Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
What happened to $9.99?

Three books I've wanted to purchase, two that are out and one coming next week are ALL listed as $13 or above.

I know it is only $3 more, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few more weeks or take the plunge.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
isn't it the "Best Sellers" that are the ones that are promised at 9.99?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
isn't it the "Best Sellers" that are the ones that are promised at 9.99?
Yes...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
From the main Kindle page.

Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items. U.S. customers will be charged a fee of $1.99 for international downloads.

Amazon has never promised all books would be $9.99 or less.

"Edit.....with a little patience, the books will drop in price. May take a month, but they WILL drop........."

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Patience will pay off most of the time. I waited over a year for Atmospheric Disturbances to drop to 9.99 - but it did.

Interestingly enough, the first Flavia de Luce mystery still sells for 10.99, while the new one pre-orders for 9.99.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I see Sarah Palin's Going Rogue is available at this "best seller" price point. The Kindle edition even has text-to-speech enabled. Or you can buy the abridged audiobook for around $20. Hmmmm ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
jeffcdo
jeffcdo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Despite the lack of overhead prices for Kindle books continue to creep up, up up.
jeffcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcdo View Post
Despite the lack of overhead prices for Kindle books continue to creep up, up up.
This has been a fear of mine. Something to consider as I enter my second month of deciding which e-reader to buy (Sony or Kindle).
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I see Sarah Palin's Going Rogue is available at this "best seller" price point. The Kindle edition even has text-to-speech enabled. Or you can buy the abridged audiobook for around $20. Hmmmm ....
Is that in the fiction best sellers?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
crutnacker
Connoisseur

Yeah, I guess that's my fear is that as people start committing to the readers, the cost will creep up. Still better than buying a hardcover, but kind of ridiculous.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
I'd rather pay 11.99 than $20. Just as I'd rather pay $20 than $50-60 for tech books. I wish people would stop complaining about price. It is not price but value that is important.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
Is that in the fiction best sellers?
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
They can't go too much higher. Typically new edition hardbacks are 30% off in bookstores and some can be had for as little as 15 bucks early in release.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
Three books I've wanted to purchase, two that are out and one coming next week are ALL listed as $13 or above.

I know it is only $3 more, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few more weeks or take the plunge.
Are you outside USA? (What's you location) That could add $3-4. But prices have been quite varied lately, too. Perhaps Amazon aren't so aggressive in their pricing at the moment.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Frankly, I'm not so fussed that best sellers are $8, $10 or $12 since these volume books are used as "loss leaders" or, at any rate, low margin come-ons. The publishers (and authors) don't take a hit when Wal-mart charges $9 for a $24 best seller -- Wal-mart takes the hit. I want Amazon to continue to thrive so it can expand choice.

Where I would like to see savings are on the back catalogue items that should be considerably cheaper than trade paperbacks and lower than mass paperbacks. These are the "disposable" reads -- like Erle Stanley Gardner, Agathe Christie or Ross Macdonald. These books ought to be repackaged at $2.99 and $3.99 not $6.99 or $8.99. Just as they have done before, they can be brought out every few years in "new cover editions" and then discontinued for a time before returning again. Book stores can continue to carry selected paper editions and trade editions for the fans and collectors.

The magic of iTunes was getting people to pay for things they could quite easily steal. We all hear about the 99¢ price point but the album price is still $10 -- just like in the stores. You can't sell chapters of a book -- I grant that -- but a robust back catalogue at a realistic price with no-brainer purchase process will discourage the development of a no-brainer piracy movement.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote