally, far more individuals and small business owners who dodge their taxes.
So how many corporations do you know? I mean, personally?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #69
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So how many corporations do you know? I mean, personally?

The ones I read about, when they make the news for tax evasion.

You said "especially the bigger ones." What makes them special?

My point being only that I don't automatically favor mom-and-pop over big companies, nor assume that the defunct mom-and-pop was a noble victim of big company wrong doing.

I don't think big is inherently bad but it often seems portrayed that way.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #70
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I don't know any store "going out of business" that hasn't done this, at least until the very end, when they have no choice but to cannibalize everything... and usually at that point, some group has made them an offer for everything left at pennies on the dollar, and they get the real deals. Then the items turn up...

Are you ready?...

...online at Amazon and eBay.
This I did not know. Guess the joke is ultimately on Borders. They cant seem to stop losing business to these guys.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #71
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
The big chains gave us an option, the customers chose that option.
What you say is frequently ignored by the people complaining.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #72
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
You said "especially the bigger ones." What makes them special?
Higher-priced accountants.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #73
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
They have no sense of irony, do they?

Borders and B&N drove thousands of small booksellers out of business, now it's their turn.
This makes it sound like before B&N there was a vibrant landscape of competitive independent small booksellers in every small town and suburb providing top-notch individualized service at marvellous prices, whereas in actuality we were more often captive to the mall bookstores and grocery/drugstore shelves with absolutely horrid selection and a clear priority to bestsellers. You had to go to a city to get to a quality, independent bookstore.

My only regret is that the big box bookstore era is over because B&N and Borders are fabulous compared to what came before.

Quote:
I also doubt they tore out their restrooms.
Might as well if the water's shut off.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #74
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
My ideal mall:
Bookstore
Shoe store
Children's clothing store
Kohl's (or something like it)
Target (this is non-negotiable)
Yarn store
Microcenter
Cinema
Arcade (DDR is a must)
Hot Topic
Game store (video games, board games, card games, you name it)

And the food court is required to have Mall Chinese, like a Panda Express. And a Taco Bell.
Our local mall food court is weirdly all Chinese. That is, the food stands have names of things like "Cajun Express" and the other standards but they all sell stir fry and other Chinese fast food on the side.

I also used to eat at a Mexican food court stand that sold curry on the side. I think their curry sold better than their chain restaurant food.

In my ideal mall, ALL the chain food court stands are like this!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #75
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
We've been known to try to think up the craziest combination of restaurant owner names/specialties possible (it comes from seeing "The Chateau - fine Italian food") and this naturally leads to things like "Pedro's Smorgasbord" and "Wolfgang's Chinese Palace" ... a Mexican food court that sells curry sounds like that silly game come to life.

Great, now I'm hungry. Worse yet, I want a curry burrito. Thanks, Joykins.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote