Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #1366
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I just seen on Amazon that Cold Days is now only $12.99 instead of the $14.99 at release. How long is it going to take for it to reach the $9.99 the other books cost? And isn't that price change so short after release a slap in the face?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #1367
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Benedict Jacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd just re-read The Hobbit and then finished up my re-read of the three James Potter books and decided to give the Derrick Storm novelette trilogy a read, but right after beginning I paused to view the two videos in my last post here. In the Redondo Beach video Jim recommends Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Well it made me stop the Derrick Storm books and grab a copy of Fated, the first in the series. I've just started it and in the first Chapter Alex (he calls himself a mage and has a magic store in London) says:

Also on the cover there's a short blurb from Jim:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	97455
I guess I'll be reading this series next and Derrick Storm will go back on TBR for a while.

I finished Fated and enjoyed it a whole lot. If you're reading this you most likely like The Dresden Files and if that's true you'll probably like Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus books as well.

Now back to Derrick Storm.

P.S. Changed my mind, gonna' read Two Ghosts for Sister Rachael by Kim Harrison.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-09-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add a P.S.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #1368
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Odds are that you began reading the book series first then viewed and highly disliked the TV series' interpretation of Harry and his friends and exploits.
True. I had started with the novels early-on and was very excited when I heard about a TV series... and then actually tried to watch it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #1369
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've Finished Cold Days....

Wow! That's all I've got really...just Wow!

Spoiler:
I am disappointed about Maggie, though I fully understand his reasons as to why things are the way they are, especially after his conversation with Fix.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #1370
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I did the dumbest thing ever today. I bought Lee Child's Killing Floor for $13.99 since Cold Days is $18.99 and I just couldn't spend that kind of money on an ebook...only to discover after switching my amazon account to amazon.ca from .com that Cold Days is now $15.99 .

Note to self: Check pricing on the books you really want first before buying something you can live without for a bit.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #1371
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher Interview

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy Podcast #45

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #1372
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I did the dumbest thing ever today. I bought Lee Child's Killing Floor for $13.99 since Cold Days is $18.99 and I just couldn't spend that kind of money on an ebook...only to discover after switching my amazon account to amazon.ca from .com that Cold Days is now $15.99 .

Note to self: Check pricing on the books you really want first before buying something you can live without for a bit.
How much is CDN$ 15.99 in US$? The other day when I looked Cold Days was (and still is) US$12.99 on amazon.com (see post #1365). Maybe amazon.ca and amazon.com have similar prices, and you might save on currency transfer?

p.s.: Plus you could just give the book back and get Cold Days instead. Has not been 7 days has it?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-10-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #1373
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Hey Alan?

When did
Spoiler:
Odin, I mean Vadderung, I mean Kringle hitch a ride on your user pic
?

**Warning** Do NOT click on the spoiler tag if you have not read Cold Days!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #1374
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
When did
Spoiler:
?

Over the weekend!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #1375
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
When did
Spoiler:
?

Next time please post the Warning about the spoiler before the spoiler. I have not read Cold Days yet, and accidentally clicked the spoiler before I could see the red.

I am right now in Dead Beat in this spot:
Spoiler:
"Enough with sharing the emotions," I said. "We're gonna turn into women as we stand here. Get a move on."
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #1376
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool teenie weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Next time please post the Warning about the spoiler before the spoiler. I have not read Cold Days yet, and accidentally clicked the spoiler before I could see the red.

Spoiler:
"Enough with sharing the emotions," I said. "We're gonna turn into women as we stand here. Get a move on."
Don't worry about it, it's not a major spoiler, just a teenie weenie one!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #1377
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Don't worry about it, it's not a major spoiler, just a teenie weenie one!

It is not even a spoiler at all to me. By the time I get to it, I might not even remember.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #1378
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Deat Beat - Editor slipup

Found another little slipup of either Jim himself or an oversight of his editor. Happens just before chapter 28 and shortly into it.
Spoiler:
The power is out because of Cowl, but after Harry is done talking to Billy he As I rode down in the elevator, I had to admit that Billy might have a point. Except a little bit later at Shiela's apartment: ...before I realized that, duh, the power was out and I wasn't going to be able to ring her apartment.

Very interesting, unless elevators run on coals in Chicago, and are uneffected by a black out.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1379
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How much is CDN$ 15.99 in US$? The other day when I looked Cold Days was (and still is) US$12.99 on amazon.com (see post #1365). Maybe amazon.ca and amazon.com have similar prices, and you might save on currency transfer?

p.s.: Plus you could just give the book back and get Cold Days instead. Has not been 7 days has it?
I would give it back, but I can't stop reading it . Excellent book. I now have 5 series that I'm reading. I'm getting to the point where I just can't keep up . I still haven't even started on the Codex Alera series yet (thanks Alan).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #1380
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:

Spoiler:
I clicked the spoiler tag too. Got through the first 3 words before I realized what I did. I've seen numerous spoiler tags since Cold Days was released and this was the first one I clicked on . I need to be more careful.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy