Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #46
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
The irony of this is that it was a bugfix to the people that were complaining the battery of their kobo was dying unexpectedly due to them leaving it on all the time. i.e. its not a bug its a feature.
Yep, feature.
I do not complain for 35 seconds during power on. I spent a lot more time
on stupid things and waiting for the bus or else. Also, the same features
could be better after some code cleaning.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #47
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I have learnt to plan ever so slightly ahead; I often want to read when I am having a coffee; so at home, before I head to the kitchen I hit the power on button, and if I am out, before ordering at Timmies or elsewhere, I hit the power on.

Problem solved!

I sip the coffee and the device is ready for me.
Well, there you go, being practical. I do the same thing with my Kobo, when I think about it.

I don't understand why it can't just sleep like the Kindle, though. I haven't looked at my Kindle in about three weeks and it's still about 80% charged up, and it wasn't fully charged three weeks ago.

My page turns are waaay under what was advertised...I get maybe one book per charge. I'm thinking this is a hardware issue, now. Something just ain't right. This isn't a major problem, but it's less than what was promised. I don't feel that I could take it on a vacation without the charger.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #48
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I don't understand why it can't just sleep like the Kindle, though. I haven't looked at my Kindle in about three weeks and it's still about 80% charged up, and it wasn't fully charged three weeks ago.
Different hardware and different firmware. I think it depends on the
processes that stay alive. Imagine hard drive on the server that does
not spin down when idle for some time. It takes power and writes to
the file system also.

Quote:
My page turns are waaay under what was advertised...I get maybe one book per charge. I'm thinking this is a hardware issue, now. Something just ain't right.
Some batteries are just not smart. I replaced one on my laptop and now
I cannot make it to turn alarm light before it powers down automatically.
It is big help to have acpi, but not on embedded device like ereader.

The best would be to have a tool like "top" to see what is working on
the reader. Usb is a kind of serial adapter, but I'm not sure is it possible
to use it from default device.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Some folks have reported that the indicator is also not accurate--and that more juice remains then one would think. My battery life seems fine and has on all three Kobo readers that have lived in my house. As for taking a charger on holiday, well, since it uses the same one that my cell phone uses and I know I have to take that one anyway, it's just not a biggie.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #50
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Quote:
I don't feel that I could take it on a vacation without the charger
I have used my camera charger on a number of times with success.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #51
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I take a netbook that charges my Kobo or PRS-300 whilst on holidays. This means I only need to take a battery recharger (camera and my wife's JBL) and the Netbook AC adaptor.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #52
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I take a netbook that charges my Kobo or PRS-300 whilst on holidays.
There is a lot of newer stuff that does not fulfill standards. People
post about problems and after that solve them changing from usb
adapter to wall charger. You are quite lucky having it all well.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #53
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
...after that solve them changing from usb
adapter to wall charger. You are quite lucky having it all well.
My old HP Ipaq PDA wound not charge via USB if the battery went totally flat. It needed that extra "kick" from its mains charger.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote