Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just for clarity, they remain accessible even after you cancel your membership. They're tied to your _account_, not your _membership_.
I know but just like all my Kindle books are Alf'd as soon as I purchase them despite reading on a Kindle, I'd prefer my audiobooks to be liberated too even if I only use the Audible app.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I understand. I always liberate eBooks whenever I get them, it's part of my normal workflow getting them in to Calibre. But for audiobooks, I usually wait and batch them, since the whole process is much more of a pain. (I generally don't normally download aax format books, since they're so much larger than .aa books. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
1. Are you defending DT? You believe that no one can seriously intend to buy book that they do not already own?
That your personal example is evidence that it can't happen?

2. You post promos right here on MF that result in credits costing about $2.99. You wouldn't have used one of those on the book when the opportunity presented, had you not gotten it for free?
You're reading too much into my post. I was just citing an example of that last scenario. Shoppers come in many flavors. I happen to be a $2.99 variety, so I'm not a typical buyer. Others will pay the moon to get the book they want; I won't. To each his own.

I use anything that costs $2.99 or less to get an audiobook. Since this series never goes on sale, I have to rely on promos that range in price from free to $2.99 per credit to get the books. These promos more than likely come out of Audible's advertising budget, hence they're not true purchases. Without these promos or Whispersync deals, my buying at Audible would come to a screeching halt; even if it means leaving a series uncompleted.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #34
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I understand. I always liberate eBooks whenever I get them, it's part of my normal workflow getting them in to Calibre. But for audiobooks, I usually wait and batch them, since the whole process is much more of a pain. (I generally don't normally download aax format books, since they're so much larger than .aa books. )
What AnemicOak recommended works a treat - small and fast and I've found out how to get it to find aa files instead of aax
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Just for clarity, they remain accessible even after you cancel your membership. They're tied to your _account_, not your _membership_.

I have literally hundreds of Audible books tied to an account that no longer has a membership. I can (and do) activate them and listen to them on new computers and on my cell phone whenever I want to re-read them. It's NOT an issue.

(and while I have liberated them, I still prefer to listen to them in their non-MP3 format, because the Audible app is a better experience in lots of little, but important to me, ways. )
Yep
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
This is utterly ridiculous. I can't even understand why you are trying to contrive (much less convince others) that this is some ultra-limited zero-sum game, in whch all future outcomes are assured. Usually these arguments are used as rationalizations by folks who want to support the delusion that IP piracy is a good and helpful behavior, but in this case, I cant imagine.

Suffice to say (for the purpose of proving you patently wrong as can be easily done by even a single counter-example) that I personally can attest that I have personally not bought a book I would otherwise have bought because I got it for free.
And the money that I might have given to Audible, the publisher, the author, did not go to them, I spent it on lunch. It was Thai food. It was delicious.

QED.

ApK
So you are a leech as given by your counter argument taking advantage of a advertisemt. That is fine. You are stepping over the line by bunching me into the group that is pro IP piracy, though. Just remember it is NOT IP piracy what Amazon is doing as they are paying for all those "free" audiobooks under this program. By the way, if you didn't know - every advertisement has contigency for those that leech. Same as it has hooks to hook those that are happy with the service (e.g. audible membership) that they didn't know they would be happy with.

And you are assuming that all lost sales are hurting Amazon's bottom line? Think again. Amazon would be perfectly happy to reinvest some of their profits and create lost sales that might have otherwise resulted in a sale with a competitor.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote