Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Seeking advice on good mystery mystery series.

Hi-

I am looking for advice from Mystery readers if they would be able to help me out. I am looking for any Mystery series you may know of that is actually about the Mystery. In this vain I mean books that are similar to Sherlock Holmes or the works of Agatha Christie. I dislike many of the new mystery novels as they have these parallel stories with the detective dealing with money problems, relationships, haunted memories from the past, and baggage I really don't care about. What I like is a story where something happens, then the whole book is about solving the mystery, not about the detective. I guess I am old fashioned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Nero Wolfe Series by Rex Stout.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't know if the Solar Pons stories by August Derleth are available as ebooks but, if not, they are certainly worth checking out in a paper format.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
carter dickson - henry merrivale series (locked room mystery)
erle stanley gardner - perry mason series (lawyer mystery - finds the criminal at the court)
ellery queen - ellery queen series (it is similar to locked room and agatha christie style)
edgar allan poe - auguste dupin series (the elder brother of the sherlock holmes and ehrcule poirot)
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Dorothy Sayer's books about Lord Peter Wimsey come to mind.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Looks like we're going back to the classics!

I suggest the Continental Op stories of Dashiell Hammett, the Philip Marlowe stories of Raymond Chandler and the Lew Archer stories of Ross MacDonald.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Looks like we're going back to the classics!

I suggest the Continental Op stories of Dashiell Hammett, the Philip Marlowe stories of Raymond Chandler and the Lew Archer stories of Ross MacDonald.
i think dashiell hammett and philip marlowe are more hard-boiled than hercule poirot and sherlock holmes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoa, almost forgot. Anything by John Dickson Carr.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Whoa, almost forgot. Anything by John Dickson Carr.
don't worry i wrote (carter dickson )
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Thank you all for your responses.

I have never been a fan of Hard-Boiled detectives so I am going to try the Ellery Queen series.

Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Nero Wolfe is not hard boiled. They are well written mysteries and are well worth reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post

don't worry i wrote (carter dickson )
I saw that, but since I like the novels he published as John Dickson Carr, I though both his pen names deserved to be in the thread.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Charlie Chan and Father Brown series both available in the MobileRead library.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I've said it before - but if you like Sherlock Holmes, you'll love Thorndyke, the original forensic investigator - here in the library, Harry's version ( and a new S.H's as well.).
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
coderserdar
Groupie

and you can read ngaio marsh books too